Thunder in the Bay

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

User avatar
quickflight
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:09 am
Location: near margaritaville

Thunder in the Bay

Post by quickflight »

Whats the deal with NAC, heard they were hiring then there was suddenly no hanger in yqt, then they hire 704 chief, goin' on up there.
---------- ADS -----------
 
hook low flare late
User avatar
gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:49 am
Location: Guelph, ON

Post by gelbisch »

HAMMER!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
sprucemonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:31 pm

Post by sprucemonkey »

I suspect the following happened again........



ImageImage


:D
---------- ADS -----------
 
Fred Skunk
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:40 am

Post by Fred Skunk »

Affirmative
---------- ADS -----------
 
split s
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: a few trailers over from Jaques Strappe!

Post by split s »

The deal is, buy a round trip ticket and get an admission ticket to the C.L.E. offer ends Dec 31/05. The C.L.E. ticket has has no cash value but may be traded for a hanger tour which should be taken before Sept 01/05. For tours after this date it is suggested you wear rubber boots and a rain suit and it is requested that you not untie the ropes holding up the tarps.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Post by Hot Fuel »

I've often wondered who these guys were, I see them come and go...threes and fours onboard and the biggest thing they fly is a PC12 I asked around and the word in MB is they are bleeding cash...got into bed with a guy that has convinced them that there is a big market in YNE to YWG...they are running two flights a day with a PC12...The average airfare is like $160.00 , do the math on that...even running full in both directions the best they can do is $2900.00 gross...I found a link to a press release dated yesterday, they are now 100% indian owned. No hanger, indian ownership, no expertise in operating an airline, particularly from the aircraft leasing /money management side, as its my understanding they don't own anything they operate. Its a recipe for flop...start the clock, I don't give them more than a year or two.

http://www.wawatay.on.ca/index.php?modu ... =1&pid=146

http://www.northernontariobusiness.com/ ... view=32837

The part that really kills me is the quotes from the Op's Manager when he talks about everybody going above and beyond...they use the pilots...ie selling tickets, loading aircraft, handling reservations...the whole nine yards yet I recall reading a ton of posts about what a great outfit this is and how great they treat the employee. That don't add up for me, most people on this forum jump all over companies for doing far less, what makes these guys different? How is it they smell like roses when somebody asks? If they are in fact hiring I'd be very carefull before I climbed on board.
---------- ADS -----------
 
sprucemonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:31 pm

Post by sprucemonkey »

What makes these guys different you ask (with sarcasm)?

THE Prez, DO, CP and the Captains you fly with are great guys - plain and simple. You work as an agent then upgrade to F/O inside a year - a year later you're down in Orlando for the left seat if you're worthy. Salary is great for TBay (I could buy Rollies house 2wice over on my salary now). Fly your ass off - log 1100 hrs or more / yr. Fly with experience dudes (bald to boot - sorry MM) A fuckin' lot of time off in between - fishing rocks, as does the Intowner on a Sunday Night - 100% benefits pkg (I work for SSV - pkg is 80/20) Excellent aircraft - even the ol' girl JKS - a king air by the way - with bigger on the way - as well as a new hangar. I could go on but my Appletons is calling - as are the fishes off fishermans warf.......g'nite cracker.

Your handle reminds me of what comes out my ass after 26ozs of Appletons. 8)
---------- ADS -----------
 
PC12flyer
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:01 am
Location: YYZ

Post by PC12flyer »

Hot Fuel, is NAC a different company? YES! Aviation as you are certainly aware is a tough business. Companies who compete in the 703 operations category are in the toughest bracket. NAC management demands that its employees wear many hats, in essence do more than one job. But where your facts become misguided is that it has been a long time since our pilots have sat in reservations, or sold tickets to passengers in the communities we service. Those quotes were expamles of how our company is team oriented. A company where every one of its employees contributes to the health and well being of the company. Because 703 is such a tough competitive environment, and when you're going up against a pretty strong competitor in Wasaya, you must ask that all employees put forth that extra effort. Our employees are the greatest bunch of people you could ever ask to work with. The pilots are top notch. The chief pilot of 703 JG and now 704 BSG, are probably two of the best C.P.'s in the industry. No where have I heard of two guys who will bend over backwards for their pilots and the low time ground guys. Its truely an honour to work for such great individuals.

