C series

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: C series

Post by scopiton »

hithere wrote:That flying is so dear to ACPA that they gave up the fight for DB pension for new hires in order to keep that flying
if you allow me : so many things are so dear to ACPA that they gave up the fight for a lot of things, including this PML thing about which the silence was deafening.

nice to see AC and Bombardier doing business together.
---------- ADS -----------

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Why would ACPA fight the PML? The company can hire who it wants

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

scopiton wrote:
hithere wrote:That flying is so dear to ACPA that they gave up the fight for DB pension for new hires in order to keep that flying
if you allow me : so many things are so dear to ACPA that they gave up the fight for a lot of things, including this PML thing about which the silence was deafening.

nice to see AC and Bombardier doing business together.
In all fairness there is nothing for ACPA to fight on the PML front nor is there anything to negatively impacting ACPA either. It is was ACPA wanted all along, bottom of the list with NO carry over of any kind. Those moving from Jazz anyway lose everything other than the wage top up that is provided by Jazz in order to lesson the pain of the first year pay scales.

As for the CSeries good on AC, the aircraft will be a game changer even more economical than the MAX especially when it is being paid for in Canadian dollars!

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

teacher wrote:As for the CSeries good on AC, the aircraft will be a game changer even more economical than the MAX especially when it is being paid for in Canadian dollars!
Citing an anonymous source the Globe and Mail said Air Canada got a 60% discount paying just $30 million USD per airplane. I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the meetings between Bombardier, Air Canada and the Quebec and Federal governments.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Again as mentioned several times I have no knowledge of airline ops, but going out on a limb here I would have to think fleet acquisition requires internal study by said airline to see what fits their future plans and how to fit the new aircraft into their current structure. I don't remember reading/hearing about C series fitting into AC plans until last week(correct me if I am in error) when announcement was made. Reading the political chattering classes, plenty fell into place(law suit dropped, bail out money, maintain agreement on new aircraft etc) which led AC getting a very sweet deal on what many would consider a first rate aircraft - Canadian made at that. I would also think a feather in Bombardier's cap as they can say their product has been purchased by the country' biggest airline.

Positive all the way around.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

60% discount and charges concerning AVEOS were dropped.
smart move from AC and you can be pretty sure that Bombardier and the Qc gov representatives were begging for a deal at any price.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

From CIBC World Markets' latest report on Air Canada:
2. C Series Decision - Significant Savings: The decision to acquire the C Series had many direct and indirect positive implications. Firstly, it reflects the fact that the ERJs in the fleet today will hit a maintenance wall in 2021 and the economics of investing in this existing fleet did not make sense. As such the company's LOI for 45 firm CS300s and an option for 30 more are to replace these aircraft. Given that the C Series is a more efficient plane, and we suspect a healthy discount from list price, the payback from this investment is very attractive. Secondly, with 25 E190s in the fleet at the end of 2016, a chunk of the CS300s coming in are replacing existing aircraft with growth opportunities coming from the aircraft providing more point-to-point options. As well, we believe the C Series could be used in rouge as a potential future replacement for the A319s. Thirdly, AC has ensured that the delivery of the C Series is post its refleeting of the 787s and towards the end of when the 737 MAX come in so that it does not stress the balance sheet. And lastly, in conjunction with the C Series order, the Quebec Government dropped its litigation related to AC in regard to maintenance activity being performed in the province (AC agreed to have its C Series airframe heavy maintenance work performed in Quebec) and the Federal Government is reviewing the Air Canada Public Participation Act as it relates to maintenance activities

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Rouge does not need C-series to replace the 319's. It needs the 737MAX which will have the lowest per seat operating cost in the narrow body class in a bulked up seating configuration.

Any idea what the pay rate will be on the C-series using the weight/speed formula? Clearly it will be far above the E190 but below the blended rate mainline NB Airbus rate.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

rudder wrote:Rouge does not need C-series to replace the 319's. It needs the 737MAX which will have the lowest per seat operating cost in the narrow body class in a bulked up seating configuration.

Any idea what the pay rate will be on the C-series using the weight/speed formula? Clearly it will be far above the E190 but below the blended rate mainline NB Airbus rate.
I've been wondering the same thing. And for that matter (at the risk of thread drift), anyone done the math on what the blended 737 MAX pay rates will be? Same as A320 pay, or a touch better?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Since there have been some interesting comments made here, I thought I'd set the record straight on a couple of them.

1. Bombardier doesn't sell aircraft in Cdn dollars. They only sell in U.S. Dollars, just like all the other OEMs. For obvious reasons.

2. The CS100 CASM is the lowest in the airline industry. Their isn't a Boeing anywhere near it.

3. Air Canada has been looking at the C series for a long time. So have a number of legacy airlines. British Airways among them. I doubt they would have bought the aeroplane if it didn't fit their fleet planning and its commercial viability looking to the future.

Gino :partyman:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Glad you intend to get the record straight Gino, but it should be " There isn't a Boeing anywhere near it"
:wink:

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Right you are. Oops.

Cheers,
Gino :drinkers:

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Taking the "their" out of the"there", your knowledge on the subject at hand is certainly well above mine. Syntax aside, I would be unarmed going up against you on many of the topics discussed.

:drinkers: :drinkers: :partyman:

Cseriesfan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cseriesfan »

New to the forum. Any news or additional details on the CS300 arrival at AC? Any recent news on how it could be used? Will it still fly for mainline or would they be considered for Rouge? What's the latest?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

There is no sign of life regarding C series at Air Canada.
Perhaps their focus is on the Max right now. Possibly even due to the fact they won't see the C till 2019 (or so).

GU :?:

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Gino is right. Lots to investment and preparation for the 737.

The only thing I heard, AC might actually order more c-series (if the price is right).
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-can ... -1.4370933

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

With Delta delaying C series entry until the Airbus plant in Alabama can deliver, it could give Air Canada (Rouge) the opportunity to see the CS300 earlier than planned. Bombardier has to renegotiate some deliveries now that Airbus is taking over the program.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Gino Under wrote:With Delta delaying C series entry until the Airbus plant in Alabama can deliver, it could give Air Canada (Rouge) the opportunity to see the CS300 earlier than planned. Bombardier has to renegotiate some deliveries now that Airbus is taking over the program.

While they may be available sooner I just can't see AC getting them sooner. It's a very aggressive program bringing the 737 into the fleet and I think we're "maxed" out.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The DAL orders are CS100’s. The AC order is CS300’s. While I am certain that there is a substitution provision in the purchase agreement, I am not sure that AC is interested in the smaller version.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The difference between the 100 and 300 is simply a fuselage plug. That’s it.
Bombardier doesn’t need to make any exception during production or special changes in production line order.
In fact, if Delta decided they wanted to convert an in-service 100 into a 300, there’s an STC that allows Bombardier to split the fuselage, drop in the fuselage plug and voila... the 100 is now a 300. Way les$$ than buying a brand new aircraft and waiting for it to be built.

The unidentified European carrier that ordered 31 should have a better than expected delivery schedule as a result of Deltas delay.

Delta might be the first North American airline to operate into LCY. Unless Air Canada has similar ideas and gets a few aircraft early. Including some 100s if they’ve noticed it’s versatility?
It’s up to the route planners in the end.

:partyman: Gino

Return to “Air Canada”