Want to work in Canada? Read this first, please!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Want to work in Canada? Read this first, please!

Post by jpilot77 »

There are virtually no cadet programs in Canada, you'll have to build up your experience learning to fly before you will have enough time to get in to an airline job (generally).
---------- ADS -----------

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Sword
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sword »

Dear all,
Now I'm quite sure that I need the legal right to work in Canada. :)
Maybe you are tired of answering same questions but I need to ask you some questions to have a clear idea;
- I'm an ex-military pilot and now flying for the biggest company in my country as a F/O on A-320. I have total 3000 hrs (1000 on A-320 and 1500 on multi-engine turpoprop). What about my chances of getting hired by a big company in Canada for Airbus or Boeing?
- How long do i need to wait for becoming a captain? (I know it changes from company to company but i mean legally and on the average)
- What is the average pay of a F/O and Captain? ( Not the hourly because I don't understand it. Just can you tell me what is left after the tax)
- It is possible to contact the company and get accepted for the job and then apply for the pr or work permit?
- How long do I need to stay to apply for the citizenship?
Thank you in advance.
Safe flights to all

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

Sword wrote:Dear all,
Now I'm quite sure that I need the legal right to work in Canada. :)
Maybe you are tired of answering same questions but I need to ask you some questions to have a clear idea;
- I'm an ex-military pilot and now flying for the biggest company in my country as a F/O on A-320. I have total 3000 hrs (1000 on A-320 and 1500 on multi-engine turpoprop). What about my chances of getting hired by a big company in Canada for Airbus or Boeing?
- How long do i need to wait for becoming a captain? (I know it changes from company to company but i mean legally and on the average)
- What is the average pay of a F/O and Captain? ( Not the hourly because I don't understand it. Just can you tell me what is left after the tax)
- It is possible to contact the company and get accepted for the job and then apply for the pr or work permit?
- How long do I need to stay to apply for the citizenship?
Thank you in advance.
Safe flights to all
You don't have the legal right to work in Canada, and no airline will hire you without that.

NZpilotBen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NZpilotBen »

Hi guys,

I am getting conflicting information about foreign pilots working in Canada, so, I will post my experience and see what you guys think my chances are, I am not after airline jobs or building time to go to larger carriers I'd like to be in the bush.

New Zealand citizen, NZCAA/AUS CASA CPL (A) with 1000hrs made up of agricultural time top dressing and stock mustering. Four years aircraft maintenance on light fixed wing/helicopters and loader driving for top dressing/spray aircraft.

I have a good case of hunting/fly fishing obsession and spend all my spare time in the mountains, hills and rivers. I am currently doing an instrument rating but yawn at the prospect of ending up in the right hand seat of an airliner, GA flying in solid older aeroplanes is all I would like to do.

What are my chances?

CanadianKiwi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CanadianKiwi »

NZpilotBen wrote:Hi guys,

I am getting conflicting information about foreign pilots working in Canada, so, I will post my experience and see what you guys think my chances are, I am not after airline jobs or building time to go to larger carriers I'd like to be in the bush.

New Zealand citizen, NZCAA/AUS CASA CPL (A) with 1000hrs made up of agricultural time top dressing and stock mustering. Four years aircraft maintenance on light fixed wing/helicopters and loader driving for top dressing/spray aircraft.

I have a good case of hunting/fly fishing obsession and spend all my spare time in the mountains, hills and rivers. I am currently doing an instrument rating but yawn at the prospect of ending up in the right hand seat of an airliner, GA flying in solid older aeroplanes is all I would like to do.

What are my chances?
You don't have a chance at getting a full sponsored working visa with those hours. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/ . Try getting a working holiday visa, then you'll have the right to work in Canada for a year at least. Maybe in that time you'll find a company who will sponsor you, or find a Canadian wife who can sponsor you for a Permanent Residence card.

Aluminium Tube
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aluminium Tube »

Hello everybody! I have a couple of questions and hope someone will be so kind to help me. :-) I guess everyone completely understands now that if you intend to get the job in Canada you must have legal right to work in Canada. Let's imagine that I have it (Canadian goverment offers different ways to get it. It's not easy, but possible anyway.). What are my chances to get the job? How do Canadian air companies usually meet foreign candidates? I mean sure, in their requirements lists they write that they accept the pilots with LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA and validated license. But, does it work in real life? I know that in most European companies it doesn't work. Although they claim that they accept foreigners, they'd better hire an unexperienced pilot from their country rather than you, even if you satisfy all the requirements and have a big experience. What's going on at Canadian labour market? May be somebody has any examples of related stories in the companies that you work for? My experience on jets: 500 hours of Boeing 737 as a copilot, currently flying a regional jet as a captain. Total 3600 hours. Whether you reply or not, thank you anyway, at least for reading all that stuff. :D Everybody have nice flights!

