West coast pics

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Message
Author
CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

West coast pics

#1 Post by CpnCrunch » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:31 pm

I've been meaning to post some of these for a while, and now seems to be a good time to remember what summer is like. All taken on a Galaxy Note GT-N7000 and scaled down when uploading to be a reasonable size.

Nanaimo Harbour:

Image

Active Pass:

Image

Crossing the strait of Georgia:

Image

Port Alberni:

Image

Strait of Georgia covered in low cloud/fog:

Image

Texada Gillies Bay:

Image

Somewhere in the Gulf Islands, perhaps Lasqueti:

Image

Barclay Sound:

Image

Long Beach, Tofino:

Image
---------- ADS -----------

delta1
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: West coast pics

#2 Post by delta1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing!
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am
Location: Freezer.

Re: West coast pics

#3 Post by Pop n Fresh » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:29 am

I meant to post thank you also. So thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Sidney, BC
Contact:

Re: West coast pics

#4 Post by AirFrame » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Mount Robie Reid, just northeast of Maple Ridge, BC.
IMG_20141214_144913_2.jpg
Mt. Robie Reid
IMG_20141214_144913_2.jpg (425.42 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: West coast pics

#5 Post by single_swine_herder » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 am

Funny how things stick with you .... its been over 3 decades since I flew over Active Pass in a Beaver, but I recognized it instantly.

It was rare to fly over the pass at the altitude of the picture though ....... all too often, especially in winter .... it was flying at 50 feet off the water in a 1/4 mile vis in fog & drizzle, rounding the corner and finding two ferries side by side in the pass with a Twin Otter also at 50 feet coming the other way on the other side in a tie for space with the ships ....... and everybody thinking it was just great VFR weather.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: West coast pics

#6 Post by CpnCrunch » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:56 am

single_swine_herder wrote:Funny how things stick with you .... its been over 3 decades since I flew over Active Pass in a Beaver, but I recognized it instantly.

It was rare to fly over the pass at the altitude of the picture though ....... all too often, especially in winter .... it was flying at 50 feet off the water in a 1/4 mile vis in fog & drizzle, rounding the corner and finding two ferries side by side in the pass with a Twin Otter also at 50 feet coming the other way on the other side in a tie for space with the ships ....... and everybody thinking it was just great VFR weather.
All of those pics are from summer. We seem to have two seasons here...unbroken sunshine in summer, unbroken lowish cloud and drizzle in winter, with a little bit of variation in the spring and autumn. In winter I just do occasional flying on the odd nice day.

Anyway, I think things might have changed since you flew here...now Harbour Air seems to actually cancel their flights if the weather is silly. However you do sometimes see the private/charter operators flying in conditions like you mention. Once in a while they don't get away with it, and we read about it the accidents thread here.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: West coast pics

#7 Post by CpnCrunch » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:59 am

AirFrame wrote:Mount Robie Reid, just northeast of Maple Ridge, BC.
Great pic, thanks. I'll have to go out that way next summer.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am
Location: Toilet, Onterible

Re: West coast pics

#8 Post by FenderManDan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:03 am

Amazing views, I ask myself often what I am doing in Ontario. Perhaps, I am just too used to Southern Ontario farms or forests of the Northern Not, but can't find a single interesting photo.

Thanks for sharing
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: in the bush

Re: West coast pics

#9 Post by TeePeeCreeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:05 pm

.
---------- ADS -----------
Last edited by TeePeeCreeper on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:17 pm
Location: YQT
Contact:

Re: West coast pics

#10 Post by Taiser » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Awesome photos!!! WOW!
---------- ADS -----------

16SidedOffice
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Re: West coast pics

#11 Post by 16SidedOffice » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Great photos! Thanks so much for sharing them!
---------- ADS -----------

CRS Oakville
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: West coast pics

#12 Post by CRS Oakville » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:16 am

Incredible view. How not to take a picture? That someone told me that the view is like this, I would beliave him.
---------- ADS -----------

ewhitten
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:46 am

Re: West coast pics

#13 Post by ewhitten » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:00 pm

These photos are gorgeous, I didn't feel dizzy looking down at all.
---------- ADS -----------

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: West coast pics

#14 Post by doan_1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:29 am

I grew went to elementary on Galiano, Highschool in Ucluelet, and live in Victoria. My one non-training related X-Country flight was YYJ to YAZ, my victory lap after gaining my PPL. I love living in this area and really want to work around here with my CPL one day. Thanks for sharing!
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: West coast pics

