1900 incident Ontario

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

1900 incident Ontario

Post by DrSpaceman »

---------- ADS -----------

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: 1900 incident Ontario

Post by linecrew »

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

I was taxing out of 101A that night and we got slightly delayed as that 1900 taxied into his gate i think was 105...

Anyway, koodos at the crew, great job bringing it down.
The right orizontal tail fin was badly damaged ( sorry the 1900 had too many fins to know the name of each)

But again good job!

Andy

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

There're another Beech 1900 top cowl cover that went MIA form a Canadian partner aircraft somewhere between YKZ and YOW in the early 90s. I was a rampie for them at YOW when we got a gate change call for the inbound flight. It was the farthest gate from the then terminal building. As I marshalled them into the gate my eyes almost popped out of my head as I saw the exposed engine.

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

I presume these guys are GGN?

linecrew, do you know what the cause happened to be on that 1900 that you marshalled in?

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

HiLo wrote:I presume these guys are GGN?

linecrew, do you know what the cause happened to be on that 1900 that you marshalled in?
I recall someone saying that there had been some maintenance work done on the aircraft at CYKZ and supposedly didn't re-secure the cowling fasteners properly or something to that effect. Seems like a million years ago now...around 1992ish.

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

Thanks linecrew. I wonder if the same factor is at play here. Musta scared the living daylights out of the pax, if there were any on board. I'm curious as to why the article doesn't mention who the operator is.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

CADORS Number: 2016O0489
2016-03-21
Narrative:
At 0155Z, an Air Georgian Beech 1900 (GGN7260) from Toronto, ON (CYYZ) to Kingston, ON (CYGK) reported losing a 2ft by 3ft piece of the top right engine cowling at 13000ft over Lake Ontario shoreline. Non Emergency. GGN7260 requested return CYYZ. GGN7260 landed Runway 05 at 0228Z without incident. No operational impact. Transportation Safety Board (TSB) was advised.

Newbie apprentice/unfamiliar AME caught out by the Beech forward cowl latch cams?

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

Thanks GyvAir, I was waaaay too lazy to do that myself. I guess all the apprentices there are getting a crash course in how to properly secure a cowl.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

All the 1900s I've seen have an extra set of bolts you thread in that'll hold it down as well.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

andy_mtl wrote:I was taxing out of 101A that night and we got slightly delayed as that 1900 taxied into his gate i think was 105...

Anyway, koodos at the crew, great job bringing it down.
The right orizontal tail fin was badly damaged ( sorry the 1900 had too many fins to know the name of each)

But again good job!

Andy
Kudos to all the crew who pick up on an unsecured cowl on the walk around and never get recognition.
Good job

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

The 1900 has the four bolts on the cowl, i was dispatched without them safety wired. I complained and was told wasn't necessary. I stood around till they did. As they wear you stand a bigger chance of problems at the end of the day, well shit happens to everyone

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Georgian is the only operator I know with the four bolts and lockwire. Others are just two bolts up front...no lockwire. From Beech they just have the latches.

MagicMilkshake
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MagicMilkshake »

Complacency on the part of the supervising maintenance official. Rushing to get the plane out in time is not worth lives.

anona
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anona »

Down East we have most of fleet fitted with an extra "ear" on the top part of the cowl, that bolt securely to the bottom part.
Those latches do indeed get quite worn. We've had upper cowls separate but not completely detach!
Even one with the "ear" modification, the rear end of the cowl popped up one of those planes!

Those Georgian pilots are quite lucky that the detached cowl didn't take out the stabilon or tailet!

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

It did take out the tailet.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Those top cowl attachments are a weak point in the Beechcraft design, King Airs and all. Need to give every latch a good upward jolt with the palm of your hand and make sure it doesn't move. Quite often I would find one not done up properly, and have to go find an mechanic. I know of one company that made the policy of requiring dual sign-outs whenever the top cowl came off.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

2016-03-18

An Air Georgian Beech 1900D (C-GAAR), operating as flight GGN7260, departed Toronto LBPIA
(CYYZ) en route to Kingston (CYGK). At 13000 feet the flight crew heard a loud noise. A visual
inspection revealed that the right engine upper forward cowling had departed the aircraft. There
were no handling difficulties and flight crew elected to return to Toronto. An emergency was not
declared and the aircraft landed without further incident.

Subsequently, an inspection showed that the engine cowling had dented the right side of the
fuselage. As well, the cowling struck the right stabilon causing significant damage; a piece of the
cowling remained imbedded in the stabilon. The aircraft is grounded while maintenance repairs the
dented fuselage and replaces the stabilon.

Maintenance had been accomplished on the engine a week prior to the occurrence. The cowling
had been secured in accordance with the maintenance manual and lock-wired closed as per
company procedures. A preliminary company investigation indicates that 3 of the 4 cowling cam
latch devices may not have been engaging properly. An Air Georgian fleet wide campaign has
been undertaken to inspect all cam latches for proper fastening as part of an ongoing internal
company investigation.

Thanks, pelmet.

Return to “General Comments”