PA28 Checkout

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

PA28 Checkout

Post by JungianJugular »

EDIT
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by JungianJugular on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: PA28 Checkout

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

You need a better insurance company. 5 hours is excessive so I would push back. I wanted to add another pilot onto the insurance of my Grumman AA1B and the best quote wanted a 3 hour checkout. I complained to my broker and by the next day the requirement was reduced to 1 hour.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:You need a better insurance company. 5 hours is excessive so I would push back. I wanted to add another pilot onto the insurance of my Grumman AA1B and the best quote wanted a 3 hour checkout. I complained to my broker and by the next day the requirement was reduced to 1 hour.
I think it depends on experience. When I had 180hrs the insurance company required a 3 hour checkout on the PA28. (I'd only flown 3 hours in the previous 12 months). Some pilots with less experience required a 5 hour checkout IIRC, which is probably overkill. I'm not really sure why previous experience would matter at all though...it's much easier to fly than the 172, as long as you remember to switch tanks.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

No one needs a 5 hour checkout in a PA28.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yeah, I have to agree with Big Pistons and Ahramin on this. Basic currency and skills in place, 5 hours should not be needed for a type familiarization in a PA-28. If it ends up that some of that time is spent on review of basic skills and emergencies, that's always good. If it's required to assure currency, I suppose that's okay, but it should be expressed that way. Particularly, if the flying is preceded by an effective review of the POH for the PA-28, and the content sticks in your mind, there is not 5 hours of new things in a PA-28 from other GA types.

Bear in mind that some would have you think there are a lot of "differences" between light GA certified aircraft models. Not really, they were all certified to a common design standard, and a recurring theme in there is "must nor require unusual pilot skill and attention" to achieve the required performance and handling. Yes, some types, like a Lake Amphibian do require some additional skills to be flown well - but not a PA-28.

I'm not advocating just jump in it and go, but rather fly with a skilled pilot, and if they are satisfied with your basic skills, and will recommend you to the insurer, the insurer should be satisfied too. Insurers are pushing in the wrong directions in my opinion. I believe that they should inspire more "familiarization" flying, and more practice ('could be solo) of emergencies, and with that, have more faith in pilot's skills.

More than a decade ago I needed to be covered in my friend's 172 to ferry it. I filled out the application. The insurer phoned me and asked: "of the 3500 hours you have reported flying single engine Cessnas, how many were on a 172?" I replied (unable to conceal my surprise at a silly question) I asked: "Does it matter?". "Well... it could all be in a 150!". I replied: "Anyone with 3500 hours in C 150s can fly a 172 just fine." . With hesitation, she agreed, and that was that. I wish that insurance people were as skilled at their job, as they expect pilots to be at flying!

Aussiecat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aussiecat »

I got checked out on the Cherokee 6-300 a number of years ago to help a friend out, I was sub 200hrs, maybe 4 hrs in a pa-28. And only required 1 hour
to satisfy insurance, interestingly enough the flight instructor/ designated examiner that the insurance recommended to do the check flight, had never flown a cherokee before ............

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

Thanks for the heads up. I thought five hours was excessive too. Getting my buddy, who owns the aircraft, to speak to his broker. This is to get me on for a XC we'd like to do out West.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Does your buddy have a commercial licence or private?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Bear in mind that an "instructor" can be a nice to have, but is not a got to have if the pilot being checked out is at least a PPL. The insurance company should equally well accept an experienced pilot as a mentor. They might want a bit more detail about the mentor pilot's experience, but not being an instructor should not be a show stopper. I've been doing private mentoring and checkouts for decades, and have never been an instructor. It is possible that you could find a very experienced pilot locally, where an instructor with experience on some types would be hard to find. That said, any pilot with 500 hours total time in a variation of types and well current can check out another pilot in a PA-28 - they're not difficult to fly well! Just remember to change fuel tanks!

