Proper way to log 12 legs a day in a personal logbook?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Turbine dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Proper way to log 12 legs a day in a personal logbook?

Post by Turbine dog »

Hello Av Canada,

I have had many days where I have flown over 10-15 legs.

Right now I am just making one entry for the entire day, and putting the routing in the comments section. I leave route of flight blank because there is not enough room for anything there.

I was just wondering what others do. Is there a proper way of logging multiple legs like this? Will transport accept a logbook for an application that is completed this way?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Proper way to log 12 legs a day in a personal logbook?

Post by photofly »

I don't fly 12 legs a day but sometime three or four and I do just what you do. It sounds very sensible and certainly meets the regulation on keeping a personal log.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

I know few pilots (including me) that had to rewrite those logbook entries because we had like 7 legs into one entry and TC refused to issue the ATPL. Until you get your airline, I wouldn't try any shortcut, just in case.

Personal Logs

401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2) and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(a) experience acquired in respect of the issuance of the flight crew permit, licence or rating; and

(b) recency.

(2) A personal log that is maintained for the purposes referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) shall contain the holder’s name and the following information in respect of each flight:

(a) the date of the flight;

(b) the type of aircraft and its registration mark;

(c) the flight crew position in which the holder acted;

(d) the flight conditions with respect to day, night, VFR and IFR;

(e) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane or helicopter, the place of departure and the place of arrival;

(f) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane, all of the intermediate take-offs and landings;

(g) the flight time;

Last edited by timel on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

He's already recording the routing so he has the departure and arrival information for each leg. 401.08(1) says to record the flight time of each flight, so I guess that's what you have to do. Include the segment time breakdown alongside the route information and you meet the requirement.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Yes, that could work. :mrgreen:

I feel your pain, writting down 15 legs at the end of each day. Some bring their logbook in the flight bag and do it as they go. Myself I leave it at home.

NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NAT2 »

I was doing 12+ legs per day, did a daily log, and had no issues. What would they recommend a jump pilot do? That's just silly.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

The main issue is the cross country hours, they want it clearly identified. When you fly for an air-taxi or a commuter you are obviously not going from A to A, ya know...

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

As long as you communicate what you did in the air into your log, it's all good.

Most I do nowadays is 3-4, if it's airport to airport with a shutdown, I'll make a new line in my electronic log, otherwise I'll just put it on one line.

Ether or

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Having submitted my books a year ago for the A (I know I know, I was slacking) I can tell you that making a single daily entry was accepted, and by far the easiest for me. When flying floats, I had days where there were 15 'legs'... that would wear out books and pens mighty quick!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

You do more than I did. For the route I just put where I left from and where I ended up at the end of the day. I worked for a scheduled service with only a few different pairings so I just listed the name of the pairing in the comments. Didn't have an issue and as far as I know that's how everyone at my old company did it. I now fly a max of 3 legs a day, most days only 1 or 2 so I do a line for every flight.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

I do exactly what you do. Base to base, with each enroute airport in the comments section. Pretty much everyone I know who flies a lot of legs does it this way. Hell, I know airline pilots who put one monthly entry into their books...

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

lazyeight wrote:I do exactly what you do. Base to base, with each enroute airport in the comments section. Pretty much everyone I know who flies a lot of legs does it this way. Hell, I know airline pilots who put one monthly entry into their books...
Exactly, and post ATPL sign-off, no one is going to care.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

timel wrote:I know few pilots (including me) that had to rewrite those logbook entries because we had like 7 legs into one entry and TC refused to issue the ATPL. Until you get your airline, I wouldn't try any shortcut, just in case.

Personal Logs

401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2) and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(a) experience acquired in respect of the issuance of the flight crew permit, licence or rating; and

(b) recency.

(2) A personal log that is maintained for the purposes referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) shall contain the holder’s name and the following information in respect of each flight:

(a) the date of the flight;

(b) the type of aircraft and its registration mark;

(c) the flight crew position in which the holder acted;

(d) the flight conditions with respect to day, night, VFR and IFR;

(e) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane or helicopter, the place of departure and the place of arrival;

(f) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane, all of the intermediate take-offs and landings;

(g) the flight time;
Para (f) would IMO allow you to make one entry per day. The "flight" is your whole day so it would start with the airport (or place) that you took off from the first time and ends with the airport you landed at at the end of the day with the flight time being the cumulative total. Eg 1 Apr 20XX, Pa 31, GXXX, self, CYVR-CYLW-CYXX-CYVR-CYBL-CYXS, 7.8 hrs day VFR

In any case that is the way I have done it for the last 29 years and nobody has complained.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

I wrote down the 6-8 legs a day i.e. YEG-YLL-YMM-YEG-xxx etc etc with one line, total hours, number of T/O and landings and approaches, etc and submitted that for my ATPL application and was approved rather expeditiously... maybe another classic case of Region vs Region?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I don't understand why it's a regulation to maintain a personal log. Currency, training etc is a company issue if you are doing it for a living. I have never been asked to produce a personal log (except when I was upgrading licenses) and after that was done back around 1974 -- my bad :smt040

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

I too do a daily log entry. In the comments section I write out the legs as: CYYZ-CYAM/CYAM-CYQT/CYQT-CYYZ etc. I do it this way so it shows that they are all separate legs and not one big x-country with say CYAM and CYQT at fly over way points. I applied for my A's last year as well and got my log book back within 3 weeks no questions asked. I have heard in the past some have been questioned when they put their legs as: CYYZ-CYAM-CYQT-CYYZ. But take it with a grain of salt, it could all depend on the person who is looking at your book.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

daily for me, sent in for the AAs in november, received the sticker first week of january, no calls or questions from TC

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

valleyboy wrote:I don't understand why it's a regulation to maintain a personal log. Currency, training etc is a company issue if you are doing it for a living. I have never been asked to produce a personal log (except when I was upgrading licenses) and after that was done back around 1974 -- my bad :smt040

Wow, you got some major faith in people you don't even know.

What if the company takes a dump and looses your records somehow? Some POed IT guys goes all format crazy on hard drives, who knows?

As pilots much of our worth is based on our logs, regardless of the law or government or corporation, I keep my personal log up to date, frankly I don't trust ANYONE that far.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

But what do you use your log book for? I have had several jobs but after I was about 25 I was never asked for or produced a log book to get hired and all jobs were direct entry captain on 705 aircraft. It indicates to me that at some point logging time is mute.
What if the company takes a dump and looses your records somehow? Some POed IT guys goes all format crazy on hard drives, who knows?

As pilots much of our worth is based on our logs,

My answer to that is if that happens how can you prove the time in your log book. To find copies of old aircraft logs would be an impossible job.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I had the same long days as you, 12-15 leggers.

Single entry per day, as long as AC reg didn't change, with stopovers in the comments sections and start and end points in the TO and FROM. No issues with TC and my AAs when I submitted my books.

Enjoy those crazy days, as hard as they feel now. Have fun and fly safe.

S.

Return to “General Comments”