Prop governor

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Prop governor

Post by tazin river »

Hello again

How big and expensive a job is it to overhaul the Prop governor on Cessna 180 (O-470)?

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Prop governor

Post by photofly »

I had mine (IO-470F) cleaned, tested and IRAN'd two years ago (not overhauled, be careful what you ask for) and it was about 60 seconds to remove, 120 seconds to replace and it was a small number of hundreds of dollars, including a new gasket (which itself is over $100 if I remember right) for the work. It had enough lead deposits in it to clad a small roof.

The only gotcha was that the repair place positioned and lock wired the sealing ring thing so that the bolt fouled on the engine block and I had to take it back and get them to rotate and re-seal it. Mark the position of everything on the outside of the case before you take it in, to be sure.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Would there be a specific model number for a Cessna 180 H powered by a O-470R? I can only find the serial number for that prop governor in the engine logbook...

Tazin

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I'm sorry, I don't understand that question. Specific model number of governor?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Sorry!

I inquired about getting a used replacement from Skywagon City Inc. in case I night need to get mine overhauled or replaced. The question that came back to me was ...What model of prop governor you need?...hence my question...

Not much of a mechanic as you can see...

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Just curious... what leads you to think your prop governor need attention?

hangarline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hangarline »

This is a question you should be asking a component overhaul facility, not a forum.

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

The applicable models of prop governors are listed on the type certificate data sheet for your aircraft. If you want one for a good price and don't want any downtime, call Southwest Aero out of Washington. They can likely build you one up and send it to you, then you can send your core down. The one guy is ESL and a bit hard to understand, but they've always been good to me.

Return to “Maintenance”