The U.S. Airline Industry today.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

The U.S. Airline Industry today.

Post by TheStig »

While this may be a forum about aviation in Canada, I thought it was worth taking stock of the current state of the industry south of the boarder. I know as Canadians we tend to be smug when it comes to Hockey and the current political state of affairs. However, you can't help but be impressed with what our peers (if they'll still consider us as such) have accomplished recently.

I learned early on not to be jealous of another pilots lot in life, so I'd just like to offer them my congratulations. Obviously the US major carriers have been through a lot in the last 15 years but its great to see the airlines come to the table and reward the pilots for the sacrifices that were made and once again set industry leading standards. I'm not here to dump on ACPA, ALPA(C), or the WJPA but you can't help but marvel at 25-30% raises that unions such as ALPA, APA, and SWAPA have negotiated for their members.

Delta's TA
http://taprocon.com/#/pay

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/ ... c3979e19c9

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ual-w ... SKCN0V020H
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: The U.S. Airline Industry today.

Post by mbav8r »

TheStig,
While it is absolutely great that they are able to get such great increases in pay, this is not being done to reward the pilots for their sacrifices, there is no doubt in my mind that if they weren't facing a shortage of pilots the airlines would be hoarding the profits for the true reason airlines run, the upper management. Last part in jest!
The 1500 hour rule created a perfect storm, it reduced the ability to hire 250 shinny jet syndrome pilots and shone a very big spotlight on the poverty wages being offered at the regional level and now there is effectively a shortage and the airlines are all scrambling to fill seats at the regional, my opinion is if the wages at mainline are very high, they could still attract pilots to the feeder with less money and perhaps even start attracting new pilots into the industry.
In Canada, we are a very long way from joining in the fun, with TC making it easier at every step for the airlines to fill jobs, whether it's temporary foreign pilots or multi crew licence or even just allowing college grads to immediately sit right seat in a 705 aircraft without an ATPL.

Again, very happy for them and really hope it continues in that direction!

Braaaap
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Braaaap »

It's pretty crazy how things are snowballing. Would one recommend going after a job south of the border if they held their American citizenship. My end goal is a career here in Canada but it seems it's easier to build time south of the border. But I also heard Canadian employers don't care much about American time.

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

Braaaap wrote:It's pretty crazy how things are snowballing. Would one recommend going after a job south of the border if they held their American citizenship. My end goal is a career here in Canada but it seems it's easier to build time south of the border. But I also heard Canadian employers don't care much about American time.
This is exactly what I did and they put me right seat in the E120 at just over 500TT. Time is time particularly if you're flying 705 equivalent. I can image they wouldn't love it you applied with 1500T and 1200 of it is flying skydivers. But that just my opinion.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Another article about the pilot shortage at US regionals....one can only dream that this could happen in Canada, our industry keeps going the wrong direction on wages.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pilot-short ... 1478473042

If link above doesn't work, try this one,

https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Aviat ... ng%20Wages

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

yycinformer wrote:
Braaaap wrote:It's pretty crazy how things are snowballing. Would one recommend going after a job south of the border if they held their American citizenship. My end goal is a career here in Canada but it seems it's easier to build time south of the border. But I also heard Canadian employers don't care much about American time.
This is exactly what I did and they put me right seat in the E120 at just over 500TT. Time is time particularly if you're flying 705 equivalent. I can image they wouldn't love it you applied with 1500T and 1200 of it is flying skydivers. But that just my opinion.
Correct, just a opinion and not based on facts.

If you hold a ATPL, built much of your time flying jumpers, but still can fly instruments, they don't care, infact as a jumper pilot you would have much more stick time, and probably a better personality.

Sitting in cruise with George flying isn't as grand the time as many try to pitch if as.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”