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Aluminium Tube wrote:Hello everybody! I have a couple of questions and hope someone will be so kind to help me. :-) I guess everyone completely understands now that if you intend to get the job in Canada you must have legal right to work in Canada. Let's imagine that I have it (Canadian goverment offers different ways to get it. It's not easy, but possible anyway.). What are my chances to get the job? How do Canadian air companies usually meet foreign candidates? I mean sure, in their requirements lists they write that they accept the pilots with LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA and validated license. But, does it work in real life? I know that in most European companies it doesn't work. Although they claim that they accept foreigners, they'd better hire an unexperienced pilot from their country rather than you, even if you satisfy all the requirements and have a big experience. What's going on at Canadian labour market? May be somebody has any examples of related stories in the companies that you work for? My experience on jets: 500 hours of Boeing 737 as a copilot, currently flying a regional jet as a captain. Total 3600 hours. Whether you reply or not, thank you anyway, at least for reading all that stuff. :D Everybody have nice flights!
If you have the right to work in Canada, have the proper licenses, medical and experience (plus a good attitude), I don't see why they wouldn't hire you. Canadians are very generous people and unlike Europe, do not discriminate. I have worked with colleagues from France, Eastern Europe, UK, India, Pakistan, etc.

This is what makes Canada a great country.

Also as a Canadian pilot that worked hard to be where I am, I don't like to see Europeans come here and "take our jobs". It sounds horrible, but we have enough Canadian pilots to cover every possible spot. Should the need change in the future, then by all means, come here and fly safe.

Das ist mir wurst...
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

If you have the right to work and live here, Canadian licencing, etc, you aren't a foreign pilot. There aren't special "foreign pilot" procedures or recruiting etc. here.

If you have the right to live and work, the proper licences and relevant experience; you apply, interview, get hired. Done deal.

You will be required to get a RAIC, which I understand can take a while if you have been out of Canada for a long period, and you will need unrestricted entry into the US.

Jobs are highly competitive here and unlike Europe, buying a type rating won't help you.

Thales Coelho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thales Coelho »

Hi all, first post here!

First of all, I understand that I need to HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK AND LIVE IN CANADA! Hahahaha! Thats obvious (or not) and I`m not planning a hole change in my life just to stay illegal somewhere.

So my plan is to study at a College (like Seneca @Toronto) a 2yrs aviation operations program, what would give me the right to work 20hr/week during the studies and afther the conclusion, 3 years of full time working, all under a student visa.

I understood (almost) the steps to convert an ICAO license to Transport Canada too.

So my aviation situation is:

I`m Brazilian;
I have an Aeronautics Sciences Bachelor Degree
I have a Brazilian (ANAC, ICAO) CPL+SE+ME+IFR and Flight Instructor Licenses
I have an ICAO English Level 4
No Type Rate
I`ve worked as F/O for an Air Taxi Operator (Taxi Aéreo Hércules), MEDEVAC operation at Amazon Region, flying the Piper Cheyenne II (PA31T).
I`ve 220TT

Along with my College studies, I pretend to convert my brazilian license to the canadian one. So, afther 2 years, I would have all the pilot licenses, medical, etc, and would be starting my 3 years work permit time under the student visa. Would I be ready for a pilot/flight instructor position?

Thanks in advance.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Thales Coelho wrote:Hi all, first post here!

First of all, I understand that I need to HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK AND LIVE IN CANADA! Hahahaha! Thats obvious (or not) and I`m not planning a hole change in my life just to stay illegal somewhere.

So my plan is to study at a College (like Seneca @Toronto) a 2yrs aviation operations program, what would give me the right to work 20hr/week during the studies and afther the conclusion, 3 years of full time working, all under a student visa.

I understood (almost) the steps to convert an ICAO license to Transport Canada too.

I`m Brazilian;
No Type Rate
I`ve worked as F/O for an Air Taxi Operator (Taxi Aéreo Hércules), MEDEVAC operation at Amazon Region, flying the Piper Cheyenne II (PA31T).
I`ve 220TT

Along with my College studies, I pretend to convert my brazilian license to the canadian one. So, afther 2 years, I would have all the pilot licenses, medical, etc, and would be starting my 3 years work permit time under the student visa. Would I be ready for a pilot/flight instructor position?

