Easyjet claims "youngest" crew in commercial airline.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Easyjet claims "youngest" crew in commercial airline.

Post by Saxub »

---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Easyjet claims "youngest" crew in commercial airline.

Post by DanWEC »

Good for them, genuinely. Curious though, I wonder what they have paid and what their actual salaries are? Google is no help, with about a 50k pound spread.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Quite the feat actually, but I think they missed out on the mentioning the FO for his achievements. The Cpt. only started flight training at 19 and joined Easy Jet at 21. This kid is 19, licensed and flying as an FO. That is also very impressive.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Last edited by FL320 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

A buddy of mine will be a skipper on a WJE Q400 at 25. Was a skipper on a 704 transport category machine at 23. I wonder if WJE is considered a "Commercial Airline" according to that site.
Either way, that's pretty impressive. I also knew an FO at another Q400 operator in Ontario who was 22 but I can't remember if he went left seat or jumped to AC mainline.
Cheers

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I was captain on a 1900 at 22 and fo on a 737 at 23. It mostly has to do with being in the right place at the right time. Nothing really to be impressed about.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Yeah, 1900 Cpt is still impressive but were talking Captain and FO at one of Europe's largest ULCC's. I think it's a bit different.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

FAD3C wrote:A buddy of mine will be a skipper on a WJE Q400 at 25. Was a skipper on a 704 transport category machine at 23. I wonder if WJE is considered a "Commercial Airline" according to that site.
Either way, that's pretty impressive. I also knew an FO at another Q400 operator in Ontario who was 22 but I can't remember if he went left seat or jumped to AC mainline.
Cheers
[sarcasm]
Of course everyone knows that you're not a "Commercial Pilot" unless you're flying a jet and can get free passes for all your buddies, and an airline isn't really a "Commercial Airline" if they have any pistons or turboprops.
[/sarcasm]

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

I was 24 as f/o and captain was 29 on an airbus 310 a few years ago, i thought that was not bad for a flying a widebody in canada. Should have taken a pic.

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

Didn't Wardair have a B747 Captain who was around 25 back in the early 80's ?

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

Yup

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Kind of odd to use "youngest" as a marketing gimmick with flight crew. Fleet age, sure. But the pilots?

'Cause everyone wants their lawyer, accountant, surgeon, pilot to be at the lowest level of their career experience, not their peak...is that it? :lol:

Yeah, yeah, I know...this sounds like "you kids get off my lawn!" kinda comments. But I'm curious that they would pair the youngest CA with the youngest FO, I get the PR angle but uh...perhaps a better idea to put a junior captain with a senior FO, hmmm? And can't really see how taking on 120 000€ (about 177,000CAD presently) of debt at a young age can be glossed over. Still, a command at any age is an achievement, my cynicism aside.

Got a couple of former colleagues who were at Easy. Good pay for a low-co but they definitely work for it.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Lol I was thinking the same thing! Inexperience is nothing really to brag about.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

The airline may be trying to shake up interest in potential pilots by showing how quickly you can make it to the airlines. With the retirements increasing and fewer people coming through the flight school doors it could be a way to encourage people to look at the industry again.
Can't argue that the lack of experience is not a selling point in my view for the public.

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Qdrivermann »

I thought I was doing well for Canadian standards back in the day with a DHC-6 Captain position at 25. It only took me 14 months from first PPC as F/O to get upgraded and that was my first flying job!! I was 28 with a Captains position on the Dash 8...
To recap - the last 20 years of my career has been in Asia and one thing is for sure: both the young Captain and F/O at EasyJet are easily carrying 120K€ of training debt each and self funded everything right up to their very own A320 TR..... Not a path that I would take or be proud of... :roll:

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”