Bose a20 and sunglasses

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shurshot17
Rank 2
Rank 2

Bose a20 and sunglasses

Post by shurshot17 »

Any recommendations for sunglasses that work good with a20's. Keep good seal around ears and keep the ANR working good.
---------- ADS -----------

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bose a20 and sunglasses

Post by cpt.sam »

Took me many many moons to find a pair of prescription sunglasses to fit properly and not impede the ANR functionality of the A20.
In the end, I sold a kidney ( my neighbor won't miss it ) and bought a pair of ridiculously overpriced RayBans from Vogue Optical.
They aren't perfect, but BY FAR the best I've found!
I suggest you bring your headset with you...

skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skydivepilot »

I use Ray-Ban Tech carbon fiber sunglasses and Oakley Fives Squared. The Ray-Bans seal the best but nothing I have tried with A20 is as good as no sunglasses. I am happy wearing the Oakleys and Ray-Bans though.

Attachments
ray-ban_1501125c.jpg
ray-ban_1501125c.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
fivessquared2.jpg
fivessquared2.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

Ray ban original wayfarers !!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I used a couple different pairs of serengeti's. They have thin wire earpieces. There still was a little extra noise when wearing them but not a lot.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I have a pair of Rayban's from Mec, great prices. I've found that almost any flat metal frames glasses can be bent and tweaked enough to hug the side of your head where the earcups meet and really help the ANR. Had no luck with any plastic or carbon frames for that reason.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I've had no problems with either original Rayban Aviators or my pair of Rayban Wayfarers (the frame is quite thick). That's with a Lightspeed Zulu PFX though.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Ray Ban Chris sunglasses and Zulu2. Work great, and I'd imagine they work just as well with the Bose.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Gave up on trying to get headsets to seal over sunglasses so I just use these. I don't look as cool without my Maverick shades but...

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

I do not use Bose, but I wear a hat with my headset and tuck my glasses up under my hat and resting on the outside of the headset cushion. Works well in a Beaver.
Bob

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

http://www.gilt.com/brand/mosley-tribes ... sunglasses

Mosley Tribes's Bronson with the A20s.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Another thing worth noting. When I got my first medical the Dr. held a tuning fork against my forehead and determined that I have sound conductivity from my forehead through the bone to my ears. Especially the left ear, which is about 50 Db worse than my right ear in the human voice average range now. Wearing a hat actually protects your ears as well as your eyes.
Who'd of thought?

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

I am a geeser now , sort of , but no one used headsets in 1979 when I was learning. We are all deaf now, but my instructor was deaf then!
the odd headset was showing up around 1982 or so.
All us geezers use whatever glasses we like , and fly around looking like dorks with our glasses" arms" resting above our headsets, so nothing gets between us and our gel ear seals... LOL and our glasses are tilted a bit...

Airspeed-Alive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Airspeed-Alive »

anofly wrote:I am a geeser now , sort of , but no one used headsets in 1979 when I was learning. We are all deaf now, but my instructor was deaf then!
the odd headset was showing up around 1982 or so.
All us geezers use whatever glasses we like , and fly around looking like dorks with our glasses" arms" resting above our headsets, so nothing gets between us and our gel ear seals... LOL and our glasses are tilted a bit...
Beat me to it. I wear $5 sunglasses and tilt the arms up over the ear cups. Sometime's I'll spend the big bucks and get a $15 pair. My RayBans sit at home a lot. They do fit much better under the seal, but it's still not as quiet or comfortable at putting the arm bands up and over.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Randolf engineering with the "bayonet" sides are designed for wearing under headsets and flight helmets.

Gatorz are all aluminum with thin sides, designed for wearing in helmets for most extreme sports.

Side note, I've found with my lightspeed Zulus most any sunglasses work just fine.

Polarized is best, but first make sure it won't distort the screens on windshield of the plane (some are UV treated), in my experience this goes ether way based on the sunglasses, Spys tend to be just fine.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

SuperchargedRS wrote:Randolf engineering with the "bayonet" sides are designed for wearing under headsets and flight helmets.

Gatorz are all aluminum with thin sides, designed for wearing in helmets for most extreme sports.

Side note, I've found with my lightspeed Zulus most any sunglasses work just fine.

Polarized is best, but first make sure it won't distort the screens on windshield of the plane (some are UV treated), in my experience this goes ether way based on the sunglasses, Spys tend to be just fine.
+1 on the Randolf's, however, you can get a pair of American Opticals which are the identical patent design, but for around half the price on amazon.

I also use some good old fashion original Ray Ban aviators and they have such a slim arm you can't even feel them under the headset, let alone notice any performance penalties from the headset.

Return to “General Comments”