Yet Another Australian Migration Thread

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ajmartin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Yet Another Australian Migration Thread

Post by ajmartin »

G’day folks!

I’m a student in Australia who’s almost completed his CPL, and I have ambitions of moving to Canada (and not just for two years like most Australians) to fly bush for my whole career - I have no plans to move to the airlines; I’d rather stay bush and love the challenge.

Now, I know, I’m a foreigner - why would anyone want to hire a Skippy over a local Canuck, especially in this environment? Aren’t there enough Australians in Canada already - surely some people must be getting tired of us invading your country!

Long story short: I visited in April and it actually hurt going to the airport to fly back to Australia - speaking with people (although, admittedly, this was in downtown T.O), when I explained what I wanted to do, I wasn’t told to “go home”, I was told, “Welcome home”. I fell in love with Canada and that was after two weeks! (Okay, fine, I’ve had this dream since I started learning to fly two years ago, and visiting in April only cemented that dream.)

Would anyone have any advice for an Aussie who wants to spend the next 40 years flying in the Canadian North, coming over with 200-odd hours? I’ve been reading about two year wait times at places like Perimeter, Air Tindi, et cetera, and, quite frankly, I’m prepared to do that for as long as it takes. Better that than nothing - it’s a foot in the door, right? I want nothing more than to fly floats for my whole career - I think it’s the best form of flying there is (and I’ve only flown single-engine land aircraft at this stage). I’d be more than willing to spend my flying life living in Fort Simpson - it’s a world away from anything Down Under.

I’ve emailed TC about conversions and it doesn’t seem too difficult - get the medical, write the exam, fly the checkride. Much the same as it is for converting pilots to Australia. Would it be worth obtaining a tailwheel endorsement along with the required float rating? Are 50 hour bush flying courses worth it? (Sorry for all the questions.)

Any advice anyone could give would be absolutely appreciated. I’ve already got a map on the wall with pins from every float company listed on Pilot Career Centre - as far as I’m concerned, if I could, I’d be at Brisbane Airport in five minutes if I had the means and the licence. I know it's going to be difficult, but if, at the end of it all, I have a reasonably steady job flying Beavers somewhere up North, it'll be worth it.

Uh, also, I know it probably won't be much help in this industry, but are Bachelor degrees worth anything to Chief Pilots? I have a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Queensland.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Yet Another Australian Migration Thread

Post by North Shore »

Two words: Work Permit.
Can you get one, or not? If not, then don't waste your dreams on Canada.
Have a look at the Government of Canada website http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp about coming here, and the various permits/visas available to you. (IIRC, there is a 2 year permit available for under 25 years old...)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

North Shore wrote:Two words: Work Permit.
Can you get one, or not? If not, then don't waste your dreams on Canada.
Have a look at the Government of Canada website http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp about coming here, and the various permits/visas available to you. (IIRC, there is a 2 year permit available for under 25 years old...)
I think it is for under 30 actually but I am not sure. I also believe it is for non-specialized jobs only and called a working holiday visa or something but I could be wrong. Your best bet may be to work the ramp/dock somewhere on that visa (which is super easy to get) and once you've spent a year or so doing that it should make immigration easier.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Super easy VISA, but some employers may be hesitant to invest in training for obvious reasons.

Description: The Working Holiday category is designed for Australian citizens who intend to travel in Canada and who wish to find temporary paid employment to help pay for their trip (up to 24 months).

Note: As an Australian citizen, you may participate in the Working Holiday category only once. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may participate in IEC one more time through the International Co-op (Internship) category.

To be eligible for the Working Holiday category, you must:

be an Australian citizen,
have a valid Australian passport for the duration of your stay in Canada—your work permit in Canada will not be longer than the validity of your passport,
be between the ages of 18 and 30 (inclusive),

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

ajmartin your post on this forum is a bit like waving a red flag at a bull, and you are guaranteed of getting a lot of what comes out of the rear end of the latter.

The post above is accurate, at your age, working in Canada, getting the paperwork to work in Canada is a breeze except be prepared for a lot of "red necks" who don't like foreigners even if they come from a commonwealth country, and believe your CPL is not worth the paper it is written on.

I'd suggest that you go to the USA, get an Instructor Rating, Instrument Rating and then, pick a good school in Canada where you can convert that USA Instructor Rating and Instrument rating into a Canadian.

