Cold calling

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

midnightt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cold calling

Post by midnightt »

I have been reading xsbanks posts and he talks about cold calling. I was wondering if any hiring managers chief pilots or others had any opinions on this. Do you take random calls directed towards you about any opportunities at your company? do you prefer emails or for the person to leave a voicemail? do you respond to said voicemail or email? How do you feel about being contacted again later by the same person? at what point does a cold call turn into your getting pissed off at getting called every month? Can you sense the desperation in the persons voice....
I know xsbank says it is a skill and I definitely agree on that but these other questions present some nuances that I have not found addressed, unless I missed the one forum where it was talked about and I have searched.
---------- ADS -----------

lucien_kane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Cold calling

Post by lucien_kane »

Hi Everyone,
I too would like to know the answer to this as it does help getting any advice from them and being able to schedule appointments so as to save some money on the road trips with proper planning.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

At the company I used to work at in the office, quite a few people called to talk to the chief pilot who was honestly never in when they called. I asked them to email a resume and only 1 out of 6 people actually did that. A month later we needed a new pilot. Guess who got a call back...

If the person who answers the phone asks to email your resume or says the chief pilot is too busy, don't think they are necessarily lying and send in the resume.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I think in general this practice is underrated.

A lot of prospective pilots think bombing an email address with résumé after résumé is adequate. E-mails are very easy to delete and don't represent a candidate very well.

When an ad specifically states to not call, then respect their request, it also shows attention to detail.

But if that option is open, a phone call is essentially a free interview and has the potential to put you above the 150 emails waiting to be opened in the company inbox.

Every company is different. Some managers like to operate by emails only, others accept phone calls. In all likelihood, doing more will get you further, so opt for that phone call or even better a well dressed in person visit if time and distance isn't an issue.

S.

midnightt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by midnightt »

schnitzel2k3 wrote:
But if that option is open, a phone call is essentially a free interview and has the potential to put you above the 150 emails waiting to be opened in the company inbox.

S.

Thanks for the advice, getting past the HR defense for a shot at talking the the chief pilot can be tricky but not impossible. I have managed to talk to a few CP's and all were willing to chat with me. (provided you can clear the defense and they are not busy)

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I have had trouble cold calling and sending in resumes via email myself. Usually I get told by whoever answers the phone to email my resume in and that the chief pilot is too busy. Maybe smaller 703 operations are more welcoming?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If there's lots of hiring and training going on, chances are the CP is busy. Either by filling in on the line or with training.
If they're not hiring, any amount of chatting with the CP isn't going to get you a job that doesn't exist. Chances are you will get the "not hiring at the moment, I'll keep your resume on file...(now leave me alone)".

Don't forget CPs are people too, they spend long hours at the office and would like to spend some of their time with their families. Not chatting with people they don't have a position to hire for even if they wanted to.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There's nothing wrong with calling to introduce yourself or follow up on an application.

Definitely email your CV and call the day after... Follow up 6 weeks later... If you don't get through, don't be a pest, but don't stress about calling. Make your call to the point.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I always call and ask who the cp is, how you spell and pronounce his/ her name and then ask candidly "will he take calls from pilots looking for work"? Being honest has worked well for me. Have a script of questions prepared and rehearsed and act like its a casual conversation.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

A good cold caller knows if they called at the right time. Keep it brief. If it sounds like they are trying to get rid of you, ask if there is a better time you could call as it's likely they are in the middle of something or it's a crazy busy day.

Check the weather. If you see that it's low IFR, icing all over the region, maybe call another day.

Personally I liked when people called, BUT you need to sell yourself. Nothing made me less interested than a pilot calling, looking for a job and when I started asking a few questions they had nothing to say.

At the end of the day, nothing beats getting out there on a road trip and shaking hands. That's how I, along with many others landed our first jobs.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

bearitus wrote: Maybe smaller 703 operations are more welcoming?

I'd say it's the other way around. At smaller operations the CP or Ops Man is likely wearing a few extra hats on their head and has even less time to talk on the phone.

