No Clear Winner in FCA Mandatory Retirement Decision

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: No Clear Winner in FCA Mandatory Retirement Decision

Post by Raymond Hall »

mbav8r wrote:Do you know when it was Jazz changed retirement to 65, is that when the ratio shifted?
To answer your question, I have refreshed my memory by re-reading portions of the 2007-2008 Adamson Tribunal transcript.

I had subpoenaed the head of Transport Canada to the Adamson hearing. He testified that Transport Canada removed the airline pilot licence any age restriction in 1985 with the coming into force of the equality provisions of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms that prohibited discrimination on the basis of age. The ICAO restrictions still applied to international airspace, however, including USA airspace. So Jazz pilots over age 60 could fly domestically, but not through USA airspace.

The transcript of testimony of the Jazz manager at the Tribunal hearing in 2007 shows that Jazz changed its restriction long before 2006, and they allowed their over-age 60 pilots to fly domestically only. Difficult to schedule, but they accommodated it.

It is not certain when the numbers actually tipped the scale. In my view, probably around 2000. But by 2006, Air Canada was the only airline in Canada still terminating the employment of pilots at age 60.

One anecdote is interesting. It was because GV, when dead-heading, sat next to a Jazz pilot over age 60, in 2003 (or perhaps earlier) that he became aware of the fact that other airlines allowed pilots over age 60 to continue working. That was the genus of his complaint with the CHRC. Because of Air Canada's then CCAA proceedings, the complaint did not get accepted until some time later.
---------- ADS -----------

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Fanblade wrote:Your convieniently wrapping yourself in the human rights act over an issue on money? ... I said you were part of the impasse because you didn't or wouldn't deal with the monetary issues. This forum is filled with the FP60 group, including you, refusing to acknowledge, minimize or deny those monetary issue even exist. You would have done that for one singular reason. Trying to position yourself for the money grab.
I asked you earlier to not insult me by accusing me of greed. First you acknowledged that my actions have been without benefit to myself and apologized to me for implying otherwise, but now, only a few posts later, you proceed to insult me by expressly accusing me of engaging in a money grab.

I don't know how many times each of us have told you that there was no monetary solution, that there were logistical and other constraints to choosing any path other than the one taken, and that if you believe there was something we could have done to resolve the monetary issue, you should let us in on the secret so that we can all put an end to this saga. You continue to answer with platitudes and insults without addressing the questions posed to you.

We have your point. Now, please, allow this discussion to continue to focus on the remaining issues before us.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Fanblade wrote:
Rockie wrote:For the 12th time Fanblade, what is you think they should have done besides forfeit their rights?
I'm not suggesting they forfeit their rights. I'm saying they shouldn't have tried to parlay their rights issue into a money grab. That was a choice they made. A choice that helped steer what happened next.
What is this "money grab" you keep referring to? Air Canada was discriminating against its pilots and the union shamefully refused to help make them stop, in fact the union undertook a legal fight to maintain age discrimination against their own members. Unbelievable. As a result the only avenue ACPA left open to the pilots discriminated against was to file a complaint with the CHRT, and they have no control over what remedy - if any - the CHRT assigns. They are not suing for money.

To my knowledge the first human rights challenge to age 60 at Air Canada occurred as early as 1981 by Ross Stevenson (could have been one earlier that I'm not aware of). From at least that day forward mandatory retirement's days were numbered as in succession every jurisdiction in the country did away with the normal age of retirement provision culminating with the Federal Government in 2012. By my rudimentary math skills that's 31 years the union had to prepare our compensation scheme to accommodate for that inevitable day. 31 years.

