Differences between the referral process and normal application process

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Differences between the referral process and normal application process

Post by bobbert »

What are the differences between the referral process and normal application process?

Are the tests different? are certain steps skipped?

You can just PM me if you want.

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

CBrassard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Differences between the referral process and normal application process

Post by CBrassard »

I am currently in the last phase of the referral process, just waiting on interview date. When referred your process is expedited, its only a application package, two quick tests (cognitive ability and spatial awareness) as well as a simulator eval. If you pass the testing session your on to the final interview, much quicker than a non referral.

navcanhopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by navcanhopeful »

Online: 8-20 months of waiting for a light to change Colour. Involving an in person exam and 2 interviews.

Referral: 1 day of testing and a practice simulation. Followed by an interview if you succeed. I know of people who have been placed on a course within 10 days of showing interest.

Armyguy25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Armyguy25 »

Who does the actual referral? Any existing ATC?

TGSky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TGSky »

From what I understand the tests/interviews are very similar, but as navcanhopeful said, it all happens much faster if your a referral.

chobs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chobs »

navcanhopeful wrote:Online: 8-20 months of waiting for a light to change Colour. Involving an in person exam and 2 interviews.

Referral: 1 day of testing and a practice simulation. Followed by an interview if you succeed. I know of people who have been placed on a course within 10 days of showing interest.
The wait isn't always that long. It all depends on when you apply versus when courses are upcoming.

And yes referrals are made by current ATC. That process doesn't include the online testing or phone interview but includes in-person testing different from the regular stream and an in-person interview.

navcanhopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by navcanhopeful »

chobs wrote:
navcanhopeful wrote:Online: 8-20 months of waiting for a light to change Colour. Involving an in person exam and 2 interviews.

The wait isn't always that long. It all depends on when you apply versus when courses are upcoming.

And yes referrals are made by current ATC. That process doesn't include the online testing or phone interview but includes in-person testing different from the regular stream and an in-person interview.
**Disclaimer**

The wait is often that long. 8-12 is more standard I guess

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Any Nav Canada employee can refer someone to the program. There is an online test done at Nav Canada (not at home), a simulation portion to evaluate a bunch of factors and in person interview. Depending on where you are doing the referral process all three may be administered during the same session.

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobbert »

Good to know,

Looks like I will be timing out of the IFR pool and was wondering If I should be restarting through the normal process or have someone I know who is a current ATC to refer me through the new referral process.

Is the testing similar to the in-person tests?

What about this simulation? Any online examples similar to what they are expecting?

RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

If you know someone who can/will refer you, that is probably your best bet. Consider that the employee referral program is new, and they are interested in accumulating statistics for whether it's more, or less, successful than the previous program. Due to this, it's likely they'll be taking most (or all) trainees from the referral program for a while.

All part of the changes to training under the new jefe.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

RunwayWindAltimer wrote:If you know someone who can/will refer you, that is probably your best bet. Consider that the employee referral program is new, and they are interested in accumulating statistics for whether it's more, or less, successful than the previous program. Due to this, it's likely they'll be taking most (or all) trainees from the referral program for a while.

All part of the changes to training under the new jefe.
Not 100% true. You may go through the process quicker but once you have completed all the steps in the referral program your score is compared to the candidates who apply through the normal process. There is no preference given to referral program employees for actually selection. So far I must admit that the referral program has fielded some very good candidates.

CBrassard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CBrassard »

How long do you have in a pool before you expire?

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobbert »

3 weeks

:shock:

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

CBrassard wrote:How long do you have in a pool before you expire?
18 months

controllercrazy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by controllercrazy »

Does anyone know what they test on in the referral process (in-person testing)? Can't seem to find much info on it... Thanks for the help!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”