737 Max delivery

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

737 Max delivery

Post by Anticyclone »

Hey guys, do you have any ideas when will be the 1st delivery of the 737 max??

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 737 Max delivery

Post by LTD »

Latest fleet plan says about 18 operating in 2018 mix of -8 and -9s. Followed by a fleet of approximately 35 in 2019. And over 50 in 2020....
I've also heard maybe 2 or so operating as early as late 2017.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

I've always been curious why AC bought 900s. WJ has decided to steer clear of them. Something about brake energy limits.

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

brooks wrote:I've always been curious why AC bought 900s. WJ has decided to steer clear of them. Something about brake energy limits.
Hi Brooks,
Why wouldn't Air Canada want -9s!? They probably purchased the -9s simply to replace the 321. I'm not a business/airline expert but also guessing the rasm and casm are good for this variant given room for approximately 200 passengers depending on configuration similar to 321s.. Only with better range and lower operating costs.

As for the "break energy" issue you speak of, unsure exactly what you mean by that nor how this specific issue would be a deciding factor in the procurement of an aircraft. But if you are simply referring to brake temperature limits I can't imagine it being a significant issue as it isn't a huge deal on the 321 that happens to be slightly heavier than the 737-9..

Maybe someone who has experience with the 737 can add to this as I would be very curious to know if this is really a significant issue with the brakes.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

With the -900 at certain landing weights there's a minimum turn-around time that has to be adhered to. Can be up to an hourish if I remember. Allow the brakes to cool. Not sure if you can get brake fans to help on that 37. The A321 has brake fans I'm pretty sure.

So the -900 may hoop up your schedule if you plan on quick turnarounds.

I'm sure by the new MAX -9 they'll be some new fancy brake or something.

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

plhought wrote:With the -900 at certain landing weights there's a minimum turn-around time that has to be adhered to. Can be up to an hourish if I remember. Allow the brakes to cool. Not sure if you can get brake fans to help on that 37. The A321 has brake fans I'm pretty sure.

So the -900 may hoop up your schedule if you plan on quick turnarounds.

I'm sure by the new MAX -9 they'll be some new fancy brake or something.

Interesting...!
So the limitation on 737s is based on time and not an actual brake temperature? On the 321 you just can't takeoff with brake temperature at or above 300C. So with the 321(and 320, 319) proper brake temperature management (more reverse during landing, longer landing rollout, higher flap setting,etc) help keep brake temperature within a range that shouldn't delay your takeoff. And yes, some 321s have brake fans installed for additional cooling but not all do..

Does the 737 have break temperature indications? If not, indeed you would have no choice but to respect a timetable on some kind that I could imagine would be more restrictive and could cause undesirable delays on quicker turn.

Thanks for the information plhought.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Brake temperature indication is an option on the NG 737s. I'm pretty sure though it is standard on the -900's because of the weight though. There is a carbon brake package available too.

Even if equipped - the brake temp indication may not be available immediately to the pilots - it may be only viewable through the Maint. pages in the FMC.

On the -900 the problem isn't with an indication it's the lack of brake fans really. There's charts in the manuals to determine cooling time from a certain weight & temperature & type of braking etc etc. Ya look them up and they are talking in the millions of foot pounds...crazy stuff.

Defer a thrust reverser and things could get pretty hairy.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Hello Aviators,

The temperature indicator BTMS ( brake temperature monitoring system) is optional in all the NG including the 900 however the reading is only reliable 15 mins after tuchdown a good rule of thumb would be if you smell the rubber from L1 door you re in the umber band so no movement for the next 40-50 mins this only occurs when landing without reverses in T above 35 C.

The Brake system and the tyres on the 900 are diffrent than the 800 series can t swap.

The beauty of the 900 is that for about 3 tonnes more on the DOW and the same engines as the 800 (CFM 56-7, 26K) you can stuff 26 more pax on the full economy version and 21 more if you fit it with a business class comparing to the 800 and above all the fuel consumption stays the same.

From an operator point of view the 900"s are better however no clue about the price diffrence.

Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wheels »

Any room for Bombardiers C-Series in Air Canada's fleet in the coming years?
You would think the government would pressure them into buying local.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

I fly the NG , the 900 gives better
Payload for the same range , useful for any high density legs. It does not give you more endurance which is why WJ never went for it .

aycarumba
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aycarumba »

Wheels wrote:Any room for Bombardiers C-Series in Air Canada's fleet in the coming years?
Maybe jazz? Historically jazz brought all Bombardier 705 machine. If AC stop limiting the number of seats that jazz can fly; I can see Jazz/Sky/Georgian getting some C-series

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

aycarumba wrote:
Wheels wrote:Any room for Bombardiers C-Series in Air Canada's fleet in the coming years?
Maybe jazz? Historically jazz brought all Bombardier 705 machine. If AC stop limiting the number of seats that jazz can fly; I can see Jazz/Sky/Georgian getting some C-series

Incase you missed it, nothing larger than 76 seats at the regionals for at least the next decade was just written into the ACPA contract. Stop these nonsense comments about C-Series "making sense" under the express brand. I am not naive enough to say "never." As we all know how eager pilots are willing to do the same job for less and anything can and will change in this industry.

[saecasm] Why doesn't the government pressure Team Teal into buying them and putting them at Encore?? [/sarcasm]

Why people keep wanting more regional jobs and less mainline jobs is beyond me.

-Jimmy

Edit: Sorry for the thread drift.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Lt. Daniel Kaffee »

Since no one answered the original question, the first deliveries are scheduled for the 4th quarter 2017.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Lt. Daniel Kaffee wrote:Since no one answered the original question, the first deliveries are scheduled for the 4th quarter 2017.

All you did was weaken a country today Kaffee! Sweet dreams son!

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Jimmy_Hoffa wrote:
aycarumba wrote:

Incase you missed it, nothing larger than 76 seats at the regionals for at least the next decade was just written into the ACPA contract. Stop these nonsense comments about C-Series "making sense" under the express brand. I am not naive enough to say "never." As we all know how eager pilots are willing to do the same job for less and anything can and will change in this industry.

[saecasm] Why doesn't the government pressure Team Teal into buying them and putting them at Encore?? [/sarcasm]

-Jimmy

Jazz already has 78 seat aircraft

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

av8ts wrote:
Jazz already has 78 seat aircraft
The limit is 80 seat prop and 76 seat jet or ACPA seniority list flies it.

I highly doubt that will change. With DAL now planning to fly the E190 at mainline it just reinforces where the line of demarcation lies.

This issue could only be revisited perhaps on the subject of the CRJ1000 or a stretched Q400 at AC Express. And ACPA would be expecting a serious quid pro quo from AC to even consider scope relief. It would have to add jobs at mainline, not cost mainline positions.

Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wheels »

-Jimmy

My question had nothing to do with wanting more regional jobs Captain Jimmy. It was obviously a valid inquiry with the recent news. God forbid anyone asks a simple question on here.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

Nice call Wheels!
http://www.bombardier.com/en/media/news ... ercom.html
Bombardier Commercial Aircraft and Air Canada announced today that the parties have signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) for the sale and purchase of 45 CS300 aircraft with options for an additional 30 CS300 aircraft, which also includes conversion rights to CS100 aircraft.

Return to “Air Canada”