These are the facts. Learn them before you level baseless insults and accusations at people who went to bat for your rights.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Ok, I'll bite
What about agreeing to have ones seniority number revert to the bottom of the list at 60+1 day. The applicants get to continue their beloved career, while not impeding those immediately behind them on the list?
Human rights would be respected and career progression upheld for those behind.
Acceptable or not?
Cheers.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

tailgunner wrote:Ok, I'll bite
What about agreeing to have ones seniority number revert to the bottom of the list at 60+1 day. The applicants get to continue their beloved career, while not impeding those immediately behind them on the list?
Acceptable or not?
You call it po-ta-toe, I call it po-tah-to, you call it to-ma-toe, I call it to-mah-to. Or, as Gertrude Stein so eloquently stated, "A rose is a rose is a rose."

Contrary to the above assertion, human rights would not be respected. Age discrimination is age discrimination, period.

There seems to be a fundamental perception error among many here. The issue not just the pilot income system. The issue is the applicability of the federal law prohibiting discrimination. It is not about coming to some sort of negotiated settlement to make the issue go away. The issue is about bringing the collective agreement into line with the law. Thinking about it in any narrower terms leads only to litigation and wasted expense.

All of the other Air Canada unions understood the issue clearly, and ended mandatory retirement at age 65 for their members immediately after we won the Federal Court Charter decision. No litigation, not judicial review.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

tailgunner wrote:Ok, I'll bite
Acceptable or not?
Cheers.
There's nothing stopping anybody from bidding the lowest new hire position if they want. But if you impose that on someone against their will because they turned 60 then that's - you know - age discrimination. You might have heard that's illegal.....

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Raymond,
As MEC chair, how many motions did you make to end age 60 retirement? I assume that you were aware of the legal decisions that you have provided when you were ACPA's chair, so I am seeking clarification on your efforts to end age 60 retirements.
Cheers.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

tailgunner wrote:As MEC chair, how many motions did you make to end age 60 retirement?
Still don't get it, do you? It's not about any individual. It's about the issue.

First of all, I was not legal counsel to the Association, I was MEC Chair. So I provided no legal opinions whatsoever, on any issue. Second, the issue did not arise when I held any elected capacity with the Association.

Having said that, had the Association taken my suggestion (not legal advice) in 2006 when it chose to (allegedly) ignore the law, and instead of capitalizing on the windfall available, support the employer's litigation against its own members, the Association could have profited nicely.

One final thing. I personally have nothing to gain by participating on this Forum. In fact, the time I spend here seriously detracts from my other commitments. I participate here to provide a factual background to an issue involving Air Canada pilots, an issue that is as yet unresolved--a factual background that could be valuable to others, given my deep personal knowledge of the facts and the law.

Attacking me personally benefits no-one, and, in my view, seriously undermines the usefulness of this Forum as a neutral public communication medium. So, please, piss off with your personal attacks.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

From your response we can gather that you brought no motions to end the age 60 retirement, while you were in an official office in ACPA. You sought NO legal advice on the age 60 issue while in a position of influence in ACPA. You did not make any motions to end the age 60 retirement provisions. Could it be that you were personally benefitting from having those ahead of you on the seniority list retire while you were still younger than 60? Could it be that you only started to think about the supposed unfairness of the age 60 retirement program after significant pilots ahead of you retired, and you were able to slide into their vacant seat on the 777?
You had the opportunity to officially direct ACPA on the age 60 file because YOU were the MEC chair! At the very least, you could have officially raised the issue, so as to have it on record. I estimate that in the years where you had your hand on the tiller of ACPA, a few hundred of your members retired, and you rose up the list. Your silence is deafening or was deafening.
How contrite of you to now claim to be a staunch defender of human rights vis a vis retirement, when you yourself did nothing while in control.
Good day.

Mechanic787
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mechanic787 »

tailgunner wrote:How contrite of you to now claim to be a staunch defender of human rights vis a vis retirement, when you yourself did nothing while in control.
Cheap shot, sir. And not at all consistent with the facts, as spelled out repeatedly on this forum over the past several years.

He offered insight into the impending change in law and its consequences years in advance of it occurring, and suggestions about how you could actually benefit from the change that was coming whether or not he was involved, which is far more than what his detractors did. And history proved his insight to be entirely accurate.

