iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fixedpitch
Rank 2
Rank 2

iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

Post by fixedpitch »

Anyone using the iPad Mini 4 64gb with ForeFlight?

I want to purchase the Mini 4 because I like the size but want to make sure it runs well on 64gb. The other option is to go up to 128gb. I will be using it strictly for VFR.

If you have any insight please share.
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: iPad Mini 4 and ForeFlight

Post by 7ECA »

I've got a Mini 3 64GB, it works quite well with ForeFlight - but I'd say it is the smallest memory option you can get away with for the app. If you need to download large swaths of Canadian charts, you should get the 128GB.

fixedpitch
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fixedpitch »

Hi 7ECA,

Thanks for that! Do you find the Mini is big enough to display what you need for VFR? Also how is the glare? I am leaning toward the 128GB.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

I use a 128 GB iPad Mini 4 with ForeFlight and it works fine. The 64 GB version would be OK if that's all it does, or if your flying is very local so you only need a handful of charts. The screen is fine for size and glare. I've used it in Cherokees and 172s, as well as the Musketeer I gave myself for my birthday.

I had to mix and match RAM parts to mount it in the cockpit, since the Mini 4 was brand new at the time. This won't be an issue now.

The built-in GPS (only on the cellular models) works fine. I use mine with a Bad Elf GPS. YMMV.

...laura

feel-x
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by feel-x »

I have the mini 3 with 64 GB, had US and CANADA VFR and IFR maps ans charts, worked fined, if you start to run out of space you can deselect some province that you dont fly or not planning to and reselect them later, every month or so you will have to download all the current data anyway so might be a waste of time anyway.... I really like the mini, find the size perfect for aviation, not too big, I have the survivor case as well and still think it's a great investment! built in GPS work pretty good.
I use my ipad for personal reason as well but I don't have a lot of music or photo on it so that's why I have a lot of space available (right now I still have 15 GB left)
have fun with your purchase, I say it's the best option!

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The compact size of the iPad Mini means that is is a good device to use in smaller cockpits - versus a full sized iPad which at times would be neat to have for the increased coverage, but not necessary overall. I generally use the iPad in portrait mode, and if you need a larger chart area you can flip the orientation to landscape.

I purchased a kneeboard mount, and have used it a bunch of times with no issues: http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/ps ... -16535.php

As for glare, my first use of the iPad was on a bright and sunny day, and I did find at times that the screen was hard to see due to glare. Down to Simply Computing (or any computer store should have these available) and bought a moshi iVisor with a matte finish. It acts as a screen protector and helps prevent glare.

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

I use foreflight on a mini 3 cellular model with 32gb.

I dont use it for anything other than flying and with all of Canada VFR and IFR charts as well as most of the Northern US border states I have 6 gigs to spare.

So in my opinion a 64gb should work just fine.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

[quote="ogc"]I use foreflight on a mini 3 cellular model with 32gb.

I dont use it for anything other than flying and with all of Canada VFR and IFR charts as well as most of the Northern US border states I have 6 gigs to spare.

So in my opinion a 64gb should work just fine.[/quote]

Glare is a big problem with a bubble canopy. The GPS however is fantastic and locks on very solidly even in the back of a big commercial airliner near a window.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

I have a mini2 with 32 gb and have all of Canada and a few us states downloaded. Both vfr and ifr LO/HI. It takes up about 10GB just for fore flight so I still have lots of space for any personal stuff I want on there

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WileyCoyote »

I have a mini 2 64. With all of Canada and US, VFR/IFR, and everything else downloaded I have 15 GB free.

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: iPad Mini 4 128Gb Cellular?

Post by Tailwheelup »

What is the differences you need to be aware of in buying an Apple Ipad Mini 4 Cellular 128Gb?
I notice on Ebay that there is a very large difference in asking prices, am
I missing something?

Is there a standard size that is used by Airlines as EFBs?
Any suggestions appreciated.

My work does not at present require one, I would just like to have one
to keep all the required documents on.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

If you want GPS you have to buy the cellular version, even if you never connect it to a cell network.
Annoying but the GPS is very good.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

An iPad mini 4 is an iPad mini 4. They're all the same.

Cellular models have GPS, whether you use the cell data or not. I continue to use my Bad Elf GPS with my iPad mini and it works fine. Besides, I can draw nice maps with it. :)

...laura

Attachments
Harrison Lake.png
Harrison Lake.png (273.3 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

I have a Mini 4 (can't remember what size) and use FltPlan Go. I'm only a renter pilot and don't do long X-C flights so all I need is my local charts. The iPad is paired with a Dual XGPS160 which has amazing position resolution. If I do a minimum radius turn on the ground (one wheel locked) the GPS track will still show it clearly.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Bear in mind the mini has a 2 generations old version of the CPU, so it will likely get outdated sooner. You might find that when you upgrade to iOS 14 or 15 it will be slow as hell, or you won't be able to upgrade at all.

I'd also recommend getting as much storage space as you can afford. Not only do you need a lot of space for storing charts, but if you don't have much free space left your ipad will run very slowly, as it has to shunt data around the flash memory, and that is very time consuming.

I recently got a 10in ipad pro with 256GB RAM, and it works very well in the cockpit. Battery life is excellent as well...on a recent 7 hour flight it was only down to about 80% (that was with FltPlan Go running the whole time, but the screen only on sometimes).

The mini has really crappy battery life, and the screen is a little small for looking at approach charts.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

CpnCrunch wrote:The mini has really crappy battery life, and the screen is a little small for looking at approach charts.
I've had my mini for two years and the battery life (which was indeed marginal to begin with) has taken a nosedive in the last couple of months. I'm planning a new one in the new year. Until then I run it on external power in the air.

...laura

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Spend the extra hundred bucks and get the 128gb version. I've never heard anyone lamenting that they had too much memory, but sure have heard a lot wish they had got the bigger one. Been there myself too.

Wahunga!
MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

I use the 64GB mini 4 and it works great! Just remember to get one with an in-built GPS chip so you don't have to spend on getting a data plan. It's more than enough memory for my requirements because I only use the iPad for foreflight, everything else goes in the iPhone. I couldn't be happier with the size - not too big but big enough for you to be able to see in flight without having to squint. However, you will need to zoom in/out when looking at approach charts during IFR but that's really not a deal-breaker for me. One other product I would recommend is the RAM suction cup mount for the iPad mini. I have never come across a mount so efficient (pivot ball technology) and sturdy. Those people at RAM definitely knew the kind of environment they were dealing with when designing it for cockpit use. It mounts effortlessly! I personally stick it on the left side of the windshield (C172) about half way down from the top and it's never in the way of any instruments. Extremely satisfied and highly recommend both those products - they make flying so much easier!

The mount:

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

As an FYI, best buy was (is?) blowing out the 9.7 inch ipad pro from last year. Saving from original is like $300 off.

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: iPad Mini 4 128Gb Cellular?

Post by Tips Up »

Tailwheelup wrote:What is the differences you need to be aware of in buying an Apple Ipad Mini 4 Cellular 128Gb?
I notice on Ebay that there is a very large difference in asking prices, am
I missing something?

Is there a standard size that is used by Airlines as EFBs?
Any suggestions appreciated.

My work does not at present require one, I would just like to have one
to keep all the required documents on.

With no cellular, no built in gps. But, options like the bad elf or similar make that unnecessary. Usually cheaper to get the no cell version and a bad elf. Works fine.

Return to “General Comments”