Obviously you would hear negative things about NAC coming from MB. I don't think any company would like to give up a monopoly, and have nice things to say about the new guy in the sandbox. The new competitor we have in MB I'm sure is spreading the rumours that NAC is in trouble trying to win back the people they've lost to us.

Anyways I've ranted enough!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pie Lot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: CYYZ

Post by Pie Lot »

Hot Fuel:

I've gone back and read some of your previous posts, and you have a habit of spewing sh!t when you have no clue what you're talking about. Eg. Per Diems are a taxable benefit. trust me, they are not. You have the option of claiming the per diems as income and deducting the actual amount of your meals (50%) if the amount is in excess of the perdiems you received. The other option is per diems are a reimbursement of expenses of after tax dollars and are therefore not taxable.

Another formula that I have noticed is that :

Hot Fuel + AvCanada Posts = Fu##ing MUTT.

Again you have posted, without having a clue what you are talking about.

The fact is that everyone here for the most part, does go above and beyond. But no one is used. If a pilot helps on the ground, counter, ramp etc, it is because everyone here is a team for the most part, and is probably friends with the guy/gal they are helping. Captains, FO's, rampies, management all hang out together and get along. Just because you wear 4 bars, doesn't mean you're too good to help load a plane, or answer a PAX question at the counter, when the ground guy is swamped. Four Bars doesn't equal elite here, it just means senior team member.

As PC12 flyer stated, pilots haven't been required to perform any sales, ramp jobs for a couple of years. If you see us doing it, it is because we're helping out the next guy, and in turn it probably helps us get home earlier at the end of the day.

"Its a recipe for flop...start the clock, I don't give them more than a year or two."

NAC started in September 2000 and has added at least one plane a year since then with no plans to stop the expansion...(notice the new plane in YWG cutting in on the YNE market this month)...which I'm surewas the trigger for the MB originating post. Sure sounds like NAC is bleeding cash, and just barely hanging on, doesn't it.

Again... Hot Fuel = MUTT

As far as the CP's etc...NAC does not have a rampie that has gone even 1 day over 1 year before being upgraded full time to an airplane. All rampies have gone part time on the PC12 around the 6 - 8 month mark. I don't think many companies can say that. Where else can a early 20's guy/girl do a max of one year on the ramp, and 18 months later they are logging Turbine PIC time, earning 50+K per year, and working 12 days a month, logging 1100 hours per year. I don't think your employer in MB (if you work where I think you do) can say that.

"and the biggest thing they fly is a PC12"

Well I'm pretty sure that Yesterday I found myself flying a BE10...must have been a dream. Because according to Hot Fuel...who always checks his facts before he posts, the only thing we fly is a PC12.

Hot Fuel = MUTT

"If they are in fact hiring I'd be very carefull before I climbed on board."

We are hiring..but don't worry...last time I checked we don't knowingly hire MUTTS...therefore you should be safe where you are. Stay in MB...please.

And in case you're wondering...I'm not management...not even close. Just a guy that likes his job and co workers. I don't have a lot of time or use for idiots (Mutts) that post crap without bothering to check the facts. Get them straight, then feel free to reply.

Pie Lot
---------- ADS -----------
 
split s
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: a few trailers over from Jaques Strappe!