In Canada be prepared to fork out for a "Bush Course" on Floats if you wish to live the dream of being a bush float plane pilot.

When you get here, you will wish that you had done ALL your training in Canada as while you train here, you will make lots of friendships, lots of contacts that will be key to landing a job.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them on PM.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Ok, Drop the accent ( which I like ) get fitted for a burka, speak Arabic and say Syria lots and apply for asylum. Im sure you will get fast tracked to citizenship, front of the line for a job , and you can even commit a few crimes and not be concerned about deportation :lol:

ajmartin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ajmartin »

North Shore - I'm looking into it already and I'm going to start, as you suggested, with the 2 year visa. Friends of mine have done it (at Whistler, of course) and they've said it's quite easy to obtain.

Tailwheel - I was making friends within four hours of clearing customs at YYZ in April during my vacation! ;) That's one of the things I loved: everyone was really welcoming, and I hope folks up north won't be repulsed by a "G'day!" when I enquire about any positions. I didn't seem to get any anti-immigrant sentiment when I visited (although that wasn't the North).

Thank you all for the advice so far. I doubt I'll be in Canada for at least another 12 to 24 months yet (there's still an Oz licence to complete, and then money to earn for licence conversions and bush plane courses, et cetera). End of the day, all I want is to try and live the dream. If I have to return to Oz, I have to return (although I'll be devastated if I have to). That's life and I'm well aware that it's not going to be easy, competing for jobs in this kind of environment (we have the same problems in Oz too - too many pilots to not enough jobs).

Truth be told, working on the ramp for a year or two before getting into the cockpit would do me some good. Teach me to get out of my university-educated, latte-sipping bubble and into the real world.

Probably pushing my luck here, but in your opinions, is there work up north for people who are willing to make the trip up? I'm well aware of the May - October seasonal work, but, again, that's life.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

I spent 5 months in Australia working and travelling but that was 28 yrs ago ! The place and the people are wonderful and Canada loves Auzzies ! 1 caution though, Don't come to Canada with an attitude and arrogant way as some youth do ( im sure you wont) :wink:

DSoup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DSoup »

crazyaviator wrote:Ok, Drop the accent ( which I like ) get fitted for a burka, speak Arabic and say Syria lots and apply for asylum. Im sure you will get fast tracked to citizenship, front of the line for a job , and you can even commit a few crimes and not be concerned about deportation :lol:

I was hoping I'd go 10 posts before the racist red necks popped out. Seems that was too much to ask.

dogone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dogone »

Not sure how this fits you but; several duster operations have hired Aussie pilots. I am sure they had the experience before coming here but they did get a job. Sadly float operations are declining, with total hours flown each year falling. If you do make 40 years in the bush here the last 30 will almost certainly be in a turbine of some sort. good luck

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Yeah, that's bullshit... but why drag up a 6 month old thread... that's pretty much almost as bad.

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

While I'm in flight training, my boss runs a spray operation and the fact is, Australian Spray Pilots are highly sought after as they are available during the Canadian Summer. Many Canadian and Australian spray operators are desperate for spray pilots and there is a world wide shortage. It's a career aspiring pilots should consider as an alternative to airlines.

Now, before the red necks get even redder under the collar, there are in fact, more Canadian Spray Pilots working in Australia and Asia (than Australians working in Canada ) because of the shortness of the Canadian summer and they go where the work is.

Interestingly, the Spray business creates mentors, and my boss for example creates a large number of young guys who all want to learn to fly in a Tail-wheel with the goal of becoming crop dusters. These are highly motivated students who from around here have farm experience that saves a lot of time in learning the spray business especially the ground handling / loading that is has become almost a mandatory experience requirement.

For Australian readers, Australians and immigrants in general might like to look at Manitoba, and in particular check out www.mordenimmigration.com which details how for example students can come to Manitoba, do their training and be eligible for a work permit in Manitoba when they complete their training. Morden in particular is perhaps one of the most immigrant friendly communities in Canada. Its also not for everyone. There are around 16 churches for every coffee shop, the second language is German, the third "low German (3 dialects)" then Russian and then Spanish. There is a flight school in Morden "www.MountainCityAviation.com that does PPL training in a Citabria.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

For sure flying a spray plane is in my opinion the best flying job in aviation.

But I don't think it would be comfortable wearing a burka.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Employment Forum”