SID, STARS and waypoint names

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

JonYTS
Rank 1
Rank 1

SID, STARS and waypoint names

Post by JonYTS »

How do new names of SIDS, STAR and waypoints come from? Recently, the North Bay CYYB1 departure was changed to the North Bay CYYB2 departure.

I know the Timmins airport approach plate used to use BUDAR as one of the waypoints for the BackCourse ILS approach, when it used to exist, and now there's the MAWDS fix, which honors their long-time serving FSS operators.

Is it just to recycle names to make them more current?
---------- ADS -----------

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: SID, STARS and waypoint names

Post by RexKrammer »

There is a database of all 5-letter waypoints in use around the world, along with unused ones that can be selected when a new one is required. They used to be selected in conjunction with a local geographic feature or person, but now that trend is subsiding in favour of a semi-random name generated to ensure there are no similar sounding waypoints in a fairly close vicinity.

There was a project several years ago to ensure that no two waypoints around the world had the same name, thus causing many to be changed. This was due to some errors in the FMS of long haul commercial planes turning in the wrong direction because it thought XXXXX was a right turn towards Hong Kong instead of a left turn to Paris (for examples sake)

When a SID or STAR has some change to it's procedure, for example a new waypoint added or removed, then the number will increase up to 9. Any changes after that and the number recycles back down to 1 again.

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

RexKrammer wrote:...a semi-random name generated to ensure there are no similar sounding waypoints in a fairly close vicinity.
Start with a blank sheet and still come up with these:
VERDO-VERKO, TULEK-TULEG, AVSEP-KISEP just off the top of my head.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I understood the goal was to avoid similar sounding waypoints in the same geographical area. The pilots should notice a "left turn for Paris" - I mean they need to do something to earn those big wide body bucks, right? Particularly if the waypoint leads to a nearby approach but when reviewing the planned legs one of them is 4235nm long, it should be obvious...?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

"Should" notice the left turn, yes. But there were some instances where the auto-pilot started the turn in the wrong direction when they were given a short-cut to some waypoint further down the flight plan route before the pilots intervened..
cossack wrote: Start with a blank sheet and still come up with these:
VERDO-VERKO, TULEK-TULEG, AVSEP-KISEP just off the top of my head.
Fair point. But I still understand the idea is to avoid similar sounding waypoints close together. I certainly know of some points that have been changed. Obviously that isn't always the case. Maybe if these were reported to whomever it is responsible for their naming they'd get amended.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”