Online Testing and Short Essay

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Online Testing and Short Essay

Post by ProfessionalATC »

Hello all.

I have searched through the message board and I haven't come across much information on the very first stage of the selection process which is filling out the application, writing a short essay and doing the online cognitive test. If there are other post on these questions I apologize in advance.

This is what it states on the Nav Canada website.

Complete Online Testing
In the next step, you’ll complete an online test. Take this cognitive test seriously as it is the first major hurdle. Approximately 40 per cent of applicants are successful at this stage.

What kind of questions should be anticipated in this cognitive section? Is it anything that you can prepare for? Should i expect abstract spatial orientation questions or more math based questions? I heard somewhere that its 30 questions to be done in 8 minutes? Can anyone confirm this or elaborate on it as much as you can. This would be very much appreciated.
Only 40% of the applicants are successful here so it should be something that we pay attention to, as much as the in person assessment.

I have also read about a personality assessment on the forum also, at what stage do you do the personality assessment?

Thank You
---------- ADS -----------

navcanhopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Online Testing and Short Essay

Post by navcanhopeful »

Its something like the Wonderlic, I really dont think there is any possible way to prepare for this part. It either goes well or it doesnt.

fanman888
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fanman888 »

Bring everything they tell you to bring.

-pencils
-pens
-eraser
-ruler if you're allowed
-money for the testing fee
-ID (one government ID with picture and another that shows you're a Canadian citizen, don't mess this up because you can be denied doing the test, then you're SOL)

Download the SIM practice questions and learn to do them. Also, claim as much desk space as you can. Don't be a dick about it, but try to claim what is rightfully yours or sit secluded from everyone else. You will be flipping a lot of pages, and ample work space can help you a lot. I sat at the front and we were all pretty squished.

Afterthat, nothing really can help you. Just try your best and get a good nights sleep before the test. I ended up staying at the hotel where they were doing the testing so I didn't need to travel (had to travel 3 hours to get to the location), alleviated a lot of unnecessary stress.

EDIT: Sorry, totally mis-read that as the in-person test. For the online test, just make sure you're in an area where there are no distractions for the entire duration. You'll be fine.

Last edited by fanman888 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSteamingPile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSteamingPile »

ProfessionalATC wrote:Hello all.

I have searched through the message board and I haven't come across much information on the very first stage of the selection process which is filling out the application, writing a short essay and doing the online cognitive test. If there are other post on these questions I apologize in advance.

Complete Online Testing
In the next step, you’ll complete an online test. Take this cognitive test seriously as it is the first major hurdle. Approximately 40 per cent of applicants are successful at this stage.

What kind of questions should be anticipated in this cognitive section? Is it anything that you can prepare for? Should i expect abstract spatial orientation questions or more math based questions? I heard somewhere that its 30 questions to be done in 8 minutes? Can anyone confirm this or elaborate on it as much as you can. This would be very much appreciated.
Only 40% of the applicants are successful here so it should be something that we pay attention to, as much as the in person assessment.

I have also read about a personality assessment on the forum also, at what stage do you do the personality assessment?

Thank You
I believe the personality assessment has been removed. There isn't much to studyfor the online test. Just do it.

Zuludog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zuludog »

TheSteamingPile wrote:
ProfessionalATC wrote:Hello all.

Complete Online Testing

Thank You
I believe the personality assessment has been removed. There isn't much to studyfor the online test. Just do it.
The statement above pretty much sums up the first test.
There is some personality questions but if I remember correctly they're more along the line of "Do you prefer working alone or in groups?". There is something like 30 questions in 8 minutes and just make sure you're in the mood to write and give it a shot. Be honest and answer quickly, the real tests are still to come. :)

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Thank you all. I am here trying to read everything I can and am also nervous about starting the application. It however doesnt seem like there is much I can do so I think I need to just do it.

Zuludog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zuludog »

Professional ATC - Which region are you in?
Good luck with your tests and in the whole process. :D

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Zuludog wrote:Professional ATC - Which region are you in?
Good luck with your tests and in the whole process. :D
Hey man. Thank you. I'm in YEG.
What region are you in ?

maxim814
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maxim814 »

I am trying to do the cognitive test but it just directs me to a blank page? I have disabled all my ad blockers and even tried it on 3 different web browsers.

Any suggestions?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

maxim814 wrote:I am trying to do the cognitive test but it just directs me to a blank page? I have disabled all my ad blockers and even tried it on 3 different web browsers.

Any suggestions?
Try using another browser maybe? If not contact Nav Canada and they can assist you.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”