Build your own VOT for $5 - no, no joke

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Build your own VOT for $5 - no, no joke

Post by photofly »

CID wrote:
Checking a VOR receiver by using a VOT is neither maintenance nor elementary work, so nothing you wrote has the slightest relevance.
So a maintainer can't sign off a VOR as tested serviceable by using a VOT station on the field?
I have no idea; I concede you're the expert on both VHF analogue circuit design and paperwork in this thread.

I always fantasized that the kind of traceable, professional, in-depth testing that deserved an AME's signature (with loops and flourishes, and hearts over the "i"s, if you please) involved a bit more than just turning the OBS to 180 degrees and seeing the needle centre with a "TO" flag. I thought simple tests like that were the province of ignorant pilots only and unworthy of being called a "test". Something about science fairs and conjuring tricks. But I'm sure you'll correct me either way.

Of course if you want to check your resolver on any other radials than 360, examine the 1020Hz notch filter response for checking the ident, confirm the audio listen facility and determine the tuning accuracy of the receiver on anything other than a sole frequency, an on site VOT won't do. You'll need something like the "POS" I put together and wrote about in this thread. And I'm just an ignorant pilot.

Finally, are there any VOTs in Canada? There are none around here as far as I know.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Of course there are.

Major airports for sure...114.80 Mhz is a common VOT in Canada.

You get a 0 degree From no matter where you are.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

NeverBlue wrote:Of course there are.

When was the last time you've even been at an airport?

http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefiniti ... 30c_en.pdf
It looks like the link is dead but here is the original text:
Decommissioning of VOT facilities

NAV CANADA, the country's provider of civil air navigation services, recently evaluated the requirement for VHF Omnidirectional Range (VOR) receiver test facilities (VOT) in Canada.

The review concluded that VOT sites are underutilized and no longer required. This fact is partly because of the increased use of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) for primary navigation and partly because many VOR receivers are equipped with an internal self-test function.

Aeronautical Information Circular (AIC 36/08) was published requesting customer feedback to determine a decommissioning schedule that is aligned with customer requirements.

Based on the feedback received all VOT facilities at the following sites are scheduled for decommissioning.
Abbotsford, BC Calgary Intl, AB Castlegar, BC Churchill, MB Cranbrook / Canadian Rockies Intl, BC Edmonton City Centre (Blatchford Field), AB Edmonton Intl, AB Fort Nelson, BC Gander Intl, NL Goose Bay, NL Halifax / Stanfield Intl, NS Iles-de-la Madeleine, QC Iqaluit, QC Kamloops, BC Kelowna, BC Kenora, ON Kuujjuaq, QC Oshawa, ON Penticton, BC Pickle Lake, ON Prince George, BC Prince Rupert, BC Québec / Jean Lesage, QC Regina Intl, SK Resolute Bay, NU St John’s Intl, NL Val-D’Or, QC Sault Ste Marie, ON Sept-Iles, QC Sioux Lookout, ON Smithers, BC Sydney, NS Terrace, BC Thunder Bay, ON Toronto / City Centre, ON London, ON Toronto / Lester B. Pearson Intl, ON Moncton / Greater Moncton Intl, AB Saskatoon / John G. Diefenbaker Intl, SK Mont-Joli, QC Vancouver Intl, BC Montréal Intl (Mirabel), QC Ottawa / Macdonald-Cartier Intl, ON Montréal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Intl, QC William Lake, BC North Bay, ON Victoria Intl, BC Windsor, ON Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson Intl, MB

These changes will take effect 27 August, 2009 at 09:01 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The appropriate aeronautical publications will be amended.
Please don't be dissuaded by the naysayers on here photofly - like I said earlier - I don't know what these guys think their $$$$$ IFR4000 test set is doing any different.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Well that could be totally true...I haven't done a test like that in probably 10 years.
I did do an internet search and found a number of them...but didn't note the date on the publication.

No need to be hasty...i'm sure that not everyone that's been to an airport knows all the facilities the airport has decommissioned ...is it a requirement or something?

Jeezzzzz.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

...and the IFR NAV 4000 does a lot different...like 359 different variable phases...on all VOR channels...at any RF power level...just to name a few.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

NeverBlue wrote:Of course there are.

Example after example of this google jockey trying to keep up...hilarious

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

NeverBlue wrote:...and the IFR NAV 4000 does a lot different...like 359 different variable phases...on all VOR channels...at any RF power level...just to name a few.
Ooh... Ooh... the "Pi-FR NAV 2-and-a-half" does that as well! In fact more - you can even do the hidden radials between the real ones, like the 23.25 degree radial, or the square root of two radial. Bet the expensive one doesn't do that!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

It does everything from 0 - 359.99...it has to.

You should tell the thousands of professionals that bought these units they didn't need it....and IFR that they've fleeced everyone.

Wow...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I don't really give a toss what other people buy.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Wasn't meant for you...was meant for Mr. Hasty.

Return to “Maintenance”