Removing oil cap after flight.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Removing oil cap after flight.

Post by Rookie50 »

.....read this (couple places) if done immediately for 15-30 minutes may allow boiled off water to escape as steam. Reduction in sitting corrosion.

True or false?
---------- ADS -----------

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Removing oil cap after flight.

Post by Prodriver »

That is why there is a breather and you get belly oil on your plane. The engine vents over board.

"I need a time machine"
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Per Mike Busch (I'm paraphrasing): Not a bad idea. Anything that helps that moisture escape is good for the engine.

I usually pop it open after a flight while I refuel and tie down. Just make sure you don't leave the plane like that.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Some enterprising person could invent a thing that twists onto the oil filler and gently blows in dessicated air, exhausting via the breather.

EDIT: like this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... gsaver.php

I suspect this and opening the oil filler will remove some of the water vapour from the engine voids and prevent condensation but without data I'd guess the water dissolved in the oil would have too long an equilibrium time with the air surrounding it for 20 mins with the cap off to do much good there.

Last edited by photofly on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Chris M wrote:Just make sure you don't leave the plane like that.
I leave a piece of paper towel or something hanging out of the oil fill door as a reminder the cap is off. Seen guys put something on the yoke to remind them too.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Broken Slinky wrote:
I leave a piece of paper towel or something hanging out of the oil fill door as a reminder the cap is off. Seen guys put something on the yoke to remind them too.
Isn't the chance of damage to the engine due to dust/dirt particles entering the oil/engine while doing this bigger than the possible gains you could get from having some moisture exit the system ?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Seeing as some engines run for decades with chunks of metal turning up in the oil filter I don't think a tiny bit of lint will do much. Just don't push a whole rag inside and leave it there :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

digits_ wrote:
Broken Slinky wrote:
Isn't the chance of damage to the engine due to dust/dirt particles entering the oil/engine while doing this bigger than the possible gains you could get from having some moisture exit the system ?
I'm not sure I'd do it outside. Only in my hangar.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

ASAS item is a good idea but in Canada we need to remember to block off the hole in the breather above the exit

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote:Seeing as some engines run for decades with chunks of metal turning up in the oil filter I don't think a tiny bit of lint will do much. Just don't push a whole rag inside and leave it there :-)
Probably, but will the small amount of moisture in the oil do more or less bad stuff to the engine ?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

digits_ wrote:
Broken Slinky wrote:
I wrap the paper towel around the stick to allow it to vent and block some of the possibility of dirt. I also put the cowl plugs in. Haven't seen any weird spikes on the oil analysis to say excessive dirt is getting in.

Therewewere
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Therewewere »

The possibility of inadvertently leaving the cap off negates any positive results from the minuscule amount of moisture. Besides don't you think that the engine manufacture has taken this into account?

A very experienced AME once told me never leave anything undone that can be done up. Its just a recipe for disaster.

In over 23,000 hrs of flying, this is one of the dumbest "Myths" that I have ever heard of.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

+1 for Therewewere. Risk vs reward simply doesn't compute favourably. Sometimes what seems to make "common sense", just doesn't.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

[quote]That is why there is a breather and you get belly oil on your plane. The engine vents over board. [/quote]

The breather is not there to vent water vapour, its there to vent combustion blow by gasses otherwise you'd blow out the oil seals as the crankcase pressure built up. Of course some water vapour does get vented but not much once the engine stops.

Its very common to leave the dipstick out in the homebuilt/acro crowds but I've never been very convinced as to how useful it is. I think it would be more useful to remove the dipstick and then put air through the breather to force an exchange of air in the crankcase but if the air you put in is humid you may not be doing much good. An exchange of dry air through the engine is probably not a bad idea though.

However by far the BEST thing is to fly a lot ;) ... and drain and replace the oil regularly.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

5x5 wrote:+1 for Therewewere. Risk vs reward simply doesn't compute favourably. Sometimes what seems to make "common sense", just doesn't.
+2. Fly your plane often, and you don't have to worry about moisture. You've already got a breather tube.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

This oil cap gets opened to check and add oil. That's it.

I would even suggest that you will draw more moisture in as it cools.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Or blow helium into the case, displace oxygen around the lifters etc. Wonder how quickly it would leak out..

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Nitrogen is about 100th the price and just as good.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Nitrogen is about 100th the price and just as good.[as helium]]
... and won't cause a weight and balance change either! :lol:

I agree with just fly the plane often, or, preserving oil and desiccant plugs.

jetmechgm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jetmechgm »

I find it difficult to imagine that in the age of human factors and all we have seen on this matter. Poor habits and practices as this exist.
Shame on the the AME that knowingly creates a chance for a inflight engine failure, I can not imagine that would be defined in an MPM or MCM and would create personal liability if an event occurred.

Return to “Maintenance”