Float plane takes off Saskatoon airport via truck

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

Float plane takes off Saskatoon airport via truck

Post by Woxof38 »

---------- ADS -----------

meraki6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Float plane takes off Saskatoon airport via truck

Post by meraki6 »

thats cool :)

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Come to Gatineau in the spring. Quite common. Here is a shot I made from the open sun roof of the tow vehicle while a Maule is taken off from the dolly. Scared the crap out of me but it was pretty "sweet" ;)

https://youtu.be/7U7SBGfT2No

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

cgzro wrote:Here is a shot I made from the open sun roof of the tow vehicle while a Maule is taken off from the dolly.
That's very interesting, and it looks like a lot of fun.........but some wit here is going to ask, so it might as well be me: how would this relate to a 747 sitting on a conveyor belt, as wide and long as a runway. The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels, moving in the opposite direction. Can the 747 take off? :D

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Well following through with the physics:

The 747 could potentially explode on take-off due to an overspending tire flying apart and taking out a fuel tank a la Concorde but if the tires could handle 250+ MPH then it may survive the take-off.

The float plane on a dolly towed by a truck would not be so lucky and would sit in one place screaming at full power but pinned against the forward arrester bars of the dolly. Very likely the trailer would actually jack knife at some point due to the push from the plane behind it against the stationary vehicle, This could very well cause the entire vehicle/dolly to turn side ways on the conveyer in which case both the plane and the vehicle would momentarily be airborne at the end of the conveyer.

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”