New here, flying in Nahanni National Park.

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Redsoxfan1001
Rank 0
Rank 0

New here, flying in Nahanni National Park.

Post by Redsoxfan1001 »

Hey guys and thanks for having me. So my girl friend and I just got done working a season in Yellowstone back in the states and are doing an Alaska trip. Nahanni has been on our radar with me stupidly thinking we could access it through the old tungsten mining road from the west. Now I'm near Edmonton looking at charter flights costing near 1,000 which would account for 1/3 of our alloted cash! We're 23 and 24 and trying to experience as much as we can. If this is just the usual going rate then it looks like we will have to skip Nahanni :( We're just seeing if there's a cheaper flight option (wanted to do the Virginia falls area) instead of flying through the guys who pop on Google. Well thanks guys and hope to hear back from some of ya!
---------- ADS -----------

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New here, flying in Nahanni National Park.

Post by Tanker299 »

……

Last edited by Tanker299 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Redsoxfan1001 wrote:Hey guys and thanks for having me. So my girl friend and I just got done working a season in Yellowstone back in the states and are doing an Alaska trip. Nahanni has been on our radar with me stupidly thinking we could access it through the old tungsten mining road from the west. Now I'm near Edmonton looking at charter flights costing near 1,000 which would account for 1/3 of our alloted cash! We're 23 and 24 and trying to experience as much as we can. If this is just the usual going rate then it looks like we will have to skip Nahanni :( We're just seeing if there's a cheaper flight option (wanted to do the Virginia falls area) instead of flying through the guys who pop on Google. Well thanks guys and hope to hear back from some of ya!
Call Northern Rockies Air Charter in Watson Lake, YT. One way distance from Watson to Virginia Falls is 150 sm I seem to recall. The last time I went to Virginia Falls I had to get a slot time from the Parks Office in Ft Simpson. I was allowed a 3 hour window to land, hike down below the falls, hike back up and leave. All worth it of course.

AP

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

……

Last edited by Tanker299 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

Your best bet is to get to Fort Simpson and check out Simpson Air. They do charter day tours regularly and will do their best to get you on a tour with another couple or two to bring down the cost for everyone. Still won't be cheap, but when you consider you're getting guided flight seeing and a hike to Virginia Falls, it's actually very reasonable for 6-8 hours in a very remote wilderness.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

August 16, 2003 at the water drome on the South Nahanni River just above Virginia Falls. Shown are a C-206, C-208, C-180. Behind the 180 is a Beaver. The 180 and Beaver are tied to some stout willows on the river bank.

AP

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (146.39 KiB) Viewed 3354 times

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”