best school

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pablo_barriga
Rank 0
Rank 0

best school

Post by pablo_barriga »

hi, can anyone tell me wich is the best aviation school (comercial) in Canada for international students?
---------- ADS -----------

Almost_there
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Almost_there »

oooo this should start a good fight or 2..can't wait to see the replies this post gets. Best flight school..heh question is can you afford it? lalala

TI-ANB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TI-ANB »

Are you planning to work in Canada after you finish or you are thinking about going back to your home country?

Leo.

duplicate2
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by duplicate2 »

Just to warn you pablo, this won't be an easy question to answer. Canada does not have 1 or 2 really stand-out schools like Embry-Riddle or UND in the States or Oxford in the UK.

There are dozens of schools that are excellent in their own way. The upside is that many of the very good schools here don't cost much more than the crappy ones (relatively speaking).

[edited for crappy grammar]

Last edited by duplicate2 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pablo_barriga
Rank 0
Rank 0

ok

Post by pablo_barriga »

ok, i understand. But what do you recommend to a 21 years old foreing student with not big money? I speak spanish and english only so it would be better outside quebec and i'm plannig comming back to Mexico after school to find a job.

I'm not familiarized with Canada at all (yet), so all the information you can give will be very apreciated.

Thanks!

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

MFC - Moncton Flight College, is a really good school that does cater to a lot of overseas students.
You’re going to need $45,000 to attend the college, or around $30,000 just to get your licenses with no college.

The town itself is located in Moncton New Brunswick. It's a friendly town with a fun atmosphere, and cheap living accommodations available.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Cheers.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
TI-ANB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TI-ANB »

Hi Pablo,

I did my commercial here in a small school. I liked it a lot because I had very good instructors. I went back home and visited all the posible employers there. NOT ONE, cared about where I got my license. They said that training in Canada was better than the US...(which was good) and then, they asked about hours and ratings.

I wanted to go to MFC, but it was way too much money compared to the small school. When I heard those guys talking, I realized that going to MFC wouldn't make a big difference.... in terms of employment back home.

In terms of learning, I have the feeling that you learn more in a college... but I never went to MFC (or any other college)... so I'm just talking based on what I have heard.

In terms of employment... at least to me, in my country... it wouldn't make ANY difference.

Good luck with the choice... it is a hard one and you have to think how you want to spend your money.

Leo.

pablo_barriga
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pablo_barriga »

Ok, i guess Moncton Flight College is a good option to study, but what can you tell me about Moncton city?. Is it a good place to live as an inmigrant?. What cosmopolitan places in Canada can you sugest to live as a foreing student?
I'm start to think that it's better to first decide where in Canada do you want to live and then search for a good aviation school/college in that location.
Just another question, how heavy is the study when you are studying to be a comercial pilot? i mean, it's possible to work and study at the same time?

Thanks!

TI-ANB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TI-ANB »

Hi Pablo,

In my personal experience, Canada in general is a good place for inmigrants. My family and I don't have any complaints at all. This country has been great for me, my wife and my two daughters. I could almost say that any city would be great! just watch out for the renting costs :)

Now, working and studying has a lot of things to be considered. I came here to work (in computer engineering) and while I was working, I got my commercial license.

I wanted to go to Moncton, but I needed to work to feed my family plus I did have all the money they wanted. I did my training in Saint John and I absolutely loved it. Small school, great instructors, very flexible with the ground school so I could finish my license and kept the job that was giving me the money to feed my family. Now, my objective is to get an instructor license to work part time. I used to teach computer science back home, I love teaching, so teaching and flying sounded like a great combination to me.

But there is another side. To work in Canada you need a work permit or a landed inmigrant status. Sometimes you can work as a student, but I don't think you can sustain a family that way.

To me, it all depends on what you want to do after you get the license. It was clear to me that I was never gonna make ($$$) in aviation what I am making in computer engineering, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't keep chasing my dream.

Training in Canada is better than the US, IMHO. College will teach you more than a small school, but maybe that's not a factor is you are willing to put the hours to do your research and study on your own.

Cost of living in Canada depends a lot on the city. I have an idea about Saint John and Fredericton, but not Moncton. Maybe it is similar since it is part of New Brunswick... not sure.

Leo.

