Wasaya caravan missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wasaya caravan missing

Post by glorifieddriver »

edited out the insults. You can probably get your point across more effectively without the strong wording For the respect for our fellow aviators please, let's not write our thoughts and opinions. Wait for the facts, for now lets extend our hope for the pilot! I hope he is okay
---------- ADS -----------

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

hoping for an early Xmas miracle...

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
D_Thissen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by D_Thissen »

KAG wrote:hoping for an early Xmas miracle...
X1,000,000!

Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

+1

Hope he's ok out there tonight. Terrible news :(

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

You all need to shut you effing pie holes before you come up with smart A$$ comments about something you have no idea about.
It appears to me that nearly every post in this thread primarily expresses concern for the pilot's well being, and best wishes....
.....let's not write our thoughts and opinions.
On a forum who's stated purpose is to present:
Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft .......
??

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – December 12, 2015

Thunder Bay, ON, December 12, 2015 – Wasaya Airways has learned Search And Rescue (SARs) ground crews have reached the aircraft site of Wasaya flight 127.

Upon arrival, crews found the lone occupant of the aircraft, our Captain Nick Little, not responsive and he could not be resuscitated. Rescue crews are on site now and will remain on site through the night awaiting additional resources to airlift our fallen crew member home.
================
from me below

RIP Captain Nick Little
Godspeed Sir :(

D_Thissen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by D_Thissen »

bizjets101 wrote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – December 12, 2015

Thunder Bay, ON, December 12, 2015 – Wasaya Airways has learned Search And Rescue (SARs) ground crews have reached the aircraft site of Wasaya flight 127.

Upon arrival, crews found the lone occupant of the aircraft, our Captain Nick Little, not responsive and he could not be resuscitated. Rescue crews are on site now and will remain on site through the night awaiting additional resources to airlift our fallen crew member home.
================
from me below

RIP Captain Nick Little
Godspeed Sir :(
That's horrible news :(
I met Nick back in July '12 when we were both FO's on the PC-12. RIP buddy :( :(

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

SmokinJoe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SmokinJoe »

This is sad horrible news. I also knew Nick.

I know this operator has an ops spec to be VFR in uncontrolled airspace at 300ft and 1 mile vis, this needs to be done away with. It is not conducive to safety and needs to be done away with. A caravan has no business flying around in those conditions.

-Rockin In The Free World
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I am so sorry to hear this. I flew out of Pickle for several years, and I remember all the pilots from various companies knew each other. Things like this hurt us all. Keep each other close.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I am so sorry to hear this news.
Good speed.
Fly safe all.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NAT2 »

Dammit all.

Really thinking about his family and how hard this is.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

sad to hear this.

New Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by New Flyer »

Horrible news. Came in this morning hoping for the best.
Can't imagine what this poor families Christmas is going to be like.

And on a very related note........the day and age of trying to deice a Caravan, or any other aircraft for that matter, using only a backpack with room temperature glycol, and only the pressure of a little hand wand, has passed. Long ago.
I have been working in this business, at a northern base, for almost thirty years.
I have seen SMS come in, and deal effectively with smaller issues (that common sense should have solved), while larger operational concerns went unchecked. Like incredibly ineffective deicing. To this day, I see smaller aircraft come in covered in ice, and the poor crews whacking away at the leading edge with a broom handle and then this tiny little stream of glycol that accomplishes exactly nothing!!!

I know some may say that this is not the time or place to post this. But to me, this is exactly the time and place!

My condolences to the family.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

I can't imagine what it could gave been like to successfully land the plane, possibly hear the SAR aircraft above only to hear them turn around and wait 12 hours and have the cold take your life. Remember everyone, dress warmly and remember that the weather you decide to fly in is the weather SAR will have to fight with if you were ever to need rescue. Fly safe.

Rest in peace Nick Little.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Was the plane landed successfully or was it just bad info?

I can't imagine someone dying of hypothermia inside of 12 hours while being inside an airplane with a heater. It wasn't even that cold outside.

My condolences to the family.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Was the plane damaged in the landing ? What were the temperatures that day/night ?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

SAR said it looked to be in one piece, no smoke, no fire. However we don't know if perhaps in the landing he could have hit is head and become incapacitated. One would think that if he landed safely that his radios would still work, and he would be able to run the heater to stay warm.. so logic would presume he passed in the crash or shortly after.

I want make sure the SAR and OPP are recognized here as well for their efforts in reaching the aircraft. It was not a great day in NWO yesterday and fighting freezing rain, low ceilings and cold temperatures they trekked nearly 30km through the bush in the dark to reach the plane. It's sad that this was the outcome.

Digits, it was around -5* in the Pickle Area yesterday.

TheFrankestFrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheFrankestFrank »

Many facts to come yet so a little early to be trying speculate as to whether the pilot succumbed to cold or injuries sustained. My comment is directed to the person that talked about inadequate de-icing facilities. Although I agree de-icing in remote communities can be and is a problem it had nothing to do with this event. This was an in-flight icing encounter, the flight encountered ice while en-route and a decision to return to Pickle Lake was made, the flight did not make it. Many things will be examined by the TSB and the regulator going forward, lets hope they are able to determine the true root causes of how and why this happened. I can assure it isn't as simple as the aircraft encountering icing that was beyond the capabilities of the aircraft.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

Save the speculation and inferiority complex malfunctions for another day. Many family and friends just woke up to very tragic news and it's going to be a very difficult season for them.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of Nick. My deepest condolences.

Fly safe people.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”