Headset for jets

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yhzbe02
Rank 0
Rank 0

Headset for jets

Post by yhzbe02 »

Any suggestions on a good headset that is light and has some noise cancelling features for a jet?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Headset for jets

Post by Donald »

Telex 850 does a good job, and uses aircraft power instead of a battery pack.

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

I had a Telex 850 didn't quite do it for me but some of my buds swear by it. I now love the Model DC PRO-X the draw back is a little more weight than the Telex and it needs batteries about every 10 Hrs or so but it is extremely quiet. Scary quiet!

The 850 is an excellent choice but the DC is noticeably quieter.

Jim

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Some variables:

- How noisy it is?
Telex 850's might be enough, might not be

- How long are the flights?
10 hour battery life on a 14-17 hour flight means carrying spares, keeping them charged, etc.

- How are the a/c wired?
Some fleets have XLR jacks to carry power on the spare pins, eliminating the need for batteries.

- Are you using it in one a/c or many, with different configurations?
Obviously this will affect your choice.

- Do your a/c use hot mic intercoms full-time, or not?
ANC is actually a detriment to your hearing if you're going to be wearing it over only one ear.

My personal recommendation would be the Clarity Aloft headset. No power required, incredible passive noise attenuation, and no weight on top of the head.

http://www.clarityaloft.com/pages/aviation-headsets

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
yhzbe02
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yhzbe02 »

Thanks for the replies folks. I was looking at the telex, but I have gotten mixed reviews on it. The DC wouldn't do it for me, has some flights will be over 10 hours.

Have any of you guys heard of Halo Headsets? I just stumbled upon these on Google.

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index. ... duct_id=51

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I've worn the HMC46 Seinheiser and the Bose A2 while flying RJ's. The Bose is great in the CRJ900 which is so bloody loud in the cockpit. The Seinheiser is perfect in the CRJ200.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I used my old Bose in the 727 for 3 years without much trouble. Now using it in a DC10. Battery life is pretty good. I actually don't know how long they last, but I just finished an almost 20 hour trip and the batteries are still good.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

Use my Bose A20 in the bus, works very well, nice and comfy!

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

Was about to ask if anybody had the Sennheiser and how they were but they are leaving the market!?!?

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/aviation-headsets

Will stay with my Bose A20! :D

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Bose A20. I love them.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Clarity aloft hands down!
After using them you just can't go back to a normal headset.

The halo (quiet technology) is just a cheap version of the clarity aloft, I don't recommend.

springlocked
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by springlocked »

In ear with custom ear buds - I used the lightspeed for years and was the best. Unfortunately they are no longer made but I have seen a few new ones kicking around on ebay and amazon. With the custom fit they have 30db passive protection for those noisy flight decks and lets say once you go to a head set that has no head band and weighs a few grams instead of ponds you will never want to go back. The ultimate for me would be an active in-ear - now that would be the ultimate in comfort and quiet. I hate ear muffs.

dirk82
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirk82 »

Bose QC 15 and a Ufly mike. Best set up for a fraction of the cost

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

If you are only getting 10 hours battery life on you DC PRO-X then I think you should be getting in touch with the people at DC. I have a PRO-X and have been using it on the 737 for a year now. I always get 50+ hrs per set of batteries.

I have also used the A20 and to be honest they have better noise cancelling but the size of the A20 was a big draw back for me. The PRO-X is small, light and easy to fit in your bag. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Maritimer wrote:If you are only getting 10 hours battery life on you DC PRO-X then I think you should be getting in touch with the people at DC. I have a PRO-X and have been using it on the 737 for a year now. I always get 50+ hrs per set of batteries.

I have also used the A20 and to be honest they have better noise cancelling but the size of the A20 was a big draw back for me. The PRO-X is small, light and easy to fit in your bag. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
I second that! I easily get 50+ hours in the Boeing with my DC PRO-X using rechargeable batteries.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

J31 wrote:
Maritimer wrote:If you are only getting 10 hours battery life on you DC PRO-X then I think you should be getting in touch with the people at DC. I have a PRO-X and have been using it on the 737 for a year now. I always get 50+ hrs per set of batteries.

I second that! I easily get 50+ hours in the Boeing with my DC PRO-X using rechargeable batteries.
He's getting the free ones from maintenance. You get what you pay for

Mr. 3Green
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. 3Green »

dirk82 wrote:Bose QC 15 and a Ufly mike. Best set up for a fraction of the cost
I have to agree about the QC15. I've been using it on the NG for 2 years, absolutely love them. The balance of great noise cancelling as well as the practicality for deadheads and outside the flight-deck needs is perfect.

DutyFree
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DutyFree »

What you flying? How long are the legs? I've done the Sen, DC, Bose, lightning, telex and have always gone back to the telex 850. I do have a brand new ufly for the QC15 used 2X (brand new). Pm me if you want it.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

I've used the Seneiser HMEC 45, Bose A20 and Halo. Hands down the Halo is the best and most comfortable headset I've ever owned. I used it on the CRJ for 2 years as well as on the Dash. Just as good noise reduction as the Bose at 1/3 the price.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

twinpratts wrote:Bose A20. I love them.
+1, great headset for jets. Although I can't speak for smaller jets.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”