Porter to Start Service from Toronto to Orlando

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

---------- ADS -----------

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Porter to Start Service from Toronto to Orlando

Post by sanjet »

Best of luck, good to see new things happening at Porter.

At around 350 true airspeed, should be around 3 hours. Not bad even compared to a jet. Might even be same time considering the taxi time saved at YTZ and MLB.

50 pax & bags plus 10,000 lbs of FOB is probably at the limit for the Q on a dry rwy at CYTZ

Last edited by sanjet on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

MLB isn't Orlando-Melbourne, it's just Melbourne.
It's an hour and a half drive away...

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Very interesting. Almost 1000nm. Should be fun when the runway @ YTZ gets wet...

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

YTZ-MLB! Via BWI-CLT-ATL.

Just kidding. Interesting to see how far they can stretch the range on the Q400.

dignifly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dignifly »

Is this via cyhm?

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

I can almost see the new parking garage popping up on the island.

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

dignifly wrote:Is this via cyhm?
I think its direct. If they were to make a stop, why not do it somewhere halfway. I know little about the law, but as long as they aren't carrying passengers exclusively for the inter-US leg, is there a legal problem?

Again, I know diddly squat about the Q's or the law.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

dignifly wrote:Is this via cyhm?
With a block time of around 3h10min it most certainly will be direct on a normal day.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Last edited by PT6onH20 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Perhaps off topic, but flew to YTZ on Porter to catch a few Jays games. Gotta say their service was quite good, pleasant flight both ways, left on the dot. Some may not agree but the Q400 isn't a bad aircraft to fly on as a pax. All in all I consider Porter a good airline and will recommend them to acquaintances .............

durkad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by durkad »

As a former employee at Porter, I cannot see how this route will be feasible.
Using winter weights they will constantly be bumping passengers. It will be an operational nightmare and under the Canadian law if they bump the passenger they are required to get them to their destination on another carrier. Good luck getting from Toronto to MLB on another carrier.
To answer the tech stop question - No, it is a logistical nightmare to tech stop somewhere in the USA. There is no pre clearance at YTZ and therefore you are rolling the dice whether you will be customs exempt from the CBP or everyone will have to be screened on arrival. They will likely tech stop this sucker in YHM every other day. Also, the company has services setup in YHM and they are used to handling Porter - de ice/fuel/ground handling.
Porter has trouble doing their direct YTZ YHZ flights which block in around 2 hours. This route is 300nm further flying through congested US airspace.
I ran a test flight plan YTZ - MLB and using an MTOW of 58k (which is roughly what they will get if the runway is wet and Icing conditions - not using fluids which require a further weight penalty) the max payload they can get is 46 males with no luggage.
Good luck, but this seems like a nightmare scenario for anyone in SOCC or operating crew. :rolleyes:

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

DrSpaceman wrote:MLB isn't Orlando-Melbourne, it's just Melbourne.
It's an hour and a half drive away...
However Melbourne is only 25 miles from Cape Canaveral, where MCO is 45 miles of toll highway and busy traffic away, and the cruise ship port at Canaveral is a fast growing mega-cruiseship port. I would definitely consider Porter from YTZ if I was taking another Port Canaveral cruise. Unfortunately, they are only Saturday flights, but at least the times are suitable for cruisers, which was probably the idea behind it.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

durkad wrote:As a former employee at Porter, I cannot see how this route will be feasible.
Using winter weights they will constantly be bumping passengers. It will be an operational nightmare and under the Canadian law if they bump the passenger they are required to get them to their destination on another carrier. Good luck getting from Toronto to MLB on another carrier.
To answer the tech stop question - No, it is a logistical nightmare to tech stop somewhere in the USA. There is no pre clearance at YTZ and therefore you are rolling the dice whether you will be customs exempt from the CBP or everyone will have to be screened on arrival. They will likely tech stop this sucker in YHM every other day. Also, the company has services setup in YHM and they are used to handling Porter - de ice/fuel/ground handling.
Porter has trouble doing their direct YTZ YHZ flights which block in around 2 hours. This route is 300nm further flying through congested US airspace.
I ran a test flight plan YTZ - MLB and using an MTOW of 58k (which is roughly what they will get if the runway is wet and Icing conditions - not using fluids which require a further weight penalty) the max payload they can get is 46 males with no luggage.
Good luck, but this seems like a nightmare scenario for anyone in SOCC or operating crew. :rolleyes:
I believe the flights are blocked at ~50 pax.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

3 hours in a Q400, I'm not sure I'm feeling it.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

Note the cytz is to get usa customs pre clearance by end of the year. I think the announcement was timed to the visit usa of Justin Trudeau the ole boys network is up n running again :rolleyes:

durkad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by durkad »

bob99 wrote:
durkad wrote:As a former employee at Porter, I cannot see how this route will be feasible.
Yes, it is blocked at 50 pax but with the MTOW that they are going to get out of the island they can only take 46 pax with no baggage. I have no idea who thought of the 50 person cap but it is very generous.

Valhalla
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Valhalla »

durkad wrote:
bob99 wrote:
Yes, it is blocked at 50 pax but with the MTOW that they are going to get out of the island they can only take 46 pax with no baggage. I have no idea who thought of the 50 person cap but it is very generous.
Geez. I'm glad you're a "former" employee... :roll: The Melbourne flights are doing just fine with the caps plus bags. And if a tech stop is necessary, pre arranged customs agreements have been made to tech stop half way without needing to deplane and clear customs. After 10 years of operating, you might assume that Porter would think these scenarios through a little bit beforehand. But thank you for the tips, durkad.

FL410
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410 »

According to Flightaware, last week's flight had an air time of 4:16 with GS down to almost 200kts at times.. :shock:

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”