While a large number of contributors to this forum appeared to be focused solely on discrediting him, the government simply proceeded on its own course and did what he predicted it would do, leaving the union members with no tangible benefit from the change, even though there was a pile of cash there for the taking, as indicated by Air Canada's subsequent financial statements specifically identifying the resulting gain.

The words words of Don McLean come to mind:

Now, I understand, what you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free
They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now.

Or maybe after the court has the final say.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Simply amazing. After getting squashed by the truck pilots still want to blame the people who told them it was coming and they should step out of the way. Professional victims.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

Gents,

As has been clearly stated, Age discrimination is no longer allowed!

As history has shown, as time goes on, different types of discrimination have been challenged from slavery to gender to, now... ageism. When new laws create change to address this discrimination; usually there is the expectation of immediate compliance to uphold the changes.

No one here is going to persuade those of the other side of the argument to change their opinion. The last dozen years bear that out! The issue is before the legal system to determine if this group of pilots were discriminated against and are due compensation. At glacial speed the legal system is working towards deciding that issue.

Lets all agree to disagree. Now a pilot can stay in command to age 65 for now. Is 65 discrimination to be forced out of the Captains chair? I don't know. I have recently hit the big 60 and am personally delaying my fellow pilots promotions. Will I still be here at 65; no! It is my choice.

By the way Ray, I can not recall a single pairing in the last 5-7 years where my fellow aviators have not asked when I will exit the door! It is impossible to think of someone doing that in days of old. The newer generation being promoted to a 320 captain in about 1/3 the time that you and I took, makes not the slightest difference in their desire for anyone senior to be gone. There is not a shred of the old Airline or unity to be seen anymore. Everyone for themselves is the new order!

Soon the Courts will bring this case to some form of conclusion and either way there will be many upset. It is the nature of human life! True justice is not found down here as it is open to human (legal) interpretation.

I hope that day of decision comes sooner, than later !!!!!

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Not meant to be a cheap shot.
Raymond told me to "piss off", so I guess I touched a nerve. He has proven that there was case law dating decades back regarding retirement age issues. Raymond was a (and is) a lawyer, so I would assume that he would have been aware of said case law. Raymond also had the means, ability and forum to enact change as ACPA's MEC chair. It seems that nothing was pushed for, nor changed under his leadership of ACPA. He was also benefiting from having retirements at 60......
Raymond is uniquely qualified to answer why, under his leadership, ACPA never entered into an agreement with AC with regard to retirement age changes. He was driving the ACPA truck.
I am just curious.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

tailgunner wrote:Raymond also had the means, ability and forum to enact change as ACPA's MEC chair. It seems that nothing was pushed for, nor changed under his leadership of ACPA. He was also benefiting from having retirements at 60...... Raymond is uniquely qualified to answer why, under his leadership, ACPA never entered into an agreement with AC with regard to retirement age changes. He was driving the ACPA truck.
If you have read my earlier posts, you will recall that it is uncertain at what date age 60 was no longer the “normal age of retirement.” Sometime before 2006, in my view, and sometime after 1990. Remember, the Tribunal in 2007 based it on a statistical count, 50% plus 1. But that calculation or process was never applied to pilots before then. In the 1980’s when Ross Stevenson filed his challenge, virtually 100% of the pilots in the major airlines in Canada were forced to retire at age 60.

So this idea of what is “the normal age” never came up for discussion prior to George Vilven’s complaint, at least not at ACPA, for at least two reasons. Nobody, and I mean nobody raised the issue. The restriction wasn’t in the collective agreement, it was in the “plan text” of the pension plan. And none of the pilots, save for those on the Pension Committee, ever were provided a copy of the plan text. I know I wasn’t, even as MEC Chair.

