Attachments
image.png
image.png (150.43 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: PC12 job requirements

Post by wallypilot »

If it's single pilot, then other than the degree, yes it makes total sense to me.
---------- ADS -----------

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Doesn't Wasaya want 2500 hours too for captain? They operate two crew.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

wallypilot wrote:If it's single pilot, then other than the degree, yes it makes total sense to me.

Isn't Life Flight Ornge?

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

lazyeight wrote:
wallypilot wrote:If it's single pilot, then other than the degree, yes it makes total sense to me.

Isn't Life Flight Ornge?
That's their call-sign, this is the company name.
I don't know much about anything, but I'd say it's a safe bet that Ornge isn't starting a base in Oregon. :smt081

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Changes in Latitudes wrote: I don't know much about anything, but I'd say it's a safe bet that Ornge isn't starting a base in Oregon. :smt081
Ornge starting a base on Yellow Gate Lane, it only makes sense.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

About what the requirements for my single pilot PC12 job were.

Minus the degree, most places are learning that having a BS in BS doesn't have Jack to do with Jack, if you're a ATP the degree is just something some HR lady, who probably doesn't know the difference between an elevator and a flap, wanted to toss in there.

lazyeight wrote:Doesn't Wasaya want 2500 hours too for captain? They operate two crew.
Didn't they go bankrupt?

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Did Wasaya go bankrupt? Looking on PCC it seems they are throwing out a giant net in attempt to hire any pilots for any of their aircraft now. Seems kind of deperate to me..sorry for veering off course.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

What do you get in 2,500 hours that you don't in 1,000 hours that magically make you suitable to be the aircraft captain of a light aircraft?

Going for the deck at corner
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Insurance coverage?

In general, I'm pretty sure that I'd want a bunch of experience from my pilots if I were operating SPIFR in the mountains out west...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

North Shore wrote:^ Insurance coverage?

In general, I'm pretty sure that I'd want a bunch of experience from my pilots if I were operating SPIFR in the mountains out west...
How do you equate total time to repevant experience? Would you take someone with 2500 hours in the Prairies or 1000 hours in the mountains?

I know many pilots that do not meet that requirement and would do just fine in a job like this...

Going for the deck at corner
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Mountain experience. Hmmm. It's funny. When I fly published IFR procedures it doesn't matter to me if its in the mountains or not. Just curious why some pilots think it matters?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

atphat wrote:Mountain experience. Hmmm. It's funny. When I fly published IFR procedures it doesn't matter to me if its in the mountains or not. Just curious why some pilots think it matters?
- weather
- consequences if you screw up
- performance calculations become vitally important, depending on the airfield

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

I guess what I meant was.... Sure. If you're a ga guy or a vfr piston pounder then yes, it might make a difference how much you fly in the mountains. If you're a professional 704-705 pilot where you shoot the approach should make no difference. There are specific considerations flying an arrival and approach everywhere in the world. Terrain is just one of them. Should WJ only hire pilots who have WATRS experience?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

AuxBatOn wrote:What do you get in 2,500 hours that you don't in 1,000 hours that magically make you suitable to be the aircraft captain of a light aircraft?
More opportunities to scare yourself? I'm going to go with that.

Or maybe more mentoring from a more experienced pilot but I guess we could go on forever asking at precisely which hour they suddenly got good enough to do so.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

AuxBatOn wrote:What do you get in 2,500 hours that you don't in 1,000 hours that magically make you suitable to be the aircraft captain of a light aircraft?
What do you get in 1,000 hours that you don't get in 500 hours?

I'd go with more experience to draw upon.

SPIFR isn't a place for folks who haven't seen a bit, and for folks without a good amount of PIC time, especially in a 0-60 late, odd hours medevac role.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

atphat wrote:If you're a professional 704-705 pilot where you shoot the approach should make no difference.
It shouldn't, but the chances of making mistakes / screwing up are probably smaller if you have more hours. If you screw up an approach in the prairies and brainfart a left turn with a right turn, you might get a CADORS, but you'll live. If you do that in the mountains, you may not. The more hours you have, the more of these mistakes you've probably already made and can prevent in the future.

Westjet captains might not all have lots of mountain or WATRS experience before they get thired, but I'm pretty sure they all have more than 2500 hours.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I see what you're getting at, and if the system was perfect I'd agree, however I'd say that it's not the hours in total, but the fact that you need a certain number of hours before you even have the opportunity to learn how to captain an aircraft operationally in the first place.

I'd be willing to bet that most people could skipper pretty much anything at far, far less than 1000 hours, but only if you started at hour 1 with doing exactly that (CF!). Plenty of jobs are just time building until you can make the next learning jump. Lots of empty hours in there flying straight and level. I'd say you learn the most in the first few hundred hours of any position then it tapers off.... 10k hours of flight instruction isn't any better than 1k.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

Changes in Latitudes wrote:but I'd say it's a safe bet that Ornge isn't starting a base in Oregon. :smt081

Ah yes, my brain read "ON" when I glanced at it.

Tradewinds in NY and FL have much much lower times for Cpt on the PC12 than this then... if were comparing USA to USA.

lazyeight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lazyeight »

AuxBatOn wrote:
North Shore wrote:^ Insurance coverage?

How do you equate total time to repevant experience? Would you take someone with 2500 hours in the Prairies or 1000 hours in the mountains?

I know many pilots that do not meet that requirement and would do just fine in a job like this...
I'd rather take a pilot flying 1500 hours out in Manitoba or Ontario with winter experience, gravel strips, uncontrolled IFR etc than a pilot flying for a 703 out of say YVR or YYC ILS to ILS with 1000 hours. Flying the same .3 route every day.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”