Jazz questions

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Foo Fighter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jazz questions

Post by Foo Fighter »

Couple of questions,

1. On average, how much are first year FO's bringing home each month (net income)?

2. What's the average income per month in per diems?

3. How many days off a month are new hires getting? ( I realize people are moving up in seniority quickly these days)

4. Lastly , what's the projected time these days for new hire upgrades?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Jazz questions

Post by Shady McSly »

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

Per diems are not income

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

You are right, 3$/flight hour per diem is not income.
Almost 90$/day or 1000-1300$/month net...is ;-)

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

As for the questions at hand,
I cannot say how much new hires net but contractually min days off are 12/month. Can pickup shifts on flica for overtime or wait for them to call you.
Upgrades times depends on base and progression. Once PML is exhausted (shortly) things will slow again to attrition and retirements until the fabled PML2 starts again. Mist junior capt in YYC and Yyz is under 2 years. Yul is around 4-5 years.
Hope it helps.

Foo Fighter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Foo Fighter »

Thanks for the feedback proper.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I average $1000 per month perdiems and spend less than half that at work. Not only is it income, it's tax free income :lol:

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

av8ts wrote:I average $1000 per month perdiems and spend less than half that at work. Not only is it income, it's tax free income :lol:
This is going to become a target to CRA if pilots keep bragging about it. Let the Naysayers say nay. It's always those on the outside looking in who have the worst to say. Funny ain't it...

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Nope,
We actually benchmarked our per diem with the Federal government rates. Don't worry, when a CRA auditor goes on a trip out of town, he/she gets 90$ for three meals...indexed.
We should all strive up, not drag the leader down. We all know who wins when that happens.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I work an average of 17 days a month. I'm averaging 2400/month net with no OT just from wages. So thats 13-14 off.

per diems as a block holder range from 1000-1300/month

Upgrades are seniority based. Most junior capt is YYC classic and hired nov 2014. Most junior YVR? 15years... YUL and YYZ are in the 4-5 range.

Anything else?

FlyHigh13
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyHigh13 »

Most junior captain is YYZ Q

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Rowdy wrote:I work an average of 17 days a month. I'm averaging 2400/month net with no OT just from wages. So thats 13-14 off.

per diems as a block holder range from 1000-1300/month

Upgrades are seniority based. Most junior capt is YYC classic and hired nov 2014. Most junior YVR? 15years... YUL and YYZ are in the 4-5 range.

Anything else?
I can pretty much second this, but I've never had more than 16 days. Typically 15. I also bid a commuters schedule if that makes any difference.

Just as an aside, a rsv line holder will see 18-19 days of rsv a month.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I get the impression the Classic guys have the most days due to the shorter flights. Seems they get about 17 days, Q guys get 15-16 and the RJ 13-15.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

@skypirate. Very true. Especially out west where it's all short hops. Those YCD's and YYJ turns are a handful for minimal credit.

I bid for 3 and 4 day productive pairings.. I guess it's just the nature of the beast :wink:

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

2400/month, but it's Sky Regional that's bringing down the industry? wow.

PROC_HDG

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

PROC_HDG wrote:2400/month, but it's Sky Regional that's bringing down the industry? wow.

PROC_HDG
Don't worry. Somebody will blink once there are empty seats on initial ground-schools. After one carrier ups starting pay then they will all have to.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

rudder wrote:
PROC_HDG wrote:2400/month, but it's Sky Regional that's bringing down the industry? wow.

PROC_HDG
Don't worry. Somebody will blink once there are empty seats on initial ground-schools. After one carrier ups starting pay then they will all have to.
Its already happening...

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Jazz guaranteed days off: 12 at 36$/hr or about 36000$/yr
Skyregional guaranteed days off:9 at about 43000$/yr.
Works out to be about the same pay. Throw in the pension, short term and long term disability, travel insurance, benefits, etc... Jazz is way ahead of sky, encore and Ggn.
Facts are facts.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

proper wrote:Jazz guaranteed days off: 12 at 36$/hr or about 36000$/yr
Skyregional guaranteed days off:9 at about 43000$/yr.
Works out to be about the same pay. Throw in the pension, short term and long term disability, travel insurance, benefits, etc... Jazz is way ahead of sky, encore and Ggn.
Facts are facts.
Nobody at Sky is working 21 days a month, except maybe the groomers.

Jazz has better work rules and a better pension, but who cares when by the time it matters it'll be just another low bottom stepping stone like the others? As for the rest of that stuff you listed, I'm pretty sure Sky, GGN and Encore all have these things.

PROC_HDG

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Nope, oh and "that stuff" is about 400$/month on company dim and 350 on me. If I get hit by a bus on vacation in Mexico, not only am I evacuated (or God forbid my family) to Canada or up to 2 million$ each family member, but I will continue to collect 70% of my pay NET, and have the insurance company continue my pension contributions until my "would have been" retirement age. It is the utmost security you can have for you and your family. This is in addition to in the event of accidental death, six times your gross salary in life insurance (that's the basic plan/ if not accidental 3 times gross salary) not to mention the additional insurance you can get through ALPA. Oh wait I forgot, God forbid you do die, your wife or partner will have 20 000$ cash wired directly to cover funeral arrangements. You tell me one other company ANYWHERE that can offer that. Yes my portion is expensive (around 350$/month) but in addition to all that we get the whole free massages, treatments, vision, medical and dental. That is if I have one wife and no kids, or one wife and 12 kids.... still 350$/month.
Yeah I'm sure GGN, Sky and Encore have that. Air Canada doesn't even have that. So to each their own but there is much much much more to a Jazz career that pay and per diem... Because it was built and still is a career company for those who chose to stay or those who didn't make the AC cut.
The challenge now is to bring the new hires in line with the old pay and pension.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”