Late Season Start on Floats

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

mooose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Late Season Start on Floats

Post by mooose »

Greetings,

I'm on track to finish my CPL & 45 hours on floats by mid-July, and am curious if it is worth trying to find a float job for the remainder of the summer. I don't have any leads, and was thinking I could cold call a bunch of places across the country and see if there was a little bit of work to be had. If I ended up getting 100-200 hours over the remainder of the summer I'd be happy, not to mention surprised. I'm currently in Vancouver, so going to BFNW Ontario isn't ideal for only a partial season, but it'd be worth it to get my foot in the door. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
mooose.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Late Season Start on Floats

Post by Rowdy »

It is late in the season and unlikely you would walk into a flying spot regardless of timing. Most likely a dock job, had you been able to catch the start of the season. There are always potentials.. but the pickings are slimmer and slimmer. If going east for a start and couple hundred hours isn't 'ideal'.. I may suggest looking for a different way into the industry.

From personal experience, many operators are leery when it comes to hiring west coasters as we generally don't stick around NWO/MB for long. There is also a huge sense of entitlement from my fellow vancouverites that isn't well tolerated.

I would start cold calling though as you just never know. Be ready to make the 3 day drive or hop on a flight out if they even give you a maybe!

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

If you had even a remote chance at a direct entry float job I would go to BF-anywhere if I were you. GL

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Rowdy wrote:
From personal experience, many operators are leery when it comes to hiring west coasters as we generally don't stick around NWO/MB for long. There is also a huge sense of entitlement from my fellow vancouverites that isn't well tolerated.
This is a pretty common opinion of BC'ers and Vancouverites especially.

It's a bit late to find a float gig, most have been going hard already since the beginning of May.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Rowdy wrote: From personal experience, many operators are leery when it comes to hiring west coasters as we generally don't stick around NWO/MB for long. There is also a huge sense of entitlement from my fellow vancouverites that isn't well tolerated.

I would start cold calling though as you just never know. Be ready to make the 3 day drive or hop on a flight out if they even give you a maybe!
I hated, and still hate that attitude towards us westcoasters. It smacks of jealousy of a living situation that few of us have much control over (I didn't choose to be born where I was, or have any say in where my parents chose to move for their economic advantage.) Further, most of the hometown boys that I've worked with in that area f@cked off to the airlines just as fast as everyone else...

To the original questions..crank up the resume printer, and fire 'em out asap; then get on the phone, and then hit the road for the most promising places. My first gig in NWO was in Pickle - started on the dock there around June 20th, and was cut loose on July 15th..the guy prior to me "wasn't working out" [I don't know why they thought that, cause he seemed to be a pretty decent guy..] so they hired me as a backup. He left, and I was in a seat...

Good luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

North Shore wrote:
Rowdy wrote: From personal experience, many operators are leery when it comes to hiring west coasters as we generally don't stick around NWO/MB for long. There is also a huge sense of entitlement from my fellow vancouverites that isn't well tolerated.

I hated, and still hate that attitude towards us westcoasters. It smacks of jealousy of a living situation that few of us have much control over (I didn't choose to be born where I was, or have any say in where my parents chose to move for their economic advantage.) Further, most of the hometown boys that I've worked with in that area f@cked off to the airlines just as fast as everyone else...

Good luck!
Ain't that the truth.

AustinNave
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AustinNave »

If you had even a remote chance at a direct entry float job I would go to BF-anywhere if we are there for you.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

45 hours of float time?!

Sounds expensive.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I think there's an ad in the Job's area that the OP may be interested in.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”