2016 Ground Schools

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

limit_switch
Rank 0
Rank 0

2016 Ground Schools

Post by limit_switch »

Anyone have any information on how many courses Jazz is planning on conducting between now and the end of 2016?
---------- ADS -----------

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 2016 Ground Schools

Post by MCB »

4 courses in November.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Given the seemingly feverish pace at which recruitment is happening, can anyone out there who has been through the process recently elaborate on their experiences with the timeline.

IE: how many weeks from application - interview - PFO or if not PFOD - sim eval - background check - reference check - medical - offer.

I know theres tons of examples out there on other threads, but Im curious to see how the timeline is these days.

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by powerbrian »

Monorail Conductor wrote:Given the seemingly feverish pace at which recruitment is happening, can anyone out there who has been through the process recently elaborate on their experiences with the timeline.

IE: how many weeks from application - interview - PFO or if not PFOD - sim eval - background check - reference check - medical - offer.

I know theres tons of examples out there on other threads, but Im curious to see how the timeline is these days.

Seriously?.... Your right there are tons of examples in other threads. One being 2 threads down, posted a couple days ago...Just look and you will find. I guess I can help....

PHONE CALL FOR INTERVIEW
They will ask if you are willing to move bases. The base will be assigned on Day 2 of Groundschool.

ONLINE ASSESSMENT
This has to be done within 5 days of when they call you to book an interview. I wouldn't stress about it. In my opinion, it doesn't disqualify you. Probably just a way to get to know you better and can also give you a few extra points if you do well on some of the learning based stuff.
There are 3 things measured

1. Your Behaviour Style at Work
E.g. Which of the following MOST describes how you work and which the LEAST?
Like a challenge / Thoughtful / Full of Fun / Easy to Get Along With

2. Your learning ability - there are a few different types of questions. I've put an example of each below. These are all time based.
a) Jim is not as tall as Bob. (The statement disappears followed by a question).
Who is taller? Jim/Bob

b) G D Y U
g f y r
See how many letters in the upper row match the lower row. Then answer that number as quickly as possible. In this case: 2

c) 4 12 9
You have to first mentally see which number is the largest and smallest. Then, pick the one that is furthest from the middle number.
So in this case, 12 and 4 are largest and smallest. You would pick 4 because it is furthest from 9.

d) table chair book
Pick the one that doesn't match with the others. In this case, book

There may be some other types. They explain each question and show you a sample before asking you if you are ready to do it. As you can see, you can't study for these and they are actually kinda fun.

3. Emotional IQ
There's a bunch of questions and you have to pick whether you disagree or agree or somewhere in the middle.
a) I don't have a lot of happy memories
b) I'm usually able to control other people
c) I must be under pressure to work hard
Just answer honestly.

INTERVIEW
With ACP and HR
Tell us about your aviation career
Tell us what you know about Jazz
Who is the CEO
Why would you pick Jazz over any other airline
Tell us about a time you were dissatisfied with your company
tell us when you are happiest with your job
What are the responsibilities or duties of your current job
Have you ever experienced someone intolerant about diversity and what did you do
Have you ever delayed a decision and why
What's the most unsafe thing you have seen someone do.
Tell us about a big change you experienced in your career
Have you noticed anything that was inefficient and was going to be inefficient, what you did
Tell us about a time you saw someone do something unsafe and what you did
Have you noticed something go wrong and what did you do
Have you made a mistake. How did you address it in the future.
What would your references say about your attendance and punctuality

SIM EVAL
King Air 200 Sim in Seneca College Toronto
45 minutes to study the speeds/config and SID/Approach plates

Takeoff, followed by steep turn, followed by hold over NDB inbound on the localizer, then a LOC approach followed by a missed, then a Single Engine ILS Approach. About 30 minutes.

REST OF THE CHECKS
References, criminal background, medical test (urine), how much notice you need to start. All expenses paid for by Jazz.

TIMELINE
Application to interview: 5 weeks, Interview to Hire: 6 weeks, Hire to Groundschool: 4 weeks.
Basically you're looking at 2.5 months for the entire process. It may get longer as they're getting busier.

I hope this helps relieve some of the stress of the uncertainty in the recruitment process. Good luck everyone!

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

King air 200 sim?? Not dash 8 sim?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Depends where they send you. Montreal uses CQFA's "Q400 style" sim. Calgary is a B200.

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

Yupp I did the King Air 200 Sim. I much preferred it to the DH 8 Sim as the King Air is similar to other smaller turbines I flew. If you decide to do it in Toronto, then that's what you'll get. I think Jazz is so busy that they've decided to use other sims for the eval and save the DH8 for actual training.

PS: guys please stop making multiple threads on the same topic. Just struggle a little and then post on the relevant thread.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Yeah, my bad - I didnt mean to parrot info from a previous post, I was indeed aware. I posted with intent to fish for testimony on other's experience's with the process, as I've heard a vast array of differences.

WestBound
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WestBound »

I have searched other threads but I haven't found the exact answer I am looking for. Does anyone know what total time most people who get called for interviews have? If you have above 1250TT and ATPL exams written is there a chance for a call? People with lower hours, how long from application to initial phone call did it take? Are they hiring people with King Air time, or looking for people with 704/705 experience?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

A few friends who were 705/ 5000+ TT were called quickly.

Also my sim partner and friends were in the 2000-3000+ range for 703/4

Just learned that my sim partners GF was just hired as well and she was in the 1000+ TT range with mostly BE20 F/O time. Very little PIC.

Also GS were/are Oct 11, Oct 31, Nov 14....not sure after that.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

KenoraPilot wrote:A few friends who were 705/ 5000+ TT were called quickly.

Just learned that my sim partners GF was just hired as well and she was in the 1000+ TT range with mostly BE20 F/O time. Very little PIC.

Supposedly 4 initial GS classes in November and as usual none that will start in december.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

4 initial GS in a single month would be a first. I don't ever recall less than 2 weeks between start dates.

Let’s Go Brandon
Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

And no shortage of applicants to choose from to fill courses going forward into '17.

Gravity always wins
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

KenoraPilot wrote:A few friends who were 705/ 5000+ TT were called quickly.

....and no call yet for NickyNick. Life must really suck when your getting skirted by your F/O!

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
ThatFliGuyDerr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThatFliGuyDerr »

31st October ground school and Nov 14th. I just talked to a friend who works at jazz and they looked over the seniority list for people's hire dates and it shows normally only ever 2 ground schools a month. Still lots of vacancies get your applications in.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Oct 31 GS equipment:

YUL 5RJ/4 Classic
YYZ 4 Classic
YYC 1RJ
YVR 2 Classic

Lots of vacancies all over.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Just wondering how accommodating jazz is with start dates? Is it here's the date we want you to start take it or leave it? Or could I tell them an approximate date I would like to start?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

goleafsgo wrote:Just wondering how accommodating jazz is with start dates? Is it here's the date we want you to start take it or leave it? Or could I tell them an approximate date I would like to start?
I believe they are typically accommodating. I suppose it depends on the reason you would like a different date. Just be up front about it.

That said, seniority is everything. Deferring a course 2 months could mean 4 classes of 16 have come and gone. The only constant in this business is that things are constantly changing. Right now, hiring is crazy, tomorrow could be very different.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
nick_m_007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nick_m_007 »

By "start date" are we talking about available to start ground school or actually start flying?

ChrisGK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChrisGK »

Nick_M_007,

By "start date" he/she means the first day of ground school after which you'd roll right into your line indoctrination flying.

Hopefully that answers your question?

-CGK

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”