13 postings for over 20 float jobs in Jan alone!

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Rank 7
Rank 7

13 postings for over 20 float jobs in Jan alone!

Post by 180 »

Can't help but notice 13 separate companies posting for over 20 float positions in January alone! I've kept a close eye on the Avcanada job board over the past decade, and never have I seen this before! A few operators getting a jump on the season, yes, but never 13 separate companies in January alone!
---------- ADS -----------

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: 13 postings for over 20 float jobs in Jan alone!

Post by skybaron »

Yippee! :roll:

Roll out the increased wages and better working conditions for all!

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

As long as the airlines keep hiring it should be a very good year for us 703 drivers, The pendulum is swinging back!

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

It's interesting to see as well some of the jobs asking for low time or just previous commercial experience for operating a Norseman or an Otter, even a beaver. Hopefully us float drivers will be able to have a bit of an edge in the next few seasons.

DPB

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

I understand that even our national Chinese float operator, Harbour Air, is paying a little more for their so called Full Time "Seasonal" :lol: positions. Probably close to minimum wage for the cost of living in Vancouver.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I've seen quite a few fresh unpainted amphib 208s flying out of the NE for China.

It's a good time to be a float driver.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Maybe I should be moonlighting on the side! Always wanted to get my hands on the N6 or a polish otter, beech 18 etc.

So long as the wages and conditions are right :wink:

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

With float flying, it's an equilibrium of Misery, Poverty & Danger. Thus - in your case, you want to maximize money so you must increase Misery & Danger. So, you must find a seat in a disease ridden hell-hole, flying a trashed out airplane in an operation run by a psychotic criminal and being occasionally shot at by drunken teenage "soldiers".

Ask me how I know this.
Rowdy wrote:Maybe I should be moonlighting on the side! Always wanted to get my hands on the N6 or a polish otter, beech 18 etc.

So long as the wages and conditions are right :wink:

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

geodoc wrote:With float flying, it's an equilibrium of Misery, Poverty & Danger. Thus - in your case, you want to maximize money so you must increase Misery & Danger. So, you must find a seat in a disease ridden hell-hole, flying a trashed out airplane in an operation run by a psychotic criminal and being occasionally shot at by drunken teenage "soldiers".

Ask me how I know this.

How do you know this? :)

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Well, OK .............. full disclosure - not on floats, in a Twin Otter though. Still, same rules apply.

Freetown, Sierra Leone / Monrovia Liberia - 1992. Chaos, disease, armed stoned teenagers, nitwit management, wishful thinking maintenance, bullet hole found in horiz. stab post flight. A little flag went up at pre-dispatch out of briefing at US HQ we were informed that "the limit of small arms fire is about 3000 feet". uh-oh .................

Still, the money was pretty good.

You can still balance all the factors towards the less horrible and make decent money if only you can find management / owners that are evil, duplicitous, conniving & stupid enough.
Rudder Bug wrote:
geodoc wrote:With float flying, it's an equilibrium of Misery, Poverty & Danger. Thus - in your case, you want to maximize money so you must increase Misery & Danger. So, you must find a seat in a disease ridden hell-hole, flying a trashed out airplane in an operation run by a psychotic criminal and being occasionally shot at by drunken teenage "soldiers".

Ask me how I know this.

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Considering 99% of fresh CPLs want to go straight to the 704/705 jobs this isn't that surprising, but makes me very happy anyways!

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

What fun is that? Head to The Republic of Congo & get a DC6 right seat gig!

Or head for Columbia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-F-cBF5ZbQ
BeaverDreamer wrote:Considering 99% of fresh CPLs want to go straight to the 704/705 jobs this isn't that surprising, but makes me very happy anyways!

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Rudder Bug wrote:

Ask me how I know this.

Sure, it takes some sacrifice, but just look at what geodoc's home must look like. Bet he even has a nice little Caravan tied up to the dock out front, just next to the Boston Whaler.

More legal than flying for the cartel, but seemingly with all the same excitement. :wink:

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Didn't work out that way.

Man - I'm so broke I can't even pay attention.
Panama Jack wrote:
Rudder Bug wrote:

Ask me how I know this.

Sure, it takes some sacrifice, but just look at what geodoc's home must look like. Bet he even has a nice little Caravan tied up to the dock out front, just next to the Boston Whaler.

More legal than flying for the cartel, but seemingly with all the same excitement. :wink:

PZL 1000
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PZL 1000 »

Hey GeoDoc,

It sounds like you had a fun and interesting life. I hate to break it to you but I've experienced most of those things right in Canada :)

One day my buddy the lodge owner and I were watching satellite TV while waiting for the ice to break-up further north at the lodge. We had a wobbly pop or two on the go. I heard some odd cracking sounds. I glanced inquiringly over at my buddy, but he was already on his knees and elbows crawling towards the back of the house. He knew the sound of bullets ripping through a house from previous experience in a far away jungle. I followed suit but somehow ended up in an armed boat chase at dusk. Next time I will forego on the blaze orange life jacket...

Bush flying can be fun, dangerous, and educational. I've enjoyed it, hated it, and made a living doing it. It seems that the requirements are going down right now which is good. That is how it used to be. It is too bad a lot of the trappers are gone and ski flying is just about extinct.

Have a good float season folks.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Any hope for guys with 500 total and about 100 hours on floats to find something soon?

Thanks

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

From what it looks like, it's promising. Fire out some resumes!

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Funny. I only have 4500 hr on floats up to and including twin otters. No bites yet. Maybe they know I want top dollar. Especially those charging U.S. fees.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”