Thanks in advance.
1. How long did you work for this Air Taxi / Medevac, if you only have 220 hrs Total Time? Did you work there a day and it was foggy so you didn't fly? 200 hrs is the min need to get a license (at least by ICAO standards)

2. Coming to Seneca and studying aviation / working part time? Good luck with your grades!

Das ist mir wurst...
Thales Coelho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thales Coelho »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:23 pm

I`m Brazilian;
No Type Rate
I`ve 220TT

Thanks in advance.
1. How long did you work for this Air Taxi / Medevac, if you only have 220 hrs Total Time? Did you work there a day and it was foggy so you didn't fly? 200 hrs is the min need to get a license (at least by ICAO standards)

2. Coming to Seneca and studying aviation / working part time? Good luck with your grades!
Hello!

Here in Brazil we get the CPL with 140h real time (+25h IFR SIM). Thats the difference. Here also we dont have any rule about a minimum amount of TT to get part 135 or part 121 jobs, Azul Airlines (David Neeleman) historicaly always got low timers for the ATR or E-195. Now LATAM is hiring with 200tt for A320, but you have to have a father or other shark to put you inside, and I dont have it. Anyway my point is that I wanna move from Brazil due to other problems like violence, I suffered a lot with it in 2017.

I worked for Taxi Aereo Hercules for about 3 months. In real life I flew about 90hr as a Cheyenne II copilot for them, based at Macapa (SBMQ) doind medevac ops, mainly to Oiapoque (SBOI), Monte Dourado (SBMQ), Gurupi (SWGI). At the paper, I got only 25h, because they have the fucking practice of putting another crew at the Logbook for any reason, and also writing less flying time than the real for each leg. That was one of the reasons I quit the company.

That was my work horse. Unfortunately it landed without landing gear at Navegantes (SBNF) some weeks ago and may be the end of its life. Was a great time flying it, despite all the company`s problems. Door closes, ah it was a great time over Amazon.
16640575_10203039435103726_3632924811818997756_n.jpg
16640575_10203039435103726_3632924811818997756_n.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 20846 times
Now I`m working as a Flight Instructor for CHB Escola de Aviação, Belo Horizonte (SBBH). Very recent job, not flying mutch because of rain and vacations here in BH.
25445988_10204322002447108_434894175310324056_n.jpg
25445988_10204322002447108_434894175310324056_n.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 20846 times
Didnt get why I cant study on Seneca and work part time? The money to the College and to the licenses and even for the living I do have from Brazil anyway, so its working just to not burn money way with the living, but if needed, I have it now.

Its about time/heavy study?

Can you elaborate more? Im at the process of getting more information about anything related to this plan, if you can help me understand a little bit more about the reality there in Canada, I apreciate.

Best regards

Thales Coelho, from Brazil.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Thales Coelho wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:33 am
HansDietrich wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:23 pm

I`m Brazilian;
No Type Rate
I`ve 220TT

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Here in Brazil we get the CPL with 140h real time (+25h IFR SIM). Thats the difference. Here also we dont have any rule about a minimum amount of TT to get part 135 or part 121 jobs, Azul Airlines (David Neeleman) historicaly always got low timers for the ATR or E-195. Now LATAM is hiring with 200tt for A320, but you have to have a father or other shark to put you inside, and I dont have it. Anyway my point is that I wanna move from Brazil due to other problems like violence, I suffered a lot with it in 2017.

I worked for Taxi Aereo Hercules for about 3 months. In real life I flew about 90hr as a Cheyenne II copilot for them, based at Macapa (SBMQ) doind medevac ops, mainly to Oiapoque (SBOI), Monte Dourado (SBMQ), Gurupi (SWGI). At the paper, I got only 25h, because they have the fucking practice of putting another crew at the Logbook for any reason, and also writing less flying time than the real for each leg. That was one of the reasons I quit the company.

That was my work horse. Unfortunately it landed without landing gear at Navegantes (SBNF) some weeks ago and may be the end of its life. Was a great time flying it, despite all the company`s problems. Door closes, ah it was a great time over Amazon.
16640575_10203039435103726_3632924811818997756_n.jpg

Now I`m working as a Flight Instructor for CHB Escola de Aviação, Belo Horizonte (SBBH). Very recent job, not flying mutch because of rain and vacations here in BH.
25445988_10204322002447108_434894175310324056_n.jpg

Didnt get why I cant study on Seneca and work part time? The money to the College and to the licenses and even for the living I do have from Brazil anyway, so its working just to not burn money way with the living, but if needed, I have it now.

Its about time/heavy study?

Can you elaborate more? Im at the process of getting more information about anything related to this plan, if you can help me understand a little bit more about the reality there in Canada, I apreciate.