FUBAR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FUBAR »

Moncton is a fun city. It's also affordable to live...let's not forget the cheap drinks! Good school too.

harddeckflyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by harddeckflyer »

edited

Last edited by harddeckflyer on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Pilot_adam »

Sure enought that goverment funded programs are designed for canadian citizens and laneded immigrants ONLY since they are allowed to work(landed immigrants)....
If it was for an international student to enter the program then the cost will be well over $ 60,000 Cdn (from day1 untile finishing CPL,MULTI-IFR)
Each acadimecs year will cost about $ 10,000 Cdn (approx) plus the cost of flying in FULL....

The second thing to mention here is that canadian citizens and landed immigrants will have a apriorty in entering this aviation program(flight training) at Sault College so if they have vacancies for international students they will take them to benefit from tuitions (3 TO 4 times the canadian citizen) they pay....

Having worked with international students in Mohawk college Ont i am sure that it is going to be very expensive to get a diploma in aviation from a Canadian college(NOTE and beaware that by saying college i mean a recognized goverment college not a private college)...
Now since all what you want is getting ur licenses and ur rating i would recommend you to find a FTU (Flight Trainning unite)....

I am learning to fly at Peninsulair Limited http://www.peninsulair.com they have a very good fleet , experinced instructors,friendly staff and they don't try to milk ur money ...

I don't want this to look like i am advertising for them here or anything but this is my opinion ..
I
f u are in a rush and would like to finish ur training fast you should consider The Wellington flight centre out in Kitchner Ont.all i heared about them is good and they can process ur paper work for the canadian immigration and get you a Study permit that u will need to get befreo u start studying(they are familiar with the process) there website is
http://www.wwflightcentre.com/

If u want a guide to all the training unites in Canada u should visit
http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/Traini ... ightSchool

I hope provided enough information to guide u through ...

Good luck
Cheers
Wanna-be
Pilot Adam

ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

Harvs Air in steinbach or Canadian Aviation Center, talk to Adam Penner. He has helped out a tonne of internation students...

http://www.harvsair.com
http://www.canadianaviationcentre.com

ca380
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ca380 »

I am currently just finishing up my college program at the Brampton flight College. I would highly reccomend the program to just about anyone. I started flying just last year and had NO flying experience or knowledge of the aviation industry whatsoever! I have learned so much in just one year! We have lots of overseas students from England, Jamaica, Iran, Jordan, Barbados to name a few. The school is very accomadating towards overseas students. The program is very well structured and the staff are very friendly. The website is http://www.bramfly.com, take a look and see what you think! Good Luck!

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

Moncton is a very reputable and had I had the money for it I would of gone there. Good luck!

TopRudder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TopRudder »

stthomas flight centre has done many overseas students. You wont find a better place. They help with lodging, car rides to the airport, studing ... etc....

Look them up at http://www.learntofly.on.ca

They have testamonies on there site.

TR

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

The real question I think you have to ask yourself is do you want a diploma/degree to go with your licence. Once you have that figured out, you can decide on schools/flying clubs etc.

Since no one else mentioned anythign on the west coast;

http://coastalpacific.com/cpa/index.html

(the only real difference is less snow!)

International Girl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Best Flying School in Canada

Post by International Girl »

Pablo,

I just saw your posting about the Best Flying School in Canada.

Moncton Flight College is defintly one of the top Flight Schools in Canada. I know people say that you should consider a smaller school because of price, but what I have learned in my research with flight schools is that they will quote you the bare minimum and MFC quotes you the overall cost.

There are no hidden costs with them and since they are run by a board of directors, they are not out to rip you off because the money they make goes back into the college and not into the pocket of someone running a flight college.

I know these things because I steered away from MFC and went with a smaller flight school. Once they had my money they didn't seem to care about anything else and the training was nothing compared to what I have found at MFC.

I could tell you more about the college if your interested because I live in New Brunswick and I did a lot of research on the Maritime Flight Schools.

You were also wondering about international students. I went there and found students from all over the world. There are students from Panama, Mexico, El Salvador, Barbados, China, South Korea etc.

So remember to make sure the price a school is paying you is the correct rate and talk with the staff and students at the locations like I did to get the best results. Good luck and I hope you enjoy Canada if you make it up here.

Return to “Flight Training”