Porters version of a cadet program

Post by nottellin »

---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Porters version of a cadet program

Post by upintheair_ »

I don't see the point in this. Why not just apply when you have 1000 hours?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I can see this being something they use as an aid to establish a relationship with low time pilots' that actually want to be with porter when they hit 1000 hours. In comparison to companies that won't even look at you below posted minimum requirements. Think of it as scouting for hockey players, but for pilots. It allows them to select what you'd think are the most suitable candidates from what I imagine will be a rather competitive pool of young and sharp pilots. It's a smart move for them, cause you will get more miles out of a 1000 hour driver than what used to be your 3000 hour first officer who is looking for his/her first call to either WJ or AC using Porter as a stepping stone.

Overall I would say this is a positive move and gets young and upcoming pilots involved with an established airline in hopes to earn a career job. The big question though is, what happens to these cadets when it comes to the pay scale? Are they going to be less worthy and hence on a z scale?

JohnG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JohnG »

Just to clarify, this isn't a cadet program, nor is Porter needing to hire 1000 hour pilots at present time. This month, we are interviewing for classes in February and April, and I can personally tell you that Porter is fortunate enough to have an abundance of excellent candidates with good experience to chose from.

In the past, the database would kick out applicants with less than 2500 hours. Porter changed that threshold so that we can build up our database of pilots in anticipation of the C Series. If the airport expansion is approved, we anticipate that our pilot group will triple in size.

John G

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

What kind of schedule do pilots normally work? Would it be possible to commute? I've always thought Porter would be a great place to work but I've hesitated to apply because my family situation precludes moving.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Diadem wrote:What kind of schedule do pilots normally work? Would it be possible to commute? I've always thought Porter would be a great place to work but I've hesitated to apply because my family situation precludes moving.
Schedules are bid for each month and what you get really depends on your seniority. 10 days off per month guaranteed, more is possible if you work higher credit pairings.

The longest pairings are 4 days, and seems to be a mix of senior/mid/junior people getting them since some live 2h+ away from base and like to minimize their travel time. Most pairings are 1, 2 and 3 days though, the % of each changes each month and at each base. As a new hire, you're likely to be on reserve for a few months depending on how soon the next class(es) are hired after you. Reserve blocks give you 10 days off a month and you have some choice (again, depending on seniority) what those days are and if you want 5 in a row off or whatever. It's a 2h call-out window while on reserve. I think officially one "has to live within a 2h drive" from their base.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Are they only hiring for the "lsland" base or are the others going to be available ? And what are fo's and cpt's pulling in (salary and perdiems) per month ?

Gravity always wins
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Mostly all new hires start out in YTZ.

New hires for YOW/YHZ are to replace open spots.

Priority is given to those internally wanting a transfer first, if spots are still unfilled, then they go to new hires.

As for pay, there a 10 year scale floating around.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Is it possible to ASK for the YTZ base, if you live in Toronto?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

FishermanIvan wrote:Is it possible to ASK for the YTZ base, if you live in Toronto?
All new hires start at YTZ unless there is a specific opening at YHZ or YOW that has not been filled internally (which is rare); however, if you are not specifically asked in the interview what your preferred base is, the "any questions for us?" part at the end would be a perfect time to bring this up :)

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”