The second reason that it never arose before the MEC was that the two years in which I was an elected representative were extremely tense and tumultuous. We were in critical negotiations and we received a 98% Strike Vote with 96% of the members voting. At three different times over the course of the summer of 2000, I had the required 72-hour Notice of Strike to the Minister of Labour sitting in the fax machine, waiting to hit the SEND button. It was that close.

Even after we concluded the collective agreement, Air Canada attempted to contract out a good portion of our flying to SkyService. That led to another two months of extremely tense confrontation, and I mean extremely tense! There were dozens of other issues before us at the time, especially the merger of Air Canada and Canadian pilot lists, through arbitration, the Mitchnick Award, the CIRB decision to overturn that award, and the subsequent final award by a different arbitrator. Conflict, conflict, conflict.

If you get the impression that there was conflict with external factors, let me suggest that the external conflict was nothing compared to the inner conflict evidenced in the division of the 14 MEC members, each with his own vested interest, a couple of whom opposed virtually every action that I took and every statement that I made to the media, even though I received magnificent support from the majority of the membership for my dedication and performance.

So mandatory retirement never came on the radar, period.

One other misconception regarding your post. As I stated earlier, the MEC Chair has ZERO authority to do anything other than call meetings. I believe that that is still the case. Even if I had thought about this issue, then, I had no authority to do anything about it. Period.

So what happened, years after I left the elected office? Well, to start with, one by one every Provincial jurisdiction in Canada repealed their mandatory retirement provisions. There was a monstrous public shift in attitude towards age discrimination in employment.

At the same time, every airline in Canada, save for Air Canada, had removed mandatory retirement restrictions from their pilot agreements. At least from 2002 onward, this meant two things. First, social policy with respect to age discrimination in employment no longer countenanced the practice. Second, the statistical balance that underpinned the formula for the “normal age of retirement” had obviously moved, bringing into question the legal validity of the AC-ACPA provision. That did not really come to the fore until 2005 to 2006, when Vilven’s complaint went to the Tribunal. For the first time since the 1980’s, Air Canada's pilot union was formally presented with this issue, anew.

So you can sit there now, look in hindsight through your periscope of history at one small speck of what was then a non-issue and lash out with all the vigour you want about woulda, coulda, shoulda, disregarding all of the image outside of your narrow historical lens, and impute all sorts of malfeasance. But before you do so, you should at least get some perspective.

Again, if you read my posts above, you will recall that I had nothing to do with the filing of the Vilven complaint (or the Neil Kelly complaint, for that matter). I arrived on the scene after the complaints had spent three years before the CHRC and were actually in litigation before the CHRT.

And, as I pointed out above, those two complaints, in 2005, formalized the issue of law that is still before the Tribunal and the courts, before I became involved. The legal dispute landscape was defined before I had anything to do with the issue. So my involvement was irrelevant to the description of the present issue. What I did was structure a support system to sustain the David vs. Goliath case on behalf of those who disagreed with their own union's support of the employer's position.

Look at it from this perspective. Both Air Canada and ACPA have spent millions of dollars, and I mean millions of dollars, on legal counsel fees to oppose the interests of these complainants. What single individual could possibly meet that challenge, financially? The union was spending these complainant's union dues to fight their own members' legal interests. That's where I drew the line and became involved, offering my expertise to offset the non-level playing field.

Why did I get involved? First, George Vilven asked me to assist him immediately after ACPA had changed its tune about representing him.

Second, I had spent two years appointed by the Manitoba government to the Manitoba Human Rights Commission in the early 1990’s (the Commission is akin to a “Board of Directors.” We decided which complaints were sent to adjudication). As such, I was intimately familiar with the legislation, with the case law, and with the political implications of the social changes in progress.

I could see that, as I stated above, it was not “if” but “when,” particularly given the wording of the federal legislation, “normal age of retirement for individuals engaged in similar work,” and the case law in other industries that anointed the statistical assessment of the legality of the provision.