Best regards

Thales Coelho, from Brazil.
Nice, 140hr minimum 🙃

Seneca is notoriously difficult as a program. I finished at a college that offered an aviation program that was not Seneca however with a full course load/flying in the off time there was no way to schedule any type of consistent work. I would imagine Seneca is quite the same.

I'm not sure how schooling is in Brazil, so take that with a grain of salt, but I found the course load took up a lot of my time.

First year at Seneca I believe you don't even fly, just classes, and since it's a government subsidized program they weed out the weaker students for the flying slots in the second semester. It's been quite a while since I even looked at any aviation college so correct me if I'm wrong.

If you do graduate and have the right to work in Canada there is no doubt you'll move up quickly I'm this industry, until the regional level (Crj, dh8, etc) but realistically wouldn't be until you finished school, so 4-5 years?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There is a lot of lost opportunity spending 3 years in a program to get where you already are. Commercial license with a degree...

I would focus on getting a job where you are. If you want to immigrate to Canada get that ball rolling through the normal channels while building your experience and then convert your license and apply to an airline here as an experienced pilot.

Seneca would be the last place I'd be looking to go if I was already out flying Cheyennes... If you are at on doing a program, maybe just hammer off your TC licenses with a traditional flight school. You can do that over the summer of you set yourself to it.

Thales Coelho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thales Coelho »

I fully understand that the College would be great time loosing, the key is the doors it opens to immigration. As Im married and have two little kids, my plan is to move with them, so with the college my wife could work and kids would have school. Thats what I understood by now, but everyday new information and more details are coming. Its not simple stuff!

The market here in Brazil just "melted". By 2009-2011 if you had blood press they was picking you to fly 737-300 (WebJet), ATR (Trip) or E-190 (Azul). With the blow of the economy (all was pr of the socialist government, masking the numbers. Afther the reelection of Dilma they let the reality appear and the countr just blew).

So I got my CPL at 2012 and gradueted at 2013. Worked at the check-in counter for TAP Portugal and then American Airlines here at Belo Horizonte/CNF.

My first pilot job was just at 2016, 4 years after my checkride. And I just got that one because of a friend who put me there. But with all the irregularities of the air taxi, living with the family in a very poor city at Amazon region, I returned to my city. Just now I got (I didnt get, at the end we can say I bought it, long history) the Flight Instructor job but due to lack of students the school is for sale. Since November I flew only 12hr at the school!

So in Brazil im very sadly getting out of aviation as I need to feed my family, but with everything not contracting, Im stuck without a plan to the future. With sll that violence, all that corruption, I cant see future here in Brazil. This is all very sad, as my child dream is to be a pilot and, after experimenting it, Im being forced to give up.

Thats how Canada came to my life. So the College would be more a way, a path to immigration, a better try. But I dont know, cuz a friend of mine started a College of nothing in Vancouver, than got out of it and is just doing his pilot licenses. Same history of mine, no future in Brazil, but he just got the CPL and moved to Vancouver. I understand that he now got a job offer prior the completion of his Flight Instructor license.

Obviously I wold prefer to get a jib at Lider Taxi Aereo (biggest part 135 in South America, based here in Belo Horizonte, have one friend flying there but nothing) or Latam, Avianca or Copa (dream) and in some years expat to middle east. But it wont happen as Im stuck with my 235TT. Neither in Amazon there is jobs, a friend lived in Manaus for 2 years and got nothing!

Thank you a lot for your information. More information, the best.

Best regards,

Thales Coelho

P.S. sorry for the letter I wrote kkk

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

Its tragic that in Canada there are a lot of "rednecks" who don't like immigrants.

Let's set the record straight.
It is EXTREMELY EASY for you to move to Canada and work here as a flight instructor or pilot.
The Immigration issue is also very easily solved.
Contact the right employer and they will be able to assist you.

Just expect most employers NOT to answer resumes because MOST do NOT understand
just how incredibly easy the process is.

You need a visa, there are many forms. First, I'd suggest you plan on getting
a Canadian Flight Instructor Rating and or a US Flight Instructor rating.

You can split the training. Do half of it in the USA, get a US FAA CFI
then do 15 hrs air and 15 ground to prepare for the Canadian ride and that way
you have two additional countries where you will be qualified.

I would strongly suggest you contact Harv's Air in Winnipeg MB
as they have a very positive attitude towards assisting foreign students
and you should give them a phone call. Try calling their Stienbach office

Results may vary
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Results may vary »

Hey guys,

After asking around a few (younger) contacts who have flown in Canada, I have a question re New Zealand pilots over the 2 year work permit age (somewhere around 30 or 32 I think).