Post by split s »

Hey Pie Lot, stop drop and roll your on fire! And also right! I guess that hot fuel has a problem with people that are not lazy and load their own A/C! Probably pissed that his company might get wind of this pilot loading planes thing and he may have to get his lazy a$$ up and do the same. Take care if you do, you might break a nail or some other disaster.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pie Lot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: CYYZ

Post by Pie Lot »

Edited by Pie Lot:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Pie Lot on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 am

Post by . . »

Both Jeff and Brian are super guys. You could do a lot worse in Northern Ontario as far as management goes. I love how there was a comment made about Tom using guys for labour. It made it seem as if he was above that kinda thing. I can remember him coming over to a Hakwer 748 I was on and helping three poor bastards pull some massive dozer blade out of the back end when he didn't even work for the same company. I think it's fair to say that although NAC isn't utopia, it's about as close as you're gonna get out of YXL.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bush pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Boringtown

Post by bush pilot »

Hey Sweet, that was a second rate troll. Youre losing it!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Did It do that Yesterday?
User avatar
quickflight
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:09 am
Location: near margaritaville

Post by quickflight »

If we can get back on track, is there plans for a new hanger how soon does NAC lose the current one?
---------- ADS -----------
 
hook low flare late
bigdill
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Ontario

NAC ...Smak

Post by bigdill »

Do any of you guys and girls have clue! I mean look around people. Nac no longer has a hanger to work from and they can only continue flying around with ones and twos for so long, before the bankers come knocking

They may have been in expansion mode, but that has been the demise of many before and will be again.

Watch and learn!
---------- ADS -----------
 
so many pilots... so little time
El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:01 pm
Location: Sudbury

Post by El Comat »

bigdill,

Do you have a clue? Probably not. Do not fear, NAC has a plan with regards to the hangar situation.....watch and learn.

EC

PS - loads have been huge this past week, and have been steady throughout the summer

PPS - Did I mention that you should watch and learn?
---------- ADS -----------
 
bigdill
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Ontario

NAC Smak

Post by bigdill »

El Comat

obviously you do not understand the economics of running a business. You can"t servive on a week or two of decent loads! I am sure NAC has a plan for the hanger and probably one day... it may even happen! If they servive long enough.

Hard to beleive when the staff there are worried about where the next pay cheque is coming from, or if it coming!
---------- ADS -----------
 
so many pilots... so little time
Juggs
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:08 pm

Post by Juggs »

Isn't that what WestEx was saying for quite a while before they unfortunately came to their end?

Bye bye.


--Juggs
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Juggs on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUGGS-A waypoint in Idaho too!
El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:01 pm
Location: Sudbury

Post by El Comat »

bigdill,

I believe I do understand how a business works: if revenue is equal to or greater than expenses, you stay alive.

Loads have been steady all summer. Sure there have been a couple dry days here and there, but that's how it goes. NAC is very light on the top end (hence employees wearing many hats) so it doesn't need huge loads to break even. And right now no one is worried where the next pay check is coming from.

EC
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4882
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:52 am

Post by Bede »

I would kill to have the schedule that the NAC guys have. Hope they get those 1900's. It would be good for them.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bigdill
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Ontario

Post by bigdill »

EC,

maybe the loads have been steady all summer (although I highly doubt that), and I do have to agree that NAC is light at the top, but they still have very expensive equipment to pay for and that equates to lots of flying hours and at least 60 percent of the seats filled each way to make it.

Time will tell... but then again just look at who they have at the top, history always repeats itself (watch and Learn)
---------- ADS -----------
 
so many pilots... so little time
bumffs
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:41 pm

Post by bumffs »

Ceilings half way down the trees and those guys still get in while everone else goes missed,you know what happens next and you know who will get the blame .Not the owners ,Not Transport,the dumb-bastard breaking every rule in the book.
---------- ADS -----------
 
ninjacrumb
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 2:08 pm

Post by ninjacrumb »

Oh bumffs chill out ya sour bastard. Besides JG is kind of dreamy.
---------- ADS -----------
 
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:53 am

Post by . . »

bufffs: If you've actually flown in the area that NAC flyes, you'll note that it's the old super tanker that never misses. You may know her has 801.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tcas
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:35 pm

Post by tcas »

From what I hear NAC will be working out of a hanger in YXL while they await there new hanger. Is there any truth to this? Also heard it was 1900C models they were planning on. Has anyone heard this?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”