I could also see that there was a pot of gold waiting to be claimed. Each senior pilot retired generated at least 10 additional courses, at a cost of at least $40,000 per course, times 60 retirements per year. If only a few delayed their retirement, the foregone expense would have been in the millions of dollars per year. That had to be worth addressing by the union as one option to off-setting any negative impact on career progression, especially given the inevitability of the statutory amendment.

The rest, as they say, is history.

duranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by duranium »

''Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.[1] This includes treatment of an individual or group based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated".[2] It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction going on to influence the individual's actual behavior towards the group leader or the group, restricting members of one group from opportunities or privileges that are available to another group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decision making.[3]

Discriminatory traditions, policies, ideas, practices, and laws exist in many countries and institutions in every part of the world, even in ones where discrimination is generally looked down upon. In some places, controversial attempts such as quotas have been used to benefit those believed to be current or past victims of discrimination—but have sometimes been called reverse discrimination. In the USA, a government policy known as affirmative action was instituted to encourage employers and universities to seek out and accept groups such as African-Americans and women, who have been subject to discrimination for a long time.[4]"

For those very few that will not or cannot understand what most of the posters write on the subject, here is the Wikipédia definition of discrimination. Do us, all the readers on this subject, a huge favour by using the aforementionned as a filter and/or frame to vet your writings.

duranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by duranium »

tailgunner wrote:From your response we can gather that you brought no motions to end the age 60 retirement, while you were in an official office in ACPA. You sought NO legal advice on the age 60 issue while in a position of influence in ACPA. You did not make any motions to end the age 60 retirement provisions. Could it be that you were personally benefitting from having those ahead of you on the seniority list retire while you were still younger than 60? Could it be that you only started to think about the supposed unfairness of the age 60 retirement program after significant pilots ahead of you retired, and you were able to slide into their vacant seat on the 777?
You had the opportunity to officially direct ACPA on the age 60 file because YOU were the MEC chair! At the very least, you could have officially raised the issue, so as to have it on record. I estimate that in the years where you had your hand on the tiller of ACPA, a few hundred of your members retired, and you rose up the list. Your silence is deafening or was deafening.
How contrite of you to now claim to be a staunch defender of human rights vis a vis retirement, when you yourself did nothing while in control.
Good day.
This post, without a doubt, places you squarely in the camp of the problems vs the camp of solutions, joining Fanblade and a few others

1970's aviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 1970's aviator »

Fanblade wrote:Longhaul,

You nailed it. ACPA wasn't behaving in regressive manor. They were responding in a strategic manor.

Delay the inevitable for as long as possible.

Thing is, if the law hadn't changed people would still be retiring at 60. Looks like the delay tactic worked.

How much will this cost? So far nothing but legal fees in which I get to help with. Even if it does cost money? I will be left to pay.

Great system.

On the other hand if age 60 had been adopted outright. I would not have been hired when I was. I would have a DC pension. Truth be told I benefited by ACPA's decision to play the delay game even though I wasn't even hired when that decision was made.
acpa refusing to file a grievance in my name, is that not discriminatory ?

Sending hundreds of pilots out to pasture against their will, is that not a money grab as you so much like to insist upon ?

Excluding recent retirees ( 2007 ) from the dry lease money owed to them under the guise that all the other pilots would receive more free from income tax money, and that was some big bucks, that surely is not a money grab that you so loudly pontificate upon.

Negotiating away pension indexation for retirees in return for a pay raise, not a money grab ?

It is sure a great system when one can so easily take from one's coworker.

