Wasaya

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Instructor013
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wasaya

Post by Instructor013 »

I am just looking for any current info on wasaya.
---------- ADS -----------

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wasaya

Post by Spirit »

My understanding is that you need to pay your bond up front if you want to work there...

Needtofly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Needtofly »

My understanding is they have 3 types of bonds. One you pay the full amount and they pay you back monthly. Two you pay for have the bond and they pay you back monthly. Or three they pay the bond and you sign a note saying if you leave before 6 months you owe $9500 and after 6 month it will be reduced by 1/6 till the end of the bond (no money up front)
So it is up to you if you want to pay for your job.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Needtofly wrote:My understanding is they have 3 types of bonds. One you pay the full amount and they pay you back monthly. Two you pay for have the bond and they pay you back monthly. Or three they pay the bond and you sign a note saying if you leave before 6 months you owe $9500 and after 6 month it will be reduced by 1/6 till the end of the bond (no money up front)
So it is up to you if you want to pay for your job.

And who do you think is going to get the job if they have 3 candidates, one looking for each of those schemes, for 1 position. It sure wouldn't matter who was the best of the bunch.

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

There are other companies that offer this very same deal with their bonds and they are recommended to work for. People willing to do that are the ones to be blamed. Does the company makes hiring choices based on this.... I would highly doubt that. I'm guessing in today's environment most people opt for the no money upfront as they do with the other shops that say you can pay upfront or sign and wait 6 months until they pro rate.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

The act of bonding will backfire on many smaller companies, as prospective pilots will shy away given the current airline hiring scene. Outfits like Wasaya will have to up wages to compete for a shrinking pilot pool....forced retention won't work.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Now here is a twist...

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress. ... agreement/

Will this be a new trend ?

Fly The Wing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fly The Wing »

dhc# wrote:Now here is a twist...

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress. ... agreement/

Will this be a new trend ?
The grease pole is on wheels for @#$! sakes.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

And who do you think is going to get the job if they have 3 candidates, one looking for each of those schemes, for 1 position. It sure wouldn't matter who was the best of the bunch.
The sad truth. Filling a position on willingness to sign away a few years, or to meet a quota system, that is not descrimitory, but "pro" this or that.

Ability. Not a priority. Experience.....nope. qualifications...absolute legal minimums.
It will take, I believe about another 10 years until we start to see the upswing in the accident trend, and then the pendelum will swing the other way..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
thepriceisright
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by thepriceisright »

Hello all,

Looking to get some current information on 1900 Captain at Wasaya. Working conditions, pay, etc. Any info appreciated. Thank you!

thepriceisright
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hello all,

Looking to get some current information on 1900 Captain at Wasaya. Working conditions, pay, etc. Any info appreciated. Thank you!

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

I still fail to see the fault in the operator asking you to stick around for a year after they've invested 4-6 weeks of training and +$10,000 in you.

Guys walk out the door 6 weeks later to Jazz, etc. after getting on the line. As a group we have proven a verbal agreement means nothing. In such a short time frame I highly doubt at an ALPA carrier that a pilot could reasonably argue working conditions were so different than promised to justify leaving in 3 months.

If you can't commit to 12 months or be willing to take the financial hit for a better job then maybe that job isn't worth taking or you should have taken the Wasaya job in the 1st place. Oh wait, you were using it to get the next job, so I see no problem with you having to pay if you leave in under the year you committed to.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

The Hammer wrote:I still fail to see the fault in the operator asking you to stick around for a year after they've invested 4-6 weeks of training and +$10,000 in you.

Guys walk out the door 6 weeks later to Jazz, etc. after getting on the line. As a group we have proven a verbal agreement means nothing. In such a short time frame I highly doubt at an ALPA carrier that a pilot could reasonably argue working conditions were so different than promised to justify leaving in 3 months.

If you can't commit to 12 months or be willing to take the financial hit for a better job then maybe that job isn't worth taking or you should have taken the Wasaya job in the 1st place. Oh wait, you were using it to get the next job, so I see no problem with you having to pay if you leave in under the year you committed to.
Because training pilots is the price of running an airline. If you don't want people to leave after 6 months, treat them better. Why do you think WestJet and Air Canada don't have bonds? Companies are happy to extol the virtues of the free market; It goes both ways.

PROC_HDG

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

PROC_HDG wrote:
The Hammer wrote:I still fail to see the fault in the operator asking you to stick around for a year after they've invested 4-6 weeks of training and +$10,000 in you.

Because training pilots is the price of running an airline. If you don't want people to leave after 6 months, treat them better. Why do you think WestJet and Air Canada don't have bonds? Companies are happy to extol the virtues of the free market; It goes both ways.

PROC_HDG
That....and there is a sizeable difference between a promissory note and an upfront purchase of your employment.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Wasaya does not require cash up front anymore. That is a thing of the past, and for good reason.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

PROC_HDG wrote:

PROC_HDG
Sorry but I don't think you can accurately judge a reputable commuter airline in just 6 weeks on the line. (and you must have already been sending out resumes before that).
I can't move my operation to the GTA but you agreed to spend a year away from the GTA (and your mom) and work under an ALPA contract.
WJ/AC don't sign bonds because initial training is actually a small portion of their overall costs (BTW The 320 sim goes for less/hr than Beech 1900 sim) and people generally consider it and end destination so they rarely leave when they get there. Same reason they pay shit wages to start, because people will do it for the end destination/heavy metal.

thepriceisright
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hello all

Does anyone have any information as to what questions are asked in a Wasaya interview. PM me if you'd like.

Thanks

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

PROC_HDG wrote:

PROC_HDG
BINGO!!!!!
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

thepriceisright wrote:Hello all

Does anyone have any information as to what questions are asked in a Wasaya interview. PM me if you'd like.

Thanks
Do have a pulse?
Do you have a licence?
Can you afford the bond?

If yes to all three, report to the YQT hangar next week.... :lol:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Blueontop wrote:
thepriceisright wrote:Hello all

Thanks
Do have a pulse?
Do you have a licence?
Can you afford the bond?

If yes to all three, report to the YQT hangar next week.... :lol:
You laugh, but from what I hear from friends who work there that's pretty much the case.

Return to “Employment Forum”