New rfp for all alberta medevac

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:12 am

New rfp for all alberta medevac

#1 Post by Pt6-42 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:20 am

New rfp was supposed to come out? Anyone have any info?
---------- ADS -----------

nine sixteenths
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 am

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#2 Post by nine sixteenths » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:32 am

It's already come out and closed. I think the results are supposed to be announced by the end of October.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#3 Post by co-joe » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Any new metal in the bids or still 200's?
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2171
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#4 Post by rigpiggy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:52 am

Grouping northern Alta.
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: The sky

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#5 Post by Cessna driver » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:56 am

nine sixteenths wrote:It's already come out and closed. I think the results are supposed to be announced by the end of October.

were supposed to be... sounds like longer now
---------- ADS -----------

RILEY
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#6 Post by RILEY » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Any update on this?
---------- ADS -----------

Mercator
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#7 Post by Mercator » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Any updates yet!
---------- ADS -----------

MrTurbine
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#8 Post by MrTurbine » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Should be out by end of November hopefully. But AHS being another part government entity, it'll show up when ever it does. Northern Alberta RFP requires upgrade of aircraft, King Air 250s I think. Or quite newer 200s anyway.
---------- ADS -----------

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: the stars playground

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#9 Post by SuperchargedRS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:24 am

What a shame they don't use PC12s, far better ship for the mission.
---------- ADS -----------

MrTurbine
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#10 Post by MrTurbine » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:20 am

SuperchargedRS wrote:What a shame they don't use PC12s, far better ship for the mission.

Personally I think the King Air is the perfect machine. Most of the missions are less than an hour of flying time, and it's just easy to do in a King Air. There is a company that uses a Twin Otter that is retrofitted for bariatric patients. so for the heavier set patients, a wider body Twin Otter or 1900 is also available and great. I'm sure the PC-12 is a very capable airplane for a similar mission, but having two turboprop engines is a must for AHS contracts. And personally, I prefer it that way too.
---------- ADS -----------

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: the stars playground

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#11 Post by SuperchargedRS » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:44 pm

MrTurbine wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote:What a shame they don't use PC12s, far better ship for the mission.

Personally I think the King Air is the perfect machine. Most of the missions are less than an hour of flying time, and it's just easy to do in a King Air. There is a company that uses a Twin Otter that is retrofitted for bariatric patients. so for the heavier set patients, a wider body Twin Otter or 1900 is also available and great. I'm sure the PC-12 is a very capable airplane for a similar mission, but having two turboprop engines is a must for AHS contracts. And personally, I prefer it that way too.
It's really the rear door, size of the cabin, better landing gear and better sort field performance.

The multi engine saftey thing is more of a marketing pitch, how many MEDEVAC PC12s have gone down due to a engine failure?
---------- ADS -----------

godsrcrazy
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#12 Post by godsrcrazy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 pm

.

The multi engine saftey thing is more of a marketing pitch, how many MEDEVAC PC12s have gone down due to a engine failure?[/quote]
It only takes On
---------- ADS -----------

NotDirty!
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#13 Post by NotDirty! » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:49 pm

SuperchargedRS wrote:
MrTurbine wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote:What a shame they don't use PC12s, far better ship for the mission.

Personally I think the King Air is the perfect machine. Most of the missions are less than an hour of flying time, and it's just easy to do in a King Air. There is a company that uses a Twin Otter that is retrofitted for bariatric patients. so for the heavier set patients, a wider body Twin Otter or 1900 is also available and great. I'm sure the PC-12 is a very capable airplane for a similar mission, but having two turboprop engines is a must for AHS contracts. And personally, I prefer it that way too.
It's really the rear door, size of the cabin, better landing gear and better sort field performance.

The multi engine saftey thing is more of a marketing pitch, how many MEDEVAC PC12s have gone down due to a engine failure?
What's wrong with King Air doors?
Image
---------- ADS -----------

OPS
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:45 am

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#14 Post by OPS » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:41 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's an FAA only approved door mod. Not approved however by TC.
---------- ADS -----------

nine sixteenths
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 am

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#15 Post by nine sixteenths » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Beech makes king airs with the cargo door on them from factory, plus there's the STC available through Avcon that installs the same door that the beech factory installs, plus a smaller version of the cargo door as well. Both are STC modifications not just 337 form modifications. Just like putting Raisbeck wing lockers, or the lifeport system on with an STC

Here's the page for the cargo airstair combo door:

http://www.avconindustries.com/product_details.php?id=9

And the smaller "baggage" door:

http://www.avconindustries.com/product_ ... .php?id=14

There might be other companies out there making this type of modification as well, this is the one I've heard of.
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2171
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#16 Post by rigpiggy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Well dont tell PNR, or Central region. NAC, and helitransport both run KA's with the big door
---------- ADS -----------

MrTurbine
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#17 Post by MrTurbine » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:51 pm

hopefully the Cargo door is legal and approved by TC. I've seen a few of them flying around up north already.
In terms of PC-12 single engine VS. the twin turbine, yes, obviously it looks great on paper. But I would never ever want to see even a single one go down with pilots, medics, patient or even the patients family on board, which is common practice in the king air medevacs. It only takes one accident to change the course of history. I might be biased , but I prefer my airplanes with more than one engine.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3099
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#18 Post by co-joe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:40 am

The only 200 I've ever seen with the cargo door was Tindi's, which is a B200C from the factory. Looks great but I think it has a lower pressure differential than a regular B200 which can be an issue for some patients and can effect your range.