1970's aviator

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Raymond,
So let me get this straight. You sat on the Manitoba Human Rights Tribunal and you were intimately familiar with the case law, yet you did not see a need to raise the issue during your leadership tenure? The FP60 supporters have thrown a lot of accusations about negligence and ignorance towards ACPA, yet, you now admit that you had knowledge of the case law and did nothing about it. You easily could have had ACPA's legal team investigate the ramifications of your apparent knowledge.
As for your claim of having no ability to effect change as the MEC chair, that also seemingly does not hold a lot of water. The behind the scenes negotiating and influence are part of the MEC chairs role, whether stated or not. At the very least you could have raised it at a meeting and had it on the official record.
Can you at least admit that it wasn't on your radar because you were not in your final few years, and pilots through the seniority list were all benefiting from having a steady stream of retirements. As you gained the 777 CA position, and grew closer to 60 yourself, I can easily see why it you became acutely aware. You were now enjoying the top pay, and the top schedule and it is human nature to want to preserve that.
Cheers

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Your logic is flawed and pointless tail gunner. If Raymond was able to set ACPA on the correct path out of self interest he would have done it before he retired so he could remain at the top spot. He's doing so now for zero compensation for the reasons he was good enough to explain to you, and at the expense of other paid work he could be doing. He will never be able to return to the top spot on the list yet he continues to do the work.

Trying to drag him into the muck just isn't going to work, nor does it help in any way to move the pilot group forward.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

tailgunner wrote:Raymond,
So let me get this straight. You sat on the Manitoba Human Rights Tribunal and you were intimately familiar with the case law, yet you did not see a need to raise the issue during your leadership tenure?
There is no possible way to get you off this path of concluding that my involvement in this issue was motivated strictly by personal self-interest, is there?

When I was involved in negotiations we often summarized this attitude with the phrase, "Don't confuse me with the facts--my mind's made up!"

In the theory of logic, getting distracted from a real issue by a dominant overriding incidental issue leads to what is referred to as fallacious reasoning, which in turn almost invariably results in an adverse outcome. For example, an engine fire leading to a bus fault. If you view the issue strictly as an electrical problem, bad news.

In 2006, the legal issue of the validity of the mandatory retirement provision of the collective agreement became apparent for the first time when the Vilven complaint was referred from the Commission to the Tribunal. The Ross Stevenson case did not deal with the question of "normal age of retirement" (i.e. whether the conditional provision was satified). Rather, it was filed as a challenge to mandatory retirement in general under the federal Bill of Rights (pre-Charter).

Obviously, the legal issue before the Tribunal generated the incidental issue of impact on the compensation system. But the issue before the Tribunal had nothing to do with changing the compensation system. It had only to do with whether the statutory exemption was still valid. That was the only question that the Tribunal had jurisdiction to answer. Nothing else was relevant.

When I became involved, it became very clear to me that the statutory exemption to mandatory retirement was destined to be repealed, sooner or later. So regardless of what happened at the Tribunal, the second issue of how to deal with the end of mandatory retirement had to addressed. Any legislative change, be it in tax law, family law, or human rights law, affects different individuals differently. The key is to anticipate the change and to put one's organization in the best position to accommodate the change with a maximal upside and a minimal downside. That was where I was coming from.

Contrary to your assertion (quoted above), when I was MEC Chair, I was not intimately familiar with the human rights case law on age discrimination, as the issue simply did not arise, either then, or during my earlier tenure on the Manitoba Human Rights Commission (not Tribunal).

Suggesting that I should have raised the issue years before the issue was raised by someone else is akin to saying that airlines should have anticipated the 9/11 terrorists and should have provided more secure cockpit doors to prevent unauthorized entry. Easy to say after the issue becomes tragically evident. Absolutely not on anybody's radar in 2000. Ditto, mandatory retirement at Air Canada.

For one last time, the legal issue in dispute was before the Tribunal before I became involved. It was not my issue, and my participation after the fact did not change the nature of the issue that was in dispute then, or that is in dispute now. Nor did my participation affect the government's ultimate decision to repeal the exemption. So, ACPA was going to have to deal with it, sooner or later. My suggestion was that the union should be proactive and benefit from it, that it should not forego claiming its proper share of the ensuing windfall and not litigate against its own members against the inevitable. Instead, it did both.

Now, like I said to Fanblade above, we have your opinion, and it would appear that that opinion is not going to be enlightened by any facts to the contrary disclosed here. So, enough, already.

Return to “Air Canada”