DHC-2 Crash - Northern BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ski.fly
Rank 0
Rank 0

DHC-2 Crash - Northern BC

Post by ski.fly »

---------- ADS -----------

cjpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: DHC-2 Crash - Northern BC

Post by cjpilot »

Life is best viewed upside down through the canopy
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

At the rate people crash Beavers these days, one has to wonder when almost all will be gone.

Yes...it is frustrating to see Another one.

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

Yes tragic for sure......

If the Star Phoenix is correct....

He earned a ppl with a float endorsement last year and owned a 172 and a Beaver on floats ( for 6weeks)

Inexperienced prairie pilot un mentored in the mountains of BC in Oct ....I dunno ......

As great an aircraft as it is,it has a nasty stall characteristic,that is sudden, unforgiving,swift and unrecoverable without a bunch of air below....

So sad to hear!!!

Eater

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

pelmet wrote:At the rate people crash Beavers these days, one has to wonder when almost all will be gone.

Yes...it is frustrating to see Another one.

Viking owns the type certificates, and I don't believe it will be too much longer before they put the Beaver back into production.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Some of them get rebuilt from as little as a data plate. There's also still many sitting in fields and not flying, being held by the bank, operator closed the doors, but hasn't sold assets yet, etc.

Regardless, I'm more concerned about the poor guy who died in the plane. As iconic as the plane is, it's still just a thing. Trivial in comparison to those who are no longer with us.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

As great an aircraft as it is,it has a nasty stall characteristic,that is sudden, unforgiving,swift and unrecoverable without a bunch of air below....
This theme has been mentioned from time to time over the years, and for my limited experience with the Beaver does not indite the Beaver any more than any other similar type. I discussed this with Russ Bannock many years ago, and he responded to me by taking me for a demonstration flight in his Beaver on floats. I was very experienced with 180/185 STOL equipped floatplanes at the time, and was awestruck at how agile and forgiving the Beaver was in that context. Since then, I have been less likely to think that Beaver surprised skilled pilot, but rather pilot failed to fly the Beaver.

Every plane will stall. Some hang on so well (far into the stall) that when they finally let go, the otherwise gradual progression into the stall happens more suddenly. Handling that, is just good piloting, and type familiarity to be able to apply skills to managing this characteristic.
Inexperienced prairie pilot un mentored in the mountains of BC in Oct
This theme causes me pause for thought - again....

Its What I do
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Its What I do »

Viking will not start production on the Beaver.
People will crash Beavers , 180s ,185s etc .
Training is key , mentoring, life experiences....
Very unfortunate but will continue to happen till people step back and take the training , suggestions experiences from others.

I have personally lost 3 very good friends from crashes . I personally tried to mentor ,train etc . If they dont embrace it wont change the outcome.

Godspeed , sympathy to the family

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

PilotDAR wrote:
Inexperienced prairie pilot un mentored in the mountains of BC in Oct
Is there a preliminary report somewhere i missed. Why would anyone post something like this. Maybe he had a mechanical issue.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I just read the Citation thread and had the same thought about some of the posts there.

No idea why people have to make these kinds of posts after an accident. Maybe offerring their condolences, or saying how sad it is allows them to just toss whatever they are thinking out there without any thought to how it might affect the people who are involved, or their families..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

godsrcrazy wrote:
PilotDAR wrote:

Is there a preliminary report somewhere i missed. Why would anyone post something like this. Maybe he had a mechanical issue.
Totally agree. My condolences.

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

godsrcrazy wrote:
PilotDAR wrote:

Soooooo...it's ok for you to speculate on a mechanical issue......OK then!,,

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

trey kule wrote:I just read the Citation thread and had the same thought about some of the posts there.

No idea why people have to make these kinds of posts after an accident. Maybe offerring their condolences, or saying how sad it is allows them to just toss whatever they are thinking out there without any thought to how it might affect the people who are involved, or their families..
I think it's pretty natural to ask out loud, what went wrong? It's a puzzle with pieces that we understand more than the layman and we want to put them together. Nobody is directing blame that I have read. The C500, and the Beaver are a lot of machine for one person to handle each doing very different things yet each equally able to kill if not handled properly. Both sad events, and we do grieve, but we also ask the hard question of each other and ultimately of ourselves. Would I have been able to do something different? Would I have survived?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

but we also ask the hard question of each other and ultimately of ourselves. Would I have been able to do something different? Would I have survived?
Exactly who says that? And why do we have to?
Why can we at least stop trying to answer the question until a more appropriate time,? Does the internet make us completely immune to the loss others have suffered, so we can just toss out any thought that pops into our mind.

Some of the speculation on these threads is not only not based on any factual information, but totally without respect for the survivors of such tragedies.

". inexperienced pilot un mentored in the mountains of BC...I dunno"

Exactly what hard question is that answering?

In any event, my sincere condolences to all that have suffered in these accidents..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

DHC2eater wrote:
godsrcrazy wrote:
PilotDAR wrote:
Soooooo...it's ok for you to speculate on a mechanical issue......OK then!,,
Saying MAYBE he had a mechanical issue is not saying he had one.
Its What I do wrote:Inexperienced prairie pilot un mentored in the mountains of BC in Oct
Someone typing the above insinuates the pilot was not qualified. It also insinuates he messed up. Cant believe what people post on this site before the poor guy even has a funeral.

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

GOD

NO....

You are incorrect on all accounts...

Please get a Webster and look up qualified and experienced may as well check insinuates and maybe.....while your at ...

Accident reports often don't surface for years.....in the mean time people/equipment are lost.

The loss of your friend, although tragic,happens frequently in the environment/conditions mentioned.

Your tantrums and attacks on me won't change that but if it makes you feel better ...fill your boots.

Flying the costal/interior mountains (especially in transition seasons)is a whole different game with a whole different way of doing things.....

The number of prairie pilots(of which I am one...with mountain experience) that have killed themselves and others over the last 50years and more is staggering!!!!

The " let's git er done " mentality in aviation will kill you!!!!

Eater

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

image.jpg
image.jpg (696.92 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (696.92 KiB) Viewed 4860 times

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

DHC2eater wrote:GOD

NO....

You are incorrect on all accounts...

Please get a Webster and look up qualified and experienced may as well check insinuates and maybe.....while your at ...

Accident reports often don't surface for years.....in the mean time people/equipment are lost.

The loss of your friend, although tragic,happens frequently in the environment/conditions mentioned.

Your tantrums and attacks on me won't change that but if it makes you feel better ...fill your boots.

Flying the costal/interior mountains (especially in transition seasons)is a whole different game with a whole different way of doing things.....

The number of prairie pilots(of which I am one...with mountain experience) that have killed themselves and others over the last 50years and more is staggering!!!!

The " let's git er done " mentality in aviation will kill you!!!!

Eater
DHC2,

"I don't know what happened" means simply, "I don't know".

It's a concept rather difficult for most people.

That is the status of this accident. Assuming pilot error is premature without facts.

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

I believe the report is available!

Eater

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... 6p0180.asp

Almost 700lbs overweight and out of c of g limits and caught in rising terrain.

Somehow I think that a stall warning system wouldn't have made a difference. 700 lbs overweight! Wtf!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”