Westjet culture

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Westjet culture

Post by Rockie »

The definition of harassment and a caustic work environment courtesy of their CEO. Your orders are to drink the koolaid and drive out those that don't.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet ... -1.3515255

"At one meeting. there was talk about personal spirit and employees having the right tools to do their jobs, but it wasn't all cheerful.

"There are WestJetters who don't contribute positively to the culture," said WestJet CEO Gregg Saretsky at one of the meetings. "We've read the stories on Westnet [WestJet's internal forum], we've seen their comments and we need to bring these people back into the fold.

"And if we can't bring them back into the fold, we have to make it uncomfortable for them to stay here. They need to find their happiness elsewhere."

That comment was received with loud applause from hundreds of WestJet staff at the meeting, but it was also seen by some as a jab at unionization efforts at the airline.

WestJet declined an interview for this story."
---------- ADS -----------

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet culture

Post by pilotbzh »

I know a few lawyer that would love to use that quote in a bullying at work case..... They'd make millions....
Great company culture, heard it before, Mickey Mouse from the outside, Kim Jong-un in the inside...

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

The CEO is deliberately creating an "us" vs "them" division between worthy westjetters and unworthy ones, and he's leaving it up to individuals to determine who is unworthy. Then he is whipping up a mob mentality exhorting the true believers to target those they deem unworthy and make their workplace uncomfortable with the explicit purpose of making them quit. Tactics they use to accomplish that are apparently left to their discretion.

I can think of dozens of adjectives to describe this and none of them are good.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

So what happens to the productive Westjetter with an impeccable work record who has been deemed by a co-worker to not "contribute positively to the culture"?

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

Nothing.

Last edited by Transonic on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

Sounds kinda like the church of scientology :rolleyes:

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

It's speculation on my part that they keep files on all employees with anything that can be used at a later stage to terminate the trouble-makers if needed. It's very unfortunate that the perceived culture may not be that what is portrayed.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

It's speculation on my part that your speculation is the biggest load of BS I've read today.

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

A guess its a slow day when you have to pick on WestJet's culture. Not ever airline needs to be run like taxpayer funded Air Canada.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Rockie wrote:The CEO is deliberately creating an "us" vs "them" division between worthy westjetters and unworthy ones, and he's leaving it up to individuals to determine who is unworthy. Then he is whipping up a mob mentality exhorting the true believers to target those they deem unworthy and make their workplace uncomfortable with the explicit purpose of making them quit. Tactics they use to accomplish that are apparently left to their discretion.

Settle down.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Shady McSly wrote:
Rockie wrote:The CEO is deliberately creating an "us" vs "them" division between worthy westjetters and unworthy ones, and he's leaving it up to individuals to determine who is unworthy. Then he is whipping up a mob mentality exhorting the true believers to target those they deem unworthy and make their workplace uncomfortable with the explicit purpose of making them quit. Tactics they use to accomplish that are apparently left to their discretion.

Settle down.
The CEO is the executive ultimately responsible for providing a harassment free and safe workplace, something he swore up and down was Westjet's policy a short while ago if you recall. Do you think that's what he's doing with these latest comments? Not only is it reprehensible and completely contrary to what he promised all Westjet employees just a few weeks ago, it's illegal.

By dividing employees like that and inciting institutional harassment of almost half of them he is breaking the law and creating a poisonous workplace, which is already becoming increasingly caustic without stupidity like that. Believe me, the language I'm using to describe this is as dry as possible. Hope that you don't ever find yourself on the receiving end of such treatment at your workplace.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Sounds like high school. If you don't like the same parties, you don't belong to the cool kids :roll:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arctic84 »

Hey Rockie, not one factual rebuttal from the 3 attempts.
You might like this artical.
http://thetyee.ca/News/2016/03/22/WestJ ... stigation/

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”