Has anyone had or know anyone from NZ, who is "30+", that has successfully gained employment in Canada? I have 1800TT with 1150 float and 600 C208....Ideally looking for a single turbine gig on wheels or floats...

Just trying to get a helpful lead as everything else I've found has been for younger pilots.

Cheers

Coppertop401
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Coppertop401 »

Seems to me that if you don't have "Status" in Canada you should not have the right to work. Unless as in a previous posts you are working under a student visa or temporary work permit, but those have restrictions and time limits (ie: student visa is for going to school and not working).

Examples of Status are:

* Refugee Status
* Landed Immigrant Status
* Permanent Resident (along with PR Card)
* Canadian Citizen

Unless there's some loophole? I think that is it. That's the way it should be anyway.

ThomasMSalazar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ThomasMSalazar »

Very interesting thread as this is exactly what I plan. To immigrate to Canada and work there as a pilot. I have quite a lot of experience and solid english skills (no french skills though but as I understand it, french is not needed).

Ideally, I would like to to get a permanent residency there and later maybe even Canadian citizenship. In last weeks, I am reading through sites like this one or this one, trying to understand the whole immigration process and its requirements.

I feel like "Express entry" or "Provincial nominees" programs would the best for me, is that right? Is here anybody who tried at and lives in Canada now? I need to gather as many info as possible before applying there...

thx

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Two points to make:
1. Canada is a pretty welcoming place. Pilots who want your job might not be so nice.
2. Canada is highly competitive. It is not easy getting ahead in our country, in any profession. The world is very very small.

Yaser
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yaser »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sat May 24, 2014 4:56 am
North Shore wrote: 17). HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA!!!

If anyone else has input or additions, please feel free to add
I used to think you were correct. But that was when I was naive. You are wrong,

Any foreign pilot and their pilot mother can work in Canada. Here is how.

First, you find one of the 75 (or so) Canadian companies that in 2013 alone, hired non-Canadian, non-resident Temporary Foreign Workers in Canada:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... 2May14.pdf

A partial list of these companies can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=96444&p=877781&hil ... ra#p877781

It doesn't matter what kind of flying you do, there is an employer on this list for you. Flight Instructor, Fire Patrol, Pipeline patrol, Survey, Photography, Crop Dusting, Helicopter pilot of any kind, Executive pilot, Commuter pilots, Military Pilots, Airline pilots, Simulator Instructors, Test pilots, whatever you fly, there is a Canadian employer looking to hire you rather than hire a Canadian pilot.

You just send them an email, stating you are a foreign pilot willing to work for them. Please state whatever asset you may have that a Canadian may not have.

One of those assets may be an unverifiable logbook. Yes that is something certain Canadian employer look for to satisfy un-reasonable customers or insurance requirements. Others may want to hear that you will fly for free. Or sleep in the hangar. Sometimes your type rating may do the job. Even if its just a paper type rating with zero experience. Just tell them what they need to hear and you may get a free ticket to Canada. You may have fighter pilot time in your country ? Maybe you just bought yourself a 737NG type rating ? Those are hot in Canada. Perhaps you are a helicopter pilot with 1500 hours in his logbook and a certain endorsement ?

Once you have convinced the Canadian employer that you are the pilot they need, they will apply for a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) on your behalf from Employment and Social Development Canada (EDSC). This is just a formality. The employer will know how to fill one out in order to get it approved. If he doesn't, there are law firms that specialize in filling those out. I can provide the names of the law firms on request.

Once your LMO is approved, the employer should send it to you, along with an employment letter. If you come from a country that requires a visa to enter Canada, you then go to your local Canadian embassy who will deliver the visa. The work permit will be delivered by Canada Customs upon your arrival. It's Immigration Canada (CIC) that really delivers the permit but delegates Canada Customs to do it on their behalf. If you do not require a visa to enter Canada, just hop on the first flight and collect your work permit upon arrival (upon presentation of your approved LMO and a matching employment letter).

You have a foreign pilot's licence ? No problem. We have a very compliant Minister of Transport which defers to the will of ESDC and CIC (those that deliver the LMOs and work Permits) and will issue a document called a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) which will allow you to do any commercial flying in Canada with a foreign licence. However, the employer must apply for the FLVC on your behalf. But that is just a formality. They are never refused.

So welcome to Canada! You guys can all come and fly in Canada, while Canadian pilots who need a job can just go find a job ....... elsewhere. Globalization right ?
Dear sir can you send private message
I just wanted to contact you but I am new here sadly I can't send you.
Thing is about the law firms that specialize in filling those out. And you said I can provide the names of the law firms on request.

Return to “Employment Forum”