Etiquette with gift to OJI upon checkout

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Civet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Etiquette with gift to OJI upon checkout

Post by Civet »

Wish I had found this forum during the recruitment process and training. What a wealth of information!

To my question - as the title states - I am curious what the standard is for this. I have a had a great relationship with my OJI throughout training, he was a fundamental part of my success. The continual time, patience, and in depth explanations of scenarios made it clear early on that the goal was to ensure I had every chance to check out. This is something I will be grateful for my whole career. I would like to give him a great gift to express my gratitude, but not so much as to be inappropriate. If anyone can offer insight to the realm $ wise I should be aiming for, I would appreciate that.
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Etiquette with gift to OJI upon checkout

Post by cdnpilot77 »

In the past, I have given a nice bottle or 2 of wine (Amarone or Brunello)or a bottle of his/her spirit of choice or a gift card to a nice restaurant. Appreciation doesn't need to be over the top, just expressed.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

I agree. The sentiment is the important thing. Find out his favourite tipple or restaurant. A decent bottle of scotch or some nice wine are good examples. If they don't drink, a gift card to somewhere like The Keg is oft appreciated.

Lloyd YWG FIC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lloyd YWG FIC »

No gift required or expected. Shake his/her hand and remember how good of an OJI he/she was when you get your turn to be an OJI.

Lloyd YWG FIC (retired)

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

I agree totally with Lloyd! An OJI is paid to train a new controller and a "Thank you for all of your help" is all that is expected.

BD YMJ, ZBB and a whole lot more.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Okay, I have to ask... What does OJI stand for?

Lloyd YWG FIC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lloyd YWG FIC »

On Job Instructor. Both FSS and ATC have OJIs for the on the job training portion of qualification.

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

I spent a lot of money at my checkout party. If my OJI wanted a gift he should have drank less that night :lol:

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Lloyd YWG FIC wrote:On Job Instructor.
Thanks. I knew it would be something simple like that. :)

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

There are tons of jobs where "no gift is expected or required". Still a great sentiment to do so and I'm sure will be appreciated by the recipient.

Lloyd YWG FIC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lloyd YWG FIC »

DanJ wrote:There are tons of jobs where "no gift is expected or required". Still a great sentiment to do so and I'm sure will be appreciated by the recipient.
Must be an ATC thing then because I ain't seen gifts to OJIs in any FSS unit I've worked at over my 35.5 years. Never. Maybe it's different in the last year since I retired but I doubt it.

BTW, if one is going to quote someone, the quote should be accurate.

DanJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DanJ »

Lloyd YWG FIC wrote:
BTW, if one is going to quote someone, the quote should be accurate.
Really? Because flipping the order of required and expected matters? If you never got a gift, maybe you displayed the same attitude at work as you do in this thread. Just because you never got a gift doesn't mean the OP shouldn't offer one. Sorry you are so miserable in retirement.

Lloyd YWG FIC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lloyd YWG FIC »

What can I say, correctness and accuracy always matters. One of the things I always tried to point out to my trainees. You make an error, you raise your hand like a big boy, own up to it, learn from it, and try not to do it again.

As for gifts, the OP seems to think there is a "standard" for giving a gift to an OJI. Being an OJI is voluntary and the company compensates us well to do the job. A trainee owes the OJI nothing. If an OJI feels he/she should be 'tipped' for doing their job, they ought to work at The Keg. But like I said, maybe the ATC world is different.

BTW, OJIs was plural, I guess you missed that. And you err again, I am ecstatic being retired.

Have a nice day. Keep alert, watch for other aircraft.

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

Must be the Brit in me, but I wouldn't give or expect a gift either as a trainee or as an OJI. We do have a different "tip" culture over there anyway.

Nothing "miserable" about it, NAV Canada compensates OJIs above their regular pay (ie you receive a premium), therefore it is their JOB to train to the best of their ability and knowledge. Why would you expect "more" for doing your job? A "thankyou" is more than enough.

BTW Some trainees are destined to check out no matter who their OJI is, so should the OJI buy them something nice for making them look good?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

I haven't seen anyone in ATC give their OJI a gift other than a beer eventually or a coffee. I wouldn't want/expect it as an OJI. The country is big and it may be different elsewhere.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

For me I felt it was the nice thing to do to get my OJI a bottle of a drink they like as a token of my gratitude for their help and coaching. They said it was totally not necessary, but appreciated the sentiment.
However, there were a few other controllers at the unit that demanded a check out party, and insisted that I pay for them to get drunk. It seems that idea is more common than an actual gift to the OJI. Personally I still think a gift to my OJI is more appropriate.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

RexKrammer wrote:For me I felt it was the nice thing to do to get my OJI a bottle of a drink they like as a token of my gratitude for their help and coaching. They said it was totally not necessary, but appreciated the sentiment.
However, there were a few other controllers at the unit that demanded a check out party, and insisted that I pay for them to get drunk. It seems that idea is more common than an actual gift to the OJI. Personally I still think a gift to my OJI is more appropriate.
The beer call is in MATS...look it up. :lol: I really enjoy the beer call idea, mostly because it reunites people a few times a year and is usually a really good time.

Lloyd YWG FIC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lloyd YWG FIC »

Braun wrote: mostly because it reunites people a few times a year and is usually a really good time.
I wonder if that is a big difference between FSS and ATC. FSS are smaller units generally in smaller communities. Back in the pre-historic days, we worked and socialized with our co-workers a lot.

Also, given that back then we were paid almost from day one with all expenses in TCTI covered (including every third weekend home), the cost of a checkout party wasn't as onerous as it would be now for the current trainees. Heck, I don't even know what trainees get paid now but I know it ain't what I got. Not to mention that a large mug of draft beer in TCTI was $.55. :drinkers:

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

I think the trainees now receive something like an annual salary of $30000...although this is VERY recent.

The "check out" party is still done at YYZ ACC. It is more heavily controlled than it was in the past. My year was actually the final straw...and a reason why I am less sympathetic to those that think the trainee actually owes the OJI anything. Circumstances lead to the "checkouts" having to shell out $1000 each towards the cost of the party (all food and beverage)....and at the time I was told it was all in the name of "tradition". Funny how tradition is OK if you aren't paying for it.

In the UK we had none of it, a simple thanks...and onward and upwards with the career. I never gave it a thought till I moved to Canada....didn't get it then, don't get it now. Horses for courses I suppose.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Lloyd YWG FIC wrote:
Braun wrote: mostly because it reunites people a few times a year and is usually a really good time.
I wonder if that is a big difference between FSS and ATC. FSS are smaller units generally in smaller communities. Back in the pre-historic days, we worked and socialized with our co-workers a lot.

Also, given that back then we were paid almost from day one with all expenses in TCTI covered (including every third weekend home), the cost of a checkout party wasn't as onerous as it would be now for the current trainees. Heck, I don't even know what trainees get paid now but I know it ain't what I got. Not to mention that a large mug of draft beer in TCTI was $.55. :drinkers:
Haha .55$ beer...impressive...sorry to say I probably wasn't born when you were there :) haha. ACC's can be weird places i've found. There are people you ''work with'' that you never really get to know because they are in other sub-units and often sub-unit conflicts don't help with that issue. The occasional beer call is always a good time i've found but I can see why some people don't like the idea.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”