F/A-18E vs F-35: Why is the government still debating?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

F/A-18E vs F-35: Why is the government still debating?

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Canada Plans to Buy F/A-18 Rather Than F-35 for Now: Report

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2016/06/07/canad ... ow-report/

For now? At least we're finally moving in the right direction. F-35 has been an absolute embarrassment for anyone involved.

S.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: F/A-18E vs F-35: Why is the government still debating?

Post by Old fella »

I believe the Trudeau administration is trying to save face with the electorate by punting down the CF-18 replacements to a very later date as they made an election campaign promise not to go near this F-35 and at the same time holding a transparent/open competition(they say) for the final replacements. Personally I think Trudeau is being a bit dishonest in that he should state in no uncertain terms we are not buying the F-35 but going with this "super Hornet" and be done with it. I mean he stated that(noF-35) in the last election past October. It has been documented the F-35 is an extremely expensive project as the AG/PBO proclaimed past few years so why hide any intentions not to buy into the F-35. I think he(JT) will loose points for not being upfront rather than coming out indicating the F-35 is not on for us - end of story. Come 2019 if the non-purchase of the F-35 is an issue well JT risks being tossed from office, however killing the F-35 in my view won't be a defining issue come voting time.

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

To a degree, I think this is an issue with the Canadian defence procurement process, and the Liberals' tacit admission of that. It's probably a giant pain to spin up a proper competition, with at least 4 viable competitor planes that I can think of (F18, F35, Grippen, Mirage), and a few more exotic ones if RCAF ever decides to buy Russian/Indian. So, as a stopgap, they're buying a few that are basically nicer versions of what we have, while whipping DoD into shape about actually supplying a proper mission requirement (one that isn't just a "We'd like the F35, let's compose one that's basically its features' list", as was the case with the F35 under Harper)

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

How much is this going to cost the Canadian taxpayer for canceling the F35? Remember Chretien and the Cormorants? How quickly we forget. And in 4years time when the Liberals are out, the PC will then re-sign deals to purchase the already overpriced Lightening II. Don't get me wrong, I have changed my view from we gotta have this to hmmm, maybe this is another version of the Emperor's New Clothes. We all heard the debate on why we should/should not get the F35. BUT, all the above mentioned replacements for the CF18 and then some are still old technology. The supposed replacement fighters have been in service for years and years already with other air forces. Granted, ours will be a brand new old model but the fact remains...should we really go old new?

My question has always been on any military procurement deal, why does the government, of any nation, not say to whatever branch of it is, here is your budget, buy what you need? Kind of like giving a kid money for their birthday instead of a present. More time and money is wasted by laymen deciding what professionals should have and not what they may actually need.

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

Darkwing Duck wrote:My question has always been on any military procurement deal, why does the government, of any nation, not say to whatever branch of it is, here is your budget, buy what you need?
That's exactly how it happened with the F35 procurement (from my, admittedly, non-insider perspective). The problem with that approach is that defence companies have a very long marketing horizon. They'll hook you with various tactics (ie: technology partnerships, overselling what the product can actually do, wining and dining decision makers, and, in worst cases, bribes), and then, before you know it, your RFP fits only one thing that's around - which may not even be the best option for what you actually need it to do.

Now, there's a different discussion to be had about large government purchases and how (in)efficient they usually are (and this isn't a Canadian-exclusive thing, it happens all over the world), but I'm personally of the opinion that a country's defence needs shouldn't be decided by who buys the generals the most dinners. Which is why there's usually some sort of a checks-and-balances system in proper competitive bids. (Much ink and electricity has been spilled writing about Canadian political elites playing football with defence procurement, I don't particularly want to add (much) more to it)

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Don't forget during the last year of the previous Harper administration, they punted the purchase of the F-35 to a future time, also they themselves were concerned about the cost as shown by AG/PBO and moved this procurement to be under the direction of Public Works and out of DND I believe. This suggests there was some excessive baggage associated with the F-35 from a $$$$$$ prospective.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

The problem is the US can say they want an aircraft capable of doing _______, and due to the number of aircraft they will buy companies will design something for their needs. In Canada we just have to pick from what is already on built and designed for other nations since a Canadian tailored fighter would be too low of a production volume to be viable.

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

Fish4life, if only there was another country that has vast expanses of uninhabited, mostly inhospitable land with sparse availability of airfields, that builds modern planes designed to work in that environment...

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I can't see Canada going with anything single engine, Russian, Chinese or Indian.

Eurofighter, perhaps, or Mirage might work.

Boeing likely would cut a deal to get their Hornet's into our hands. Buy and rejuvenate some old F-15Es.

There are too many good, and proven airframes, that match and exceed our current (and very likely future) mission profile to focus on such a pathetic, and costly one from Lockheed.

S.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mirage might work.
Oh really? That's interesting as all Mirages are single engine.
schnitzel2k3 wrote: There are too many good, and proven airframes, that match and exceed our current (and very likely future) mission profile to focus on such a pathetic, and costly one from Lockheed.

S.
Details on your opinion. What is our future mission profile? What are our future threats? Match missions and threats to specific airframes please.

Going for the deck at corner
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I saw an airplane at an airshow, therefore I know without a doubt its mission capabilities!!
We need that plane to replace our current planes. I have no idea what mission capabilities are, but they look and sound cool!

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I doubt there has been a government of any kind in this country that didn't force the military to mold the statement of requirements to whatever the political agenda was. It's why nothing ever gets done properly or within 30 years of it being necessary. Governments change and so too do the requirements. Too many examples to mention.

I have no problem disqualifying the F-35 for a number of reasons, but sole-sourcing it is just as wrong with Trudeau as it was with Harper. We need a proper selection process to determine what the country's needs are, not the government's.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

PropToFeather wrote:Fish4life, if only there was another country that has vast expanses of uninhabited, mostly inhospitable land with sparse availability of airfields, that builds modern planes designed to work in that environment...
Yes but Putin and us don't get along that great.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If we opt out of the F35 we'd better buy American. The super hornet is better than the not so super but still really cool hornet we have. No brainer. Get out of the run away costed bloated pig, and buy what is proven and scratch America's back in the process. Win win win win win!

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

AuxBatOn wrote:
Oh really? That's interesting as all Mirages are single engine.
He probably meant Dassault, since most of their previous fighters were called Mirage, the model name became confused with the Brand.....

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Not all mirages were single engine

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

They're talking about the Rafale, Dassault proposed to built and maintained the would be canadian version in Canada, good proven twin engine platform....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Yer a little biased my french friend. However, I agree with you, never thought I'd say that. We should have bought the mistral's also. They use fewer crew than our Halifax Class, and they would be in port right now, unlike the Irving cluster fornication

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Well, if history is any indication we always purchased American starting with Bormarc(aka Arrow replacement), F-86, CF-104, CF-101 CF-5, of course we had our own CF-100 Clunk I think it was and of course our very own Arrow...........

Open competition for sure but is the Canadian Government of any stripe really going to spend millions on a European fighter as good as they are. It will be a first, then again I have no knowledge of fighter ops.......

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

What a political decision.
The SH is nearing the last of its production run. Literally, we will be getting the last marks off the line.
The F35 is now starting to fly with numbers in the USAF. There has been at least 1 fighter wing stood up at Hill AFB. Admittedly, these have early computer loads, but they are quickly progressing to formally being combat certified.
The SH flies nicely without weapons hanging off the wings, ie; at the Abbotsford airshow, but hang stores underneath and it quickly becomes a dog. It has short legs, which has caused endless consternation for the USN, as their CVN's are risked nearer to shore......
If one really researches the two planes, the growth and future lies with the F35

Return to “General Comments”