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Brand new to a commercial twin vfr only requires 4 hours...5 on a simple single is too much.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Over the past 20 odd years we had both myself and my wife listed as PIC on the insurance for our Grumman AA1A. Two years ago I developed arthritis so bad that I could not get in or out of the wee beast and because SWMBO'd at all times had not logged any PIC time in the previous 12 months, the insurance company demanded that she receiver 5 hours dual from an instructor who was current on "make and model". My better half has literally been denied the right to fly based on some tweenie clerks computer decission. She has about 400 hrs on "make and model".

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I was sent a few years ago to ferry a Lake Amphibian from a Toronto area airport, to have an overdue inspection carried out (I had a flight permit). I notified the airport apron office that I would be taking the plane, and provided a letter of permission from the owner. I was insured under the fleet policy of the maintenance shop, for which I had a letter.

Upon arriving at the airport to pick up the plane, the airport manager sought me out, and asked me my qualifications to fly a Lake. I replied: "More than adequate, and here's the letter of permission, and insurance.". No good enough for him, he stated that I would require a checkout before I could take it. Being as I am a person who checks pilots out in Lakes, I was curious.... "Do you have an instructor on your staff experienced in Lakes to check me out?" I asked... The conversation came to a rapid end, as I think he muttered "no", under his breath as he turned away....

I'm all for type training, and mentoring, and I'm proud to demonstrate that I have the experience appropriate to carry out flights I intend. People behind desks at airports, and phones at insurance agencies should be qualified themselves on type, if they wish to challenge my qualifications. Happily, my insurance broker (who is the agent for the aforementioned fleet policy) is very experienced in aviation. It's worth seeking out these experienced people when discussing your insurance needs....

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

You've all given solid advice for a not so experienced CPL student in training. Thanks.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

5 hours is excessive. Regardless if you need a short checkout on the Cherokee, give me a message. Mind you if you're buddy is a commercial pilot, I'm sure he can give you the checkout himself.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

ahramin wrote:No one needs a 5 hour checkout in a PA28.
And that is the kind of Top Gunnery that gets Cherokee Pilots killed. Flying the beast is an exercise in riding the knife edge. When I'm in the air I go by call sign "Flying Nik" because any slip up can result in disaster. The Cherokee is a brutally unforgiving aircraft and truly separates the aviator from the stick puller.

I cross the threshold at 80 MPH! EIGHTY FUCKING MILES PER HOUR! Cars drive on the highway at 60mph, and I safely land back on the ground at 80. You know why I am able to pull off this feat of aviating off? Because I respect the beast.

When I'm turning and burning over southern Ontario with the precious lives of cattle below me, I regularly pull 1.8G. Now, lesser pilots would start to black out at 1.3, 1.4 but not I. When I'm cranking and yanking I know that I have to stay in the zone, lest I turn those benevolent bovines in to barbeque.

Not all pilots are created equal, and not all pilots respect the PA28 the way she deserves. Everynight when I put the plane to bed, I go home and pour myself a glass, as a toast to the cherokee pilots that didn't respect that aircraft. To the ones we've lost. She's like an abused pit bull. Look at her wrong, and she'll bite you.

No one needs a 5 hour check out in a cherokee? Shit. I don't know exactly how long it takes to tame the beast. But I know there's a bunch of kids who are never going to see their mommas who thought they could do it in less than 10.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

:lol:
I regularly pull 1.8G
In the Cherokee, how do ya know? :wink:

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Tongue in cheek BS above!

The Cherokee line is very forging and no bad habits but the insurance industry is now dictating pilots' requirements because TC says you MUsT have insurance. and 80 mph across the threshold..so what! Try 175 Kys in a -104!

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Old Dog Flying wrote: and 80 mph across the threshold..so what! Try 175 Kys in a -104!
Listen Barney, we could all pull our dicks out to see who's is bigger (mine), but the fact remains that when I'm flying it's always life or death.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Hi Niss...do you still have UBC? Like any aircraft, you have to treat it right 'cause even a Cub will kill...but only more slowly!

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Old Dog Flying wrote:Hi Niss...do you still have UBC? Like any aircraft, you have to treat it right 'cause even a Cub will kill...but only more slowly!
I sure do! The ol' gal is in for annual, and later this summer a new audio panel/intercom. Exciting times for the Snowbird Killer!

Return to “General Comments”