Barkley-Grow

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

arrrthur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Barkley-Grow

Post by arrrthur »

Antique Pilot wrote:The Canol Road project is not well known by a lot of folks. I have read that it was a tougher project than building the Alaska Highway in the early to mid 1940's. In May 1974 I was part of a crew flying an Otter out of Ross River YT along the old Canol Road pipeline route to the Godlin Lakes area. We were there for about 10 days flying drilling equipment to a camp. Beautiful wild country. There were still some of the old telegraph poles standing and large bunkhouses in places. I took video with an old
movie camera and have it somewhere.

Sheldon Luck's son is an old acquaintance. Sorry for the thread drift.

AP
That's interesting! I'll see if I can get a photo of the billboard on Highway 16 one of these days, in case someone on here can offer a guess as to who it's supposed to represent. I emailed the Fort St. James Chamber of Commerce about it but haven't heard back.

Any idea of the origin of the name of Sheldon Lake near Ross River?

There are at least two photos I've come across on line showing CF-BTX at Sheldon Lake. Could well have been taken during the Canol survey flights.

Couple of photos I took in the 2000s: one at YVR and one at YXY. Interesting that an aircraft that was hardly even commercially produced has embedded itself in the culture of various parts of western Canada.
Art
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
small-100_5528.jpg
small-100_5528.jpg (81.87 KiB) Viewed 16523 times
small-100_2971.jpg
small-100_2971.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 16523 times
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

arrrthur wrote:
Antique Pilot wrote:The Canol Road project is not well known by a lot of folks. I have read that it was a tougher project than building the Alaska Highway in the early to mid 1940's. In May 1974 I was part of a crew flying an Otter out of Ross River YT along the old Canol Road pipeline route to the Godlin Lakes area. We were there for about 10 days flying drilling equipment to a camp. Beautiful wild country. There were still some of the old telegraph poles standing and large bunkhouses in places. I took video with an old
movie camera and have it somewhere.

Sheldon Luck's son is an old acquaintance. Sorry for the thread drift.

AP
That's interesting! I'll see if I can get a photo of the billboard on Highway 16 one of these days, in case someone on here can offer a guess as to who it's supposed to represent. I emailed the Fort St. James Chamber of Commerce about it but haven't heard back.

Any idea of the origin of the name of Sheldon Lake near Ross River?

There are at least two photos I've come across on line showing CF-BTX at Sheldon Lake. Could well have been taken during the Canol survey flights.

Couple of photos I took in the 2000s: one at YVR and one at YXY. Interesting that an aircraft that was hardly even commercially produced has embedded itself in the culture of various parts of western Canada.
Art
I wondered about the origin of the name as well. Don't know. However isn't it usually the last name of a deceased person given to an unnamed lake?

AP

arrrthur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arrrthur »

arrrthur wrote:I wondered about the origin of the name as well. Don't know. However isn't it usually the last name of a deceased person given to an unnamed lake?

AP
It appears that Sheldon Lake was named after U.S. "sportsman and amateur naturalist" Charles Alexander Sheldon, with the name becoming official March 18, 1909.

http://hougengroup.com/yukon-history/yu ... mal-names/

There are exceptions to the last name rule all over the place - for example there's a Mount Clerk east of Kinbasket Lake BC named for Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell.

Photo: Sheldon Lake, Sheldon Mountain and CF-BTX.
Art

Attachments
BTX at Sheldon Lake #2.jpg
BTX at Sheldon Lake #2.jpg (450.44 KiB) Viewed 16465 times
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

arrrthur wrote:
arrrthur wrote:I wondered about the origin of the name as well. Don't know. However isn't it usually the last name of a deceased person given to an unnamed lake?

AP
It appears that Sheldon Lake was named after U.S. "sportsman and amateur naturalist" Charles Alexander Sheldon, with the name becoming official March 18, 1909.

http://hougengroup.com/yukon-history/yu ... mal-names/

There are exceptions to the last name rule all over the place - for example there's a Mount Clerk east of Kinbasket Lake BC named for Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell.

Photo: Sheldon Lake, Sheldon Mountain and CF-BTX.
Art
Thanks for that, beautiful classy photo.

AP

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Wow, GREAT pic

arrrthur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arrrthur »

Just did an online check - it appears that the Canol reconnaissance flight photos were released at some point from the Finnie family photo collection at the Yukon Archives and have appeared in various places on the web since then. The Yukon Archives caption list indicates they are all of CF-BTX and are part of a much larger set of photos that Richard Finnie took before,during and after the initial reconnaissance flight from Norman Wells to Whitehorse. The pilot was Bud Potter. Most of the photos probably haven't been released. The caption list made for a good Canol story in itself when I looked through it. http://www.tc.gov.yk.ca/archives/findin ... _81_21.pdf - scroll down to Folder 1.
Art

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

arrrthur wrote:Just did an online check - it appears that the Canol reconnaissance flight photos were released at some point from the Finnie family photo collection at the Yukon Archives and have appeared in various places on the web since then. The Yukon Archives caption list indicates they are all of CF-BTX and are part of a much larger set of photos that Richard Finnie took before,during and after the initial reconnaissance flight from Norman Wells to Whitehorse. The pilot was Bud Potter. Most of the photos probably haven't been released. The caption list made for a good Canol story in itself when I looked through it. http://www.tc.gov.yk.ca/archives/findin ... _81_21.pdf - scroll down to Folder 1.
Art
Thanks for the link. Great stuff.