#15 Post by CpnCrunch » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:01 pm

doan_1 wrote:I grew went to elementary on Galiano, Highschool in Ucluelet, and live in Victoria. My one non-training related X-Country flight was YYJ to YAZ, my victory lap after gaining my PPL. I love living in this area and really want to work around here with my CPL one day. Thanks for sharing!
I just got back from another flight to YAZ today (I'll post some more pics soon). Yes, it's an amazing place to fly when the fog and low cloud has lifted! Right now the restaurant there is closed indefinitely, which is a shame. There's a couple of scheduled services from YVR, so if you finish your CPL you could end up flying there.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7485
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: The Misty Mountains...

Re: West coast pics

#16 Post by iflyforpie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:35 am

I've got to make it out there sometime. The last time I was in YAZ, it was getting an airplane to haul back (it seems like every plane I get is from the Island. :rolleyes: )

I went to Port Hardy for my 300NM cross country via Nanaimo and Courtney, but never made it out to Tiffy. The beach at Vargas is definitely on the bucket list.

Photos are all in shoeboxes... it was the twilight of my 35mm days (bought my first digi cam that fall).
---------- ADS -----------
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: West coast pics

#17 Post by doan_1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:01 pm

CpnCrunch wrote:
doan_1 wrote:I grew went to elementary on Galiano, Highschool in Ucluelet, and live in Victoria. My one non-training related X-Country flight was YYJ to YAZ, my victory lap after gaining my PPL. I love living in this area and really want to work around here with my CPL one day. Thanks for sharing!
I just got back from another flight to YAZ today (I'll post some more pics soon). Yes, it's an amazing place to fly when the fog and low cloud has lifted! Right now the restaurant there is closed indefinitely, which is a shame. There's a couple of scheduled services from YVR, so if you finish your CPL you could end up flying there.

If I could fly out around there for a living I would be happy as a clam. Tofino Air, Wild West Coast Adventures, or something like that. On the bad days I'd just grab an old high school chum and go fishing on Kennedy.
---------- ADS -----------

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: West coast pics

#18 Post by doan_1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:53 pm

I hope I'm not stealing the thread, but wanted to share mine from the victory lap flight. I was going to post the photos, but they were not uploading. Here is a google drive link instead. Little brother doesn't like flying, and 4th last pic is a photo of the house (sort of) that I grew up in. Just on the bottom edge of the clearing above the wheel, though the clearing wasn't that big when I was there.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: West coast pics

#19 Post by CpnCrunch » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:03 pm

doan_1 wrote:I hope I'm not stealing the thread, but wanted to share mine from the victory lap flight. I was going to post the photos, but they were not uploading. Here is a google drive link instead. Little brother doesn't like flying, and 4th last pic is a photo of the house (sort of) that I grew up in. Just on the bottom edge of the clearing above the wheel, though the clearing wasn't that big when I was there.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Feel free to post your photos here. I just tried posting links to your images, but it doesn't seem to be possible. It looks like google drive doesn't have any way of directly linking to the image.

Really good pics. What kind of camera is that?
---------- ADS -----------

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: West coast pics

#20 Post by doan_1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:44 pm

It was just taken with my HTC One M7 phone. Only 4MP cam, but it did much better than I thought it would. Once I finish paying for my CPL I'll invest in a real DSLR.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: West coast pics

#21 Post by makmoco » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:33 am

Amazing! :shock:
---------- ADS -----------

meraki6
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: West coast pics

#22 Post by meraki6 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:00 am

AMAZING!! :D
---------- ADS -----------

AirDoan
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: West coast pics

#23 Post by AirDoan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Here are some pics I snapped with my phone around Victoria. It was my first time touring the area and was a little busy as the airspace was busy, but managed to get a couple!
Image Image ImageImage
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: West coast pics

#24 Post by CpnCrunch » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:47 am

AirDoan wrote:Here are some pics I snapped with my phone around Victoria. It was my first time touring the area and was a little busy as the airspace was busy, but managed to get a couple!
Image Image ImageImage
It seems to require permission to view these (try opening in a chrome incognito window and you'll see).

Does google drive have the option to make them public? If not, try something like imgur.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2595
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: West coast pics

#25 Post by CpnCrunch » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Active Pass:

Image
---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”