Color blind

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lockingmanman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Color blind

Post by lockingmanman »

How would color blind(Red-green deficiency) affect to get a job as an AME for the airlines such as AC, WJ etc? Is there anyone who just had a medical test for AC and tell me what that color blind test was like?
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Color blind

Post by cdnpilot77 »

The question has been asked many times for pilots. There is the Ichihara test and there is the Farnsworth D-15 exam. If you fail one, ask for the other. Hopefully it's the same for AME

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Colour blindness shouldn't hold you back. If it's too much of a colour deficiency then you may have to look at careers that don't require colour sight. Otherwise, trying to defeat a colour test will land you in trouble. Get an interview first and then worry about your colour blindness.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

The Asian dot test is crap and fails quite a few folks who don't have any real world color vision issues.

Try this one, if you pass you ain't color blind.

http://www.color-blindness.com/color-arrangement-test/

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

The mainliner outfits make you do a medical?

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

Don't sweat it...

I've worked for damn near every major operator in the business and it's never been an issue. I'm a licensed AME-E......I fail both the Ishihara and the Farnsworth every time guaranteed.

Air Canada's medical was the best one........she asked me if I had a color vision problem to which I replied "yes". She then asked me if I could tell the difference between the red, yellow, and green at stoplights, to which I replied "yes". That was the last time it came up, lol.

Juggernaut
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Juggernaut »

I've been an AME for 18 years and I've never heard of colorblindness being an issue for AME's. Worked with a few who were color blind and I or anybody else has never even raised an eyebrow. Now pilots, that's a different story.

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

AME's get medicals? Who knew? The only medical tests I've ever had was the pee in a cup to make sure you aren't on speed or meth. :rolleyes:

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Angusnofangus »

I went back to KF in 1998 and had to have a medical.

booboo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by booboo »

As a former TC inspector, I can assure you that there are medical standards to pass for colour blindness and no medical examinations required under ICAO Annex 1 or the CARs to obtain an AME license. Aircraft wiring is for the most part white and numbered so colour codes are not really much of a problem. If you are asked to pee in a cup or pass a medical exam to obtain employment, it is the company that imposes those requirements, not the regulator.
Regards,

bbc news
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bbc news »

Hi

I am having the same question as well. I did the phone interview with A/C couple weeks ago and it went well. Two days later, the HR called me and want me to go ON for face to face interview ( AME Cat 01) so I flew over for interview, and apparently the managers seemed pretty happy with the interview. Three days later they called me for medical exam in BC so I did it. Everything went ok except colour vision. I failed both plate and the eye machine test ( I could only answer few of them). The nurse told me it is really common for people who have red-green deficiency, but it really makes me nervous. It has been a week already and i haven't heard anything from them yet. Does that mean I failed? Also if I really failed this one can I still attempt next time, and how long do I have to wait?

Return to “Maintenance”