AP

900 HP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 900 HP »

Very interesting plane. I flew with a guy named Ghislain Arsenault (Chief Pilot). He did not speak any English so our conversations were non-existent but he had a picture of a Barkley Grow that he had flown (likely in Quebec). It was funny because it had a bill board for Belvedere cigarettes on it. The memory is old so perhaps it was an airline :wink:

arrrthur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arrrthur »

900 HP wrote:Very interesting plane. I flew with a guy named Ghislain Arsenault (Chief Pilot). He did not speak any English so our conversations were non-existent but he had a picture of a Barkley Grow that he had flown (likely in Quebec). It was funny because it had a bill board for Belvedere cigarettes on it. The memory is old so perhaps it was an airline :wink:
There might be a photo of that aircraft on this forum. I know I saw one somewhere recently. I thought the Belvedere name painted on it looked more like it referred to some small air services company.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

arrrthur wrote:
900 HP wrote:Very interesting plane. I flew with a guy named Ghislain Arsenault (Chief Pilot). He did not speak any English so our conversations were non-existent but he had a picture of a Barkley Grow that he had flown (likely in Quebec). It was funny because it had a bill board for Belvedere cigarettes on it. The memory is old so perhaps it was an airline :wink:
There might be a photo of that aircraft on this forum. I know I saw one somewhere recently. I thought the Belvedere name painted on it looked more like it referred to some small air services company.
The Belvedere Cigarette Company sponsored Barkley Grow CF-BQM for the Burlington Ontario Seaplane Race held in Sept 1973. Part of the city's centennial celebration perhaps.

AP

arrrthur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arrrthur »

As posted by Canuck_Plumber back in 2014:

Attachments
BQM_Belvedere.jpg
BQM_Belvedere.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 16182 times
900 HP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 900 HP »

Awesome thanks for the update. I've never seen one in person. Are there any in museums?

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Ghislain Arsenault - nickname Castor - was probably working for Air Gava in Schefferville at the time. That company was owned by Albert Fortier, and they leased a Barkley Grow for a summer, must have been mid to late 1970's. I had forgotten the registration.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

900 HP wrote:Awesome thanks for the update. I've never seen one in person. Are there any in museums?
Yes, mentioned in other posts here. BQM is at the Calgary Aerospace Museum. It was ferried to Chestemere Lake just east of Calgary from Eastern Canada in 1979.

BLV is at the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton.

AP

beechnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beechnut »

Barclay Grow CF-BMW  Tom Laurie pilot 001.jpg
Barclay Grow CF-BMW Tom Laurie pilot 001.jpg (306.29 KiB) Viewed 15942 times
Barclay Grow CF-BMW  Tom Laurie pilot 001.jpg
Barclay Grow CF-BMW Tom Laurie pilot 001.jpg (306.29 KiB) Viewed 15942 times
Barclay Grow CF-BMW  Tom Laurie pilot 002.jpg
Barclay Grow CF-BMW Tom Laurie pilot 002.jpg (339.54 KiB) Viewed 15942 times

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Great old pics of BMW. Do you have any info on the pics other than the pilot Tom Laurie?

BMW was written off while landing on skis at Bigstone Lake MB on March 12, 1965. On short final the left hand flap popped up. The aircraft rolled to the left and struck the ice in a left wing low nose down attitude. Pilot Howard Hawley was seriously injured.

Useable parts and pieces were recovered and taken to Northland's base at Netley MB.

AP

beechnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by beechnut »

AP all I know about the photos is they were taken at Alice Lake on Vancouver Island in the 40's

Attachments
The picture was taken at Zebellos BC late1940's
The picture was taken at Zebellos BC late1940's
CF-BMG 001.jpg (153.69 KiB) Viewed 15871 times
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Thanks for another great photo.

AP

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

August 06, 2016

Barkley Grow CF-BMG.
Photo taken at the Edmonton Airport.
Year not known.

Found on the internet.
Photographer unknown.

Canuck_Plumber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canuck_Plumber »

Hey all,

It's been a while since I passed by this way. Great to see the new photos posted here.

I thought I would do the same as well.

The first photo is of the founders of the Barkley Grow Aircraft Corp. Archie Barkley far right and Commander Harold Grow standing on his right. I've yet to learn who the other two gentlemen are.

ImageButts family (1 of 1) by jaeson cardiff, on Flickr

The next pic is of CF-BVE as it sits in the Reynolds Museum collection. This is the first prototype built by the company in 1937.

ImageReynolds (1 of 1)-8 by jaeson cardiff, on Flickr

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”