Oil filter change

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Oil filter change

Post by tazin river »

Hello again

We change the oil every 25 hours or so in the summer on our C 180 on floats but do we also need to replace the oil filter each time? Can it go for 50 hours instead?

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Oil filter change

Post by ahramin »

Are you asking if it's legal or if it's a good idea. Legal I think so, what does your maintenance manual say?

As far as a good idea, why change 8 l of oil and leave 1 l of dirty oil in the filter? How many hours a month are you flying the aircraft? How long between oil changes? If you are flying every few days and really want to save the $25 on the filter why not just do the oil changes every 50 hours?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

One reason to leave the oil filter in place is because it's quick to dump the oil and refil and you don't need any tools. To change the oil filter you have to remove the cowl, and get the torque wrench and lockwire pliers out. Not a huge deal, but if it doesn't achieve anything then there's no point.

I do remember reading somewhere that spin-on filters should be changed at least every 50 hours. Having said that, I try to change mine with the oil, every 25.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

The oil filter is the first place you will see problems when the engine start to manifest them, i.e. slivers of various types of metal will start to become apparent in the filter mesh. For that reason changing the filter (and cutting it open to see) is a very good precautionary measure. Certainly something you want to do if there are any new symptoms such as plugs fouling abnormally frequently.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Thanks folks

All good points and comments. I asked because I know how to change the oil (quick drain) but I do need to find an AME and bring him to the lake where I parked the plane to replace and secure the oil filter and amazingly enough, it is not always that simple up here. I only fly the plane in the summer and put about 50 hours on the engine! :)

Will either wait to get to 50 hours or simply change everything at 25 hours...

So if flying regularly in the summer, it is ok to wait to reach the 50 hours mark?

Cheers

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

yes, its ok to leave the filter on for 50 hrs.

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nine sixteenths »

Changing the oil and filter are both elementary maintenance tasks on small privately owned aircraft per CARs 625 app A. You do not need an AME to do that for you, you could just have them show you how and do it yourself if you are so inclined.

9/16"

I_Drive_Planes
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by I_Drive_Planes »

nine sixteenths wrote:Changing the oil and filter are both elementary maintenance tasks on small privately owned aircraft per CARs 625 app A. You do not need an AME to do that for you, you could just have them show you how and do it yourself if you are so inclined.

9/16"
This is true, you can find it here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... a-2458.htm
(7) cleaning or changing of fuel, oil, and air filters, on small privately operated aircraft;
(amended 2004/03/01)
I always change my own oil and filter on my airplane. Get your AME to show you how to safety wire it properly.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Awesome folks.

I'll ask him then....I was under the impression that only an AME can safety wire the filter.

Matter solved!

Cheers

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

So in conclusion:

1. You are fine leaving the oil filter on for 50 hours.

2. Ideal would be for you to buy a roll of lockwire and an apprpriate pair of pliers and hire an AME to teach you how to change the filter.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/to ... ey=3013826

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

There was a question in there.
I have read and tend to agree with the spirit of the following
" 8 litres of new oil, mixed with one litre of dirty oil (in the filter you are not changing ) makes 9 litres of dirty oil..
it is a slight exaggeration.... but has some merit. But truthfully you get a lot of new "additives" in the crankcase and rid of a lot of "dirty oil"
I have also read that before 50 hours " most" aircraft engine oil filters are bypassing, so they are no longer acting like filters.
I think changing the oil and filter is cheap, by aircraft standards. use straight wt oil if you want to save money.
i think if you fly a ton, just change the filter at 25 hours or so ,so its not bypassing dirt, leave the oil to 50 hours ,only if the oil consumption is reasonable. If the engine "uses oil" say a litre every 2 hours or so, and turns black fast dont leave it in for 50 hours.
The 26th hour is not magically worse than the 25th. but the 45th hour is probably not as happy as the 24th in a more significant way.
Dont let it sit all winter with 20 hour oil in it because it is not at 25 hours yet, that might be a good time to change it so the acids dont work on it all winter.
sometime after 25 hours ,when i am thinking of adding oil, is a great time to change the oil, and the filter...

Return to “Maintenance”