How often do Sky Regional Airlines Pilots use Mathematics?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

How often do Sky Regional Airlines Pilots use Mathematics?

Post by shivam282 »

How often do Sky Regional Airlines Pilots use Mathematics in several phases of their work day such as during before flight briefings, in the air, after flight etc.? If so, what type of Math is expected and are you allowed to use a calculator for it? Does Sky Regional have apps and iPads/Laptops that do most of the calculating during/before/after the flight like how Air Canada Mainline does? I know for a fact that all Air Canada Mainline aircraft are now equipped with iPads and do a lot of the calculating for you. I have heard lots of airlines no longer do much mathematics since it is all digital. Does their Interview process involve a Mathematics, or Logic Test?(Also, just to confirm, is a logic test the kind of test has has patterns and asks you what the next pattern would be, or is it more like riddles and memorizing...or all 3?) I would prefer a reply from a recent hire for my interview questions(however you can also reply if you have been hired within the last few years), and I would like to hear from a current Sky regional Pilot for my Mathematics in flight/before flight/after flight questions. If you have any confirmed information that you are 100% sure about that has to do with my questions, but you are not a recent hire or current pilot with Sky regional, please feel free to reply as well. Thank You.
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: How often do Sky Regional Airlines Pilots use Mathematics?

Post by AuxBatOn »

Dude,

The answers to your questions will be dauntingly similar between operators, especially 705 operators. Bottom line: Math skills allow you to quickly analyse a situation and predict an outcome (such as endurance, range, distance travelled, altitude gained/lost, flight path angle etc.

No need to have a post about every company out there.

Going for the deck at corner
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I'm guessing this guy is not good at mathematics and is worried about getting the job...

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

shivam282 wrote:How often do Sky Regional Airlines Pilots use Mathematics in several phases of their work day such as during before flight briefings, in the air, after flight etc.? If so, what type of Math is expected and are you allowed to use a calculator for it? Does Sky Regional have apps and iPads/Laptops that do most of the calculating during/before/after the flight like how Air Canada Mainline does? I know for a fact that all Air Canada Mainline aircraft are now equipped with iPads and do a lot of the calculating for you. I have heard lots of airlines no longer do much mathematics since it is all digital. Does their Interview process involve a Mathematics, or Logic Test?(Also, just to confirm, is a logic test the kind of test has has patterns and asks you what the next pattern would be, or is it more like riddles and memorizing...or all 3?) I would prefer a reply from a recent hire for my interview questions(however you can also reply if you have been hired within the last few years), and I would like to hear from a current Sky regional Pilot for my Mathematics in flight/before flight/after flight questions. If you have any confirmed information that you are 100% sure about that has to do with my questions, but you are not a recent hire or current pilot with Sky regional, please feel free to reply as well. Thank You.

You seem to be really worried about math? This is what, the 4th post on the subject?

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

I'm starting to think this guy might be a new version of nickynick.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

I like to figure out how much per diems I will bank after I bag a lunch and buy coffee at McDonald's. This requires calculating number of hours x rate per hour - coffee. If I were a senior AC Captain, I would maybe go to Starbucks.

I'm guessing Grade 10 math would cover this.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Being an airline pilot doesn't require proficiency in advanced mathematics. However, it does require the ability to interpret graphs, and to do basic math quickly and correctly.

If you're worried about your math skills, then practice!! Seriously. It is a skill, like playing the guitar, or shooting a jumpshot, or hitting a high draw, or flying an airplane. Nobody is born with a wizard like ability without any practice or effort. You make yourself into somebody who is good at it, period!

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

I don't think you'll need to know anything fancier than Grade 10 math, most of the time.

Probably more important to be prepared for a lot of reading, memorizing and as mentioned earlier, practice. Also, get along with everyone.

Other skills that airline pilots must be good at: being situationally aware. This is NOT a Sky Regional forum.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”