Mr Brown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mr Brown »

To add to the above, if an ad or the profile on say PCC says no calls, respect that! Easy way to have your resume thrown in the bin. Outside of that I think it works. I got my first job calling up, talked to the ops manager who chatted very briefly, asked me to email a resume and then a week later got a call from the CP which turned into a phone interview. One week later I had a job offer. It definitely happens.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

If you have the option of calling or walking into the office, which would you do?
Or would you call to check if there was a good time to show up in person?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Think about the old call - you are trying to sell them something (you). Therefore you only have a minute or two to get your message across. You need to be groomed, prepared, have a copy of your resume and any other documents you wish to share with them and then be flexible and polite for what happens next...

Practise practise practise. Your handshake, your greetings your smile, your demeanour...do you have bacon stuck in your teeth? Recent haircut? Trimmed your moustache? Egg on your tie? Did you buy a new tie? Are your work clothes neat and clean (but probably not new)? Did you polish or dubbin your boots? Did you remember to put your phone on airline mode?

Your ability to comfortably talk to strangers is what will get you employed.

DO NOT forget the name of the receptionist or the woman that runs the office. This is a skill too. If you get an interview or a meeting with the powers that be, send her a small present, not flamboyant, with a thank you note. She WILL be asked about you.

What have you got to lose? They don't know anything about you and have never seen you before. If you walk in there is 2 possible outcomes: guess what they are?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

xsbank wrote:Think about the old call - you are trying to sell them something (you). Therefore you only have a minute or two to get your message across. You need to be groomed, prepared, have a copy of your resume and any other documents you wish to share with them and then be flexible and polite for what happens next...

Practise practise practise. Your handshake, your greetings your smile, your demeanour...do you have bacon stuck in your teeth? Recent haircut? Trimmed your moustache? Egg on your tie? Did you buy a new tie? Are your work clothes neat and clean (but probably not new)? Did you polish or dubbin your boots? Did you remember to put your phone on airline mode?

Your ability to comfortably talk to strangers is what will get you employed.

DO NOT forget the name of the receptionist or the woman that runs the office. This is a skill too. If you get an interview or a meeting with the powers that be, send her a small present, not flamboyant, with a thank you note. She WILL be asked about you.

What have you got to lose? They don't know anything about you and have never seen you before. If you walk in there is 2 possible outcomes: guess what they are?

I like to have my resume and cover letter typed up, in an email, addressed, ready to hit send, so when CP says "can you send me a resume?" BANG! there it is on their computer screen! If you're lucky you may get a question or two right there.

My current job I cold called pretty regularly, semi monthly for 6 months, funny thing was despite a type rating and PIC on type, reception never asked if I was green or experienced, I just asked for CP by first name. ex: Hey is Jim in? Saying Hi may I please speak to James So and So, sounds way too formal not to be a job hunter and you get the "may I ask what it is regarding please". Even better is if you remember reception's name you could say "hey Shirley, is Jim in?" When's he back. OK Very conversational tone, totally non formal.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

xsbank wrote:DO NOT forget the name of the receptionist or the woman that runs the office. This is a skill too. If you get an interview or a meeting with the powers that be, send her a small present, not flamboyant, with a thank you note. She WILL be asked about you.
This times 1000.

The person sitting behind the desk, that is "just a receptionist", might actually be the Operations Manager who's at that desk for whatever reason. I've seen it happen, and it was actually pretty funny. No that person didn't get hired.

Plus, why would you be rude to somebody that you would like to have as your future co-worker.
final28 wrote:If you have the option of calling or walking into the office, which would you do?
Or would you call to check if there was a good time to show up in person?
Definitely go there in person and take all of xbank's advice.

I'll also add that you shouldn't be too scripted or rehearsed. Be yourself. If you seem like you are pushing a script, then the CP will have an uneasy feeling. They want to see the actual you, because that's who they would be hiring. Be polite, professional, courteous and respectful.

Return to “Employment Forum”