Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

simon76
Rank 0
Rank 0

!!

Post by simon76 »

flyinhigh wrote:
simon76 wrote:Say what you want about flying for Kasper. He gives you a place to stay and that's worth about 5k a year in savings.

Do the math kids. Go fly for Kasper for 3 seasons. Get all the pic you need for your atpl. Apply to perimeter/bearskin with 1k hours, and work on a metro for a year and you will be at jazz less than 2 years in the industry.

Or you can be a ramp rat somewhere, pay rent, make 40 k a year. Get treated like shit. Barely get to fly. Waste 1-2 years and once you finally get a position flying you will wait 3 years to move up pic. So you will be at jazz in 5 years and what? Made a couple extra bucks? You probably just wasted all your extra money on rent and alcohol trying to suppress your feelings of being treated like shit on the ramp.

Get your cpl. Fly for Kasper for 8 months, jump a ramp Rat in line at company x once you have 1k hours and you will be at jazz or Porter in no time. Hate on Kasper all you want but really I think you will be way further ahead in the long run than anyone working a ramp spot
Troll.

So you make 1000 a month, and get lodging paid for at 5K a year. So I made 17K to work in shitty conditions. No I'll go work the ramp for 25K, for a reputable company and be happy.

How long have you been working there?
Just giving the other perspective. I think that's great you want to work the ramp for 25 k and you feel so accomplished. Hope you are as happy as you sound. What reputable company are you speaking of that pays less than minimum wage?

Truth is none of these options are reputable, none of them are to be so proud to be part of. But if your goal is to make it to porter or jazz ill bet kasper will get a 200 hour wonder there faster than a ramp spot. That awesome 25k a year ramp spot you are so proud of.
---------- ADS -----------

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: !!

Post by Grey_Wolf »

simon76 wrote:But if your goal is to make it to Porter or Jazz I'll bet kasper will get a 200 hour wonder there faster than a ramp spot. Get your cpl. Fly for Kasper for 8 months, jump a ramp Rat in line at company x once you have 1k hours and you will be at jazz or Porter in no time. Hate on Kasper all you want but really I think you will be way further ahead in the long run than anyone working a ramp spot
Probably so in terms of getting your total time up; but not so much in terms of reputation. Networking in this business is huge, and your name will precede you anywhere you go. If I don't know you, someone I do, definitely does. It's a small world!

Secondly, no company will give out the keys to a brand new CPL, and trust them with their airplane. Apprentice, Ramp, Wannabe (whatever you want to call it) Programs were created to see if they new hires could cut it and be trustworthy through their work ethic. Sadly, it's become what it is now, cheap labour; but that's another discussion.

Total time only matters in meeting the minimum requirements to apply for an airline job. Meeting those requirements does not guarantee you a job! It'll get you that proverbial "foot in the door". Having good references will also help widen that door.

How you interview, how you answer the questions, your personality, your reputation, your references, how you fit within the organisation, what the company is looking for in the ideal candidate, the number of spots available, and the quality of the applicant pool; will ultimately dictate if you get the job.

Long story short, you may get those hours quickly, but if you're one to break rules in order to "get er' done", step over someone to get to the next level, you may end up, scratching your head when no one calls you back for an interview.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Kasper air?

Post by AirMail »

why is this joke of an operation in the airline section?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Working the ramp is safer than flying for Kasper.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

$1000/month......Sweet. :rolleyes:

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Something strange in your neighborhood ,Who are you going to call ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m9We2XsVZfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: !!

Post by tipsails »

Grey_Wolf wrote:
Secondly, no company will give out the keys to a brand new CPL, and trust them with their airplane.
Completely false. Present yourself as a professional and people will treat you as such. Be honest in saying you're not interested in ramp and wannabe jobs, and you you'll quickly find yourself pointed in the right direction for a flying job. I know of many places who give low time/new pilots a chance. If you walk in thinking you're only worth a ramp job, a ramp job is all they will give you.

Believing the quoted statement is just a way of justifying having done a ramp/wannabe position but should not be considered the new norm.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Tipsails, I believe we are on the same page when it comes to attitude and work ethic. Being a professional encompasses many skills and traits (Competence, Reliability, Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Positivity, etc..). Employers look for these skills and more before they give the keys to a new CPL. If you're looking for a flying job, then go for it!

If there are no flying jobs, then a ramp position might be a stop gap in the meantime. Know the company you're applying to, and understand their hiring practices. Some companies have contractual obligations with regards to minimum pilot qualifications. If it's a 703/704 that only hires from the ramp; then it's a hoop that you have to go through IF you want to fly for that company. If you're not interested, then don't apply.

I still stand by what I've said. "No company will give out the keys to a brand new CPL, and trust them with their airplane". I'd be surprised to find a 300 hour wonder in a commercial operation, being PIC, of a 9 passenger airplane, flying with an ops spec of 1 mile / 300'.

With that said, I've flown with low time guys (less than 1000TT), who got in the right seat, learnt the job; and were promoted 6 months to a year later to Captain.

All the best out there!

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Dash-6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash-6 »

Does Kasper require a bond and money up front? And if yes how much!! This post Intrigue's me

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Dash-6 wrote:Does Kasper require a bond and money up front? And if yes how much!! This post Intrigue's me

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Waterdog20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Waterdog20 »

Dash-6 wrote:Does Kasper require a bond and money up front? And if yes how much!! This post Intrigue's me
$4000 training bond with interest

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”