Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Callsign

Post by GRK2 »

noflyzone:

Missed by miles you did...not even close...you also got the level for direction of flight wrong...schoolboy error. Fail...
As for why I'm not working for a Canadian carrier? Simple...I don't have to put up with A**holes like you!
Happy New Year!
---------- ADS -----------

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Peace on earth, no more poverty, children laughing and playing then this... "Character" voices his flight level first world "problem". Laughable and frankly I would be embarrassed to be you. But free speech right? Fly safe and focus on your job, for your passengers sake.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

It's a tad grandiose to assign all of the attributes that GRK2 does to a callsign. DEW line? Opening up the high arctic? The CALL SIGN did that? Uhh, ok.

I mean, I consider myself a fairly sentimental sort, a minor aviation history buff, whose first ride on a Wardair 74 was probably responsible for his aviation affliction.

So I'm trying to think of something I could possibly care less about than this, but...can't.

I too will from time to time cross the pole and hear the "Empress" callsign, I'm guessing I'm about the same vintage as GRK2, but it makes me smile, not get angry.

??

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

We are damned proud to use "Empress" knowing it's history and how it ties to our airline. We just retired our last CP 737-200 combi, KCP. Now we are left with a former Nordair machine, NDU, 2 PWA combis, OPW and SPW. And my favourite, DPA, a former Dome petroleum combi 200.

Maybe you are unhappy when you hear us as you fly over northern Canada because you wish you could be commanding a mighty -200 into a short gravel runway because for damned sure we are smiling!

Happy holidays!

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Tried Googling the press release I remember reading years ago when MPE was awarded the Empress call sign. There was a brief history explaining how it was a piece of history and they (Canadian North) are associated with, Canadian Airlines, the call sign and morphing into Canadian North. Of course I am paraphrasing here and my apologies for any wrongful quote stated above.

So, GRK2, if you are so nostalgic, you would be fully aware of the history associated with the airline and the call sign. I am very nostalgic myself and appreciate the use of said call sign. So I look at it this way. At least no start up and/or now defunct tin can carrier used it just because they could.

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”