The divorce thread

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

The divorce thread

Post by KAG »

Since the running joke with flight crew is the divorce rate, just wondering who on here is, or has gone though this.
Any advice to pass along as many on here will be in need of it at some point.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: The divorce thread

Post by ahramin »

If you want to stay married, pick a good one and make your relationship with your spouse a priority. I don't think there's anything particular to aviation. I suspect the majority of divorced couples are happier off divorced.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Except for those monthly payments. I believe that they are taxed differently as well.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

AIDS

Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Suffice to say, my ex finally agreed to sign off on our divorce exactly one week ago today. It was a relief after a 2 year long (expensive!) legal battle!

As a wise "Tim Bit loving" co-worker once recounted...

"You know why divorces cost so damn much? Because they are worth every penny!"

My advice is that if your matter can't be mediated in short order, do not delay or pussy foot around. Seek legal representation and spend the bucks to hire a good lawyer. Fight for what is in your children's best interest (if you have kids) and don't back down. Don't doubt yourself!

To those whom might read this post, finding themselves in a similar position as I once did... Keep your chin up!

All the best,
TPC

PS: A wise mentor once told me that "the best revenge is to be happy". As simple as it may seem it is very true.

Last edited by TeePeeCreeper on Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Love is grand, divorce is a 100....

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

In my older age, am unable to impart any advice on this subject. Been married to the same broad for 37 yrs.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I'm not going to get married again, I think I'll just find a woman that hates me, then buy her a house.

- Willie Nelson ( also attributed to Rod Stewart and others )

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

TeePeeCreeper wrote:Suffice to say, my ex finally agreed to sign off on our divorce exactly one week ago today. It was a relief after a 2 year long (expensive!) legal battle!

As a wise "Tim Bit loving" co-worker once recounted...

"You know why divorces cost so damn much? Because they are worth every penny!"

My advice is that if your matter can't be mediated in short order, do not delay or pussy foot around. Seek legal representation and spend the bucks to hire a good lawyer. Fight for what is in your children's best interest (if you have kids) and don't back down. Don't doubt yourself!

To those whom might read this post, finding themselves in a similar position as I once did... Keep your chin up!

All the best,
TPC

PS: A wise mentor once told me that "the best revenge is to be happy". As simple as it may seem it is very true.
Everything he said. Make that good lawyer a woman... they are better sharks than the men.

Also: A hunting accident is far cheaper. (That's humour for those who might take that seriously)

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

AvCanada might need a bigger server for this thread......

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Haha, if you aren't married yet make sure she makes more than you do and it will make your divorce much cheaper.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

ahramin wrote:If you want to stay married, pick a good one and make your relationship with your spouse a priority. I don't think there's anything particular to aviation. I suspect the majority of divorced couples are happier off divorced.
That ^

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

fish4life wrote:Haha, if you aren't married yet make sure she makes more than you do and it will make your divorce much cheaper.
I have a friend that tried to make his wife happy by working more to buy her things. When the day came around that she left, he was working 60-80 hr weeks. Her Lawyer went after support based on his last years T4, Now he still works 60-80 hrs to buy her things. If your going to divorce, don't take overtime or drafts to lower your income, spend as much time with her as you can, and document it pictures, texts, receipts etc...."your the Good Husband " Lawyers don't like to work for free, the less you have the less they'll take.

I know a guy who got appraisals on everything, and drew up 2 lists equal in assets. He put a bunch of things she wanted in one, and things he wanted in the other. She could pick one list, with the proviso that she would sign off without lawyers. Because, "Do you want to put our Kids through college, or the Lawyers"

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I can add my one and a half pesos to the subject (that's about all I have left):
1) It's cheaper to keep her, and
2) the fucking you had is never as good as the fucking you get!
3) If it floats, flys or fucks....rent it!

Last edited by EPR on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the dirty side down.
bezerker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bezerker »

If you are ready to unplug and see the world for what it really is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

noon_crue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by noon_crue »

My ex was with me for as long as I have been flying/ working in the industry (about 10 years, married for 2) she was all for "follow your dream" until the time came. I left for the summer to work the dock. And she instantly regretted say that. She told me several times that she didn't want to be married to a "part time husband." I threw the idea out there for her to move up north with me the next season. She laughed at that idea. And pretty much made me choose between her or my career..... So after being home for 2 months, and many arguments about this. I now have joined the Navy others affected by A.I.D.S and live in NWO with my dog, doing what I love. Lol

Moral of the story, single or dating is better, and cheaper than getting married

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

After 2 divorces I finally got smart and married another pilot. Been almost 30 years now...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FOD wrote:http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/forei ... rline.html
post number 8

Kudos Berzerker, I swallowed the Married Red Pill and now see it all for what it truly is.
Canadian men, best educate yourselves.

FOD
Even if you don't marry, isn't there that family law that considers that couples living together for 3 years are automatically considered to be common law with the same rights/spousal support consequences as non-married couples?

http://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/c ... -break-up/

So what do you do about that, change partner every 3 years :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

It's sad when a relationship goes FUBAR.

Fucked Up By A Ring.

Return to “General Comments”