To all Experianced AME

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

shuvodas
Rank 0
Rank 0

To all Experianced AME

Post by shuvodas »

To all the experienced Ame out there. I am 35 and have passion for aircraft. My background is IT but I really want to change it. I have did some research but I still need your help to understand the industry,, the entire licensing process, and at this stage of my life if its a wise decision to start all over again. I did my home work for Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course in Centennial College Scarborough campus. Now My question is::
1. First I want a clear concept of E and M rating.
2.They offer two different program. a. Aircraft maintenance engineering and B. Avionics Maintenance Engineering. So between two of this which one would be a good choice.
3.Obviously they don't keep a A380 in their hanger to teach their student. So, once i pass the course how do i get the necessary working experience and technical and theoretical knowledge to to sit for the AME licensing exam??
4. How hard This AME licensing exam is?? What it covers? Apart from hands on experience is there any books for theoretical question?
4. I understand where ever you work or what ever you do,,, In a job market it all depends on your experience and knowledge. Everybody start from the beginning. From the course to a real hanger as an AME how the entire journey plays off??

To all the Senior Aircraft Engineer out there who are working at the moment or used to work,, with all the respect if you guys please help me to understand the entire journey i would be really thankful. I have a huge interest in this field. I know it will be a long shot but before i take any serious decision about my carrier I really need your help to understand if the juice is worth squeezing.

Thank you all for the help
---------- ADS -----------

wrenchturnin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: To all Experianced AME

Post by wrenchturnin »

First off, you really need to make sure your are getting into aviation for the right reasons. The wrong reason to get into it is the Money and good working conditions.
Contrary the the general publics knowledge aircraft mechanics generally do not make good money and have to do shift work(night shifts, evening shifts, erratic schedules, last minute emergency calls to fly out somewhere to resuce an aircraft). In my opinion M2 (Large Aircraft) is the better side of aviation. Better pay. Better working conditions.

Now if you LOVE airplanes and the above doesn't scare you then some of the good reasons are Pride, theres nothing like signing a logbook and watching the aircraft take off after majors repairs and maintenance. Comradery and being close to your fellow AME'S and apprentices. You will have adventures and good times like you've never had before. And a general love for wrenching. You have to put in the gritty, dirty, chellenging work ethics which at the end of the day are worth it to you and doesnt stress you.

Schooling for Mechanics are generally Confederation College (Thunder Bay) Centennial College (Scarborough) Lena College (Saint Hubert Quebec) Canadore College (North Bay Ontario) BCIT (Vancouver) . 2 Year Full time 40hrs/week program. Avionics is now a seperate course offered at multiple places. Avionics generally makes more $$ and have better schedules but less travelling adventures and less variety of work (Your at home base most if the time).

You need your college level High school courses etc...
Experienced is gained by getting hired anywhere you can and working for 30 more monthes to become licensed. The only exam you need after you have the school + working experience is a CARS regulation exam. It is not a Red Seal trade so dont expect any grants from the government.

Good Luck.

Gos
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Gos »

Do you like chasing the wire? ot using a multimeter all the time. Yes, avionics is for you. No, choose mechanic instead. It all comes back to that.

E license is for avionics. You can only do a maintenance release on anything related to electronic and electricity. Computers or any electric side of any component.

M License is every aspect of a aircraft. Engine, airframe, electricity. M license can sign the same thing than a E license but an E license cannot release the engines or airframe part.

In theory, you need 48 months of experience in the industry, pass 4 transport canada exams and fill 1 logbook to get the license. BUT the course at college (2 or 3 years depending the college) will cut some of those requirement. If you attend college with no more that 5% of absenteeism, you will be credited 18-20 months of experience. The rest you get it working in the industry. If you get 70% or more at all your theory exam at college, you will be credited 3 exams and have just the regulation one to pass.

Regulations exam, refered as cars( Canadian aviation regulations) demand quite some time of studying to pass it but nothing undoable.

Money wise. It depends really where you end up in the industry. Commercial aviation, private, helicopter.... like wrenchturnin said I think the M2 large aircraft is probably the best deal around. But you need to understand that night shift work, really early shift, 12-14 hours shifts or rotational shift is the way it is. I actually do rotational shift in northen canada at the moment. money is quite good. around 70k/year but I have to be away from home for couples weeks at the time. If you work in big cities, the night shift will be your best friend.

baileyrory
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by baileyrory »

A career change is a scary prospect. Best of luck to you!

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

E license is for avionics. You can only do a maintenance release on anything related to electronic and electricity. Computers or any electric side of any component.

M License is every aspect of a aircraft. Engine, airframe, electricity. M license can sign the same thing than a E license but an E license cannot release the engines or airframe part.
Here we go......

Gos
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Gos »

ourkid2000 wrote:

Here we go......
Did I say something wrong there?

tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

To the original poster.

Don't do this.

You are 35. At one time you could reasonably expect to get an M1/M2 license in 4 or 4 1/2 years. Now, you would be lucky to get one rating in 5. If you decide you are in the wrong category and want to get the other rating that will take one year, theoretically. In practice, I would expect to take two or more IF you work at an employer with a mixed fleet. In other words, to get both M1 and M2 would be anywhere from six to seven years...or more.

That will make you 42.

Is it likely you will have a comfortable 9 to 5 hangar job with good pay at that time? It's possible. It's also possible I may have sex with Kathleen Wynne sometime in the next few days, but not that likely. The subject of lifestyle has been covered in these forums many times.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Whatever...look at his handle...

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

Our repair shop does a mixed fleet. The apprentices in our shop write both M1 and M2 in 2.5 years. The numbers quoted by the poster above are incorrect.

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Angusnofangus »

FWIW, my own personal observations: AME 'E's seem to be in great demand and can go just about anywhere they want. I have a friend who is an E, works in Papua New Guinea, makes a huge amount of money. The trade-off is that he is away from home half the year as he does rotations, and spends a huge amount of time on airliners. I know and work with other E's, and they seem to have no trouble finding work.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

...and if your 35 you still have 30+ years before retirement. HALF YOUR LIFE!

32 years before you get the OAS..

But give up now... right tellyourkids?

You go ahead and keep thinking about sex.....

rolly117
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rolly117 »

this will ruin your life unless you have another way to make a liveng

rolly117
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rolly117 »

too late in the game the apprentices will kill you for advances in you career the motto is to sculpt the employees the young dog shit is available out of college and you are considered over the hill
i did at 35 an0 and it has not done me anything but cause grief
stick to your know how

Return to “Maintenance”