VFR Placement Question

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: VFR Placement Question

Post by JVader »

Im currently in the YEG vfr basic class and it seems the general consensus for the course is 2 yyc, 2 yzf, and 2 ymm. This is the first time they've run a class with 6 students due to the YYC shortage. Its seems the common theme with the students in my course is that it doesn't matter where they place you, everyone just wants a position within the company. After your initial posting you can bid anywhere in the country. Im hoping to go to YZF for a nice change of scenery to be honest...good luck!
---------- ADS -----------

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

I'm curious to know how they decide who goes where. Is it simply random? Is it based on skill or ability? Do they take personal preferences into account?

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

JVader wrote:Im currently in the YEG vfr basic class and it seems the general consensus for the course is 2 yyc, 2 yzf, and 2 ymm. This is the first time they've run a class with 6 students due to the YYC shortage. Its seems the common theme with the students in my course is that it doesn't matter where they place you, everyone just wants a position within the company. After your initial posting you can bid anywhere in the country. Im hoping to go to YZF for a nice change of scenery to be honest...good luck!

thanks for the great info! congrats on your entrance! best o' luck with your future training

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Duplicate post

Last edited by RexKrammer on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

outflying8 wrote: for sure, i completely understand that....have you been posted up there? any insight? pointers?
No, I'm in the YYZ FIR, but I do know a number of folk who currently do, and have worked at Whitehorse and they loved it. Sure, it's a different lifestyle to being in Edmonton say, but all of them say it is a fantastic experience up there.

Like others have said, there are many positives to a posting like CYXY or CYMM. But once you have your license for three years you can bid to any other unit that has a vacancy. Those three years will fly by.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

... Deleting multiple post...

Last edited by RexKrammer on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Last edited by RexKrammer on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Last edited by RexKrammer on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

RexKrammer wrote:
outflying8 wrote: for sure, i completely understand that....have you been posted up there? any insight? pointers?
No, I'm in the YYZ FIR, but I do know a number of folk who currently do, and have worked at Whitehorse and they loved it. Sure, it's a different lifestyle to being in Edmonton say, but all of them say it is a fantastic experience up there.

Like others have said, there are many positives to a posting like CYXY or CYMM. But once you have your license for three years you can bid to any other unit that has a vacancy. Those three years will fly by.

Thanks for the positive response! My wife and I have decided to be completely positive about it and view it as an adventure! in some ways almost hoping for that now haha :)

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

outflying8 wrote:
RexKrammer wrote:

Thanks for the positive response! My wife and I have decided to be completely positive about it and view it as an adventure! in some ways almost hoping for that now haha :)
Now that's a good attitude!!! Good luck!

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Braun wrote:
outflying8 wrote:
RexKrammer wrote:

Now that's a good attitude!!! Good luck!

Thanks Braun!

chobs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chobs »

rspencer38 wrote:I'm curious to know how they decide who goes where. Is it simply random? Is it based on skill or ability? Do they take personal preferences into account?
I'm sure it might be different for each region and decision, but I know in my case for placement, yes, skill/ability was considered and they put us where they thought there was best chance for success. Hard to say how much personal preferences are taken into account, but ultimately I think operational need and chance of success will be the main factors.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”