Training Changes....

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

W0XOF
Rank 4
Rank 4

Training Changes....

Post by W0XOF »

Some info regarding changes to the abinitio training program are starting to make its way around the regions. Keep an eye out for official info when it comes out. Very positive changes with the ultimate goal of attracting the best candidates.
---------- ADS -----------

Read you 2 by 2. Too loud and too often!
skier_777
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Training Changes....

Post by skier_777 »

W0XOF wrote:Some info regarding changes to the abinitio training program are starting to make its way around the regions. Keep an eye out for official info when it comes out. Very positive changes with the ultimate goal of attracting the best candidates.
I hope it is at least 50k a year from day 1 of training....... or maybe salary match to what you currently make. In my mind that is the show stopper for anyone with a bit of life experience already.

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ProfessionalATC »

Paying the candidates as they do classroom training would definitely help them recruit the best candidates. I think there are a lot of good people who would have otherwise attempt it if this portion was paid. There are other things they could do which would be an improvement to ab initio training but i guess we just have to wait for the official announcement.

poseidon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by poseidon »

It would be nice if you got paid during training, but i don't think that will happen

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Any idea when these changes will be announced?

crazy horse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crazy horse »

poseidon wrote:It would be nice if you got paid during training, but i don't think that will happen
You might be surprised :wink:

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

crazy horse wrote:
poseidon wrote:It would be nice if you got paid during training, but i don't think that will happen
You might be surprised :wink:
Are you suggesting you know what the changes are???? :shock: Does anyone actually know what the changes are or just that there will be changes?? :?:

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

The current course in YQM came out on the floor part way through their specialty training. They started to be paid effective that date. They are now employees so when they go back in the school to finish the course they are paid and put on a 4/3 cycle.

poseidon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by poseidon »

Well i am looking forward to my second interview even more now.... hopefully i get a call sometime soon

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ProfessionalATC »

kevenv wrote:The current course in YQM came out on the floor part way through their specialty training. They started to be paid effective that date. They are now employees so when they go back in the school to finish the course they are paid and put on a 4/3 cycle.

That's really positive news. The training wont be as burdensome for some people anymore.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

In our unit we have modified the training program so trainees get paid a few months earlier than they were before.

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

In YEG we are doing something they are calling OJSC, or on the job skills consolidation. With this program you will 'go operational' during your specialty training and go work live traffic in positions you have learned in your sim up to that point, and you begin earning a training salary at this point. We have heard however that there is a big push to have students begin receiving salary at the start of generic training.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Little confused, seems different areas have their own little version. Are they rolling out salary for all trainees before OTJ? Do they intend to pay right from the start of generic or only when you get to specialty?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

rspencer38 wrote:Little confused, seems different areas have their own little version. Are they rolling out salary for all trainees before OTJ? Do they intend to pay right from the start of generic or only when you get to specialty?
Haha yes it is confusing. Simply put training is managed at a national and a local level as well. Each sub-unit has it's own speciality training program that trainees follow once they are finished with the generic course (which, theoretically, is the same all over the country). What we used to do is let trainees start OJT only at the end of all the theory and simulation of the speciality course which varies in length depending on what sub-unit you are assigned to. Given that you are only paid once you start OJT we decided to make trainees have a few days of OJT at the beginning of the speciality course for several reasons. This now allows trainees, where I work anyways, to be paid a few months earlier than they normally would be. It also allows for a smoother transition into the operational world and a bit of extra motivation since all trainees have had a chance to actually talk to real aircraft.

For now, you will not be paid before OJT but it starts sooner than it used too. Keep in mind I do not know if this is done elsewhere in the country. As for the expected changes to the training program regarding pay and such I can not comment as I do not know 100% all the details and I do not think anything is official yet. All I can say is that for the next few years Nav Canada is going to place a lot of priority into the training program on a national level.

Any other questions just ask away!

TheSteamingPile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSteamingPile »

I heard some talk about this today. The new CEO has made a commitment to treating trainees better. Step may or may not include: no longer charging a fee for the training course, earlier paid training (no idea of when that payment period would start but many ACCs are implementing the system Braun spoke of), and more timely course offers/updates to the Take Charge dashboard.

It seems the new CEO was a bit upset that the top 40ish scoring candidates told NavCanada they were no longer interested after waiting 20 months to hear about a course etc.

Anyway, that's 2nd or 3rd hand info but it seems like training in the future will be much less of a burden than it has been. Good news for future applicants.

snapdawg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by snapdawg »

Any more info on the incoming changes? I can confirm that VFR and IFR are having their tuition waived for courses starting in the next few months. Anyone have any more info on the possibility of getting paid during generic or specialized training?

Ko3icty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ko3icty »

It would be awesome if they are starting to pay for the training even minimum just to sustain our living, cause many people cannot afford off work for a whole year or more.

navcanhopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by navcanhopeful »

Any update on the paying of trainees?

snapdawg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by snapdawg »

I've heard from a few sources that trainees will be getting paid at an earlier point during training. However they do not have the details ironed out regarding exactly when or how much, so they are keeping quiet for now.

Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top_Gun »

navcanhopeful wrote:Any update on the paying of trainees?
From the Take Charge website

COMPENSATION
When can I expect to start getting paid?

You’ll start to receive a student allowance of $30,000 per year as soon as you begin your training. After you successfully complete the first phase of training, you will begin on-the-job training. At that point, you will become an employee of NAV CANADA and you will earn a student training salary of approximately $35,000 to $40,700 per year. Your salary increases significantly once you’re fully qualified.

Sure sounds like they've changed their tune towards training. Sure wish they they had done this a year ago. I might have been able to swing it.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”