Float rating for 2016 season

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Float rating for 2016 season

Post by digits_ »

TheNorthman wrote:It's just trying to work out whether the cost of doing all the extra hours to try and increase the chance of getting a job is worth it or not.
I wouldn't think that just doing 50 hours to increase your chance for a job would really work. However, if you spend 10 hours on increasing your skill level, that will work. If a company gives you a chance, and your landings suck, you can't fly a stable approach, you are going full speed into the dock etc, then it will really hurt your chances of getting hired there.

So spend your money on improving the most basic skills in the type of flying (in your case float flying) you want to get hired in. Doesn't matter how many hours, as long as you get somewhat consistent and decent in it.
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Excuse me, "never dock downwind"? You mean when the dock is parallel with the wind or 90 degrees to the wind? You should clarify, the 90 degree docking downwind makes you look really good as long as you remember to pull up your rudders.

Float flying is a hoot. Beware the (we used to call it the thousand hour disease) over-confidence that comes with experience. That is when you over-estimate your ability and if you're lucky you only bend tin. Float flying is like skiing, motorcycling flying and sailing all combined and some get quite good at it. 8^) Just remember the feelings and the challenges that you face when you start out, then remember those feelings when you are thinking you are sh#t hot.

The single most important skill and one of the hardest when starting out is learning to read the water: the wind, swells and gusts (particularly).

One last thing (before I hunt down some butter tarts) that is frequently overlooked, is learn the rules of the road. You are suddenly turned into a boat as soon as you touch the water and so you have to follow all of those rules too. You will quickly learn that many boat operators hardly have a clue (you have to wonder how some people dress and feed themselves) so take a Power Squadron course or just read the books. Sooner or later you will be operating into Nanaimo or Kenora and you won't get any respect.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

xsbank wrote:Excuse me, "never dock downwind"? You mean when the dock is parallel with the wind or 90 degrees to the wind?

Parallel :oops:
xsbank wrote: The single most important skill and one of the hardest when starting out is learning to read the water: the wind, swells and gusts (particularly).
Agreed

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

I've already posted on the flight training forum, but maybe it's appropriate on this thread, too. I've been looking to do float training myself, and the best deal I've found so far was Pacific Seaplanes. They're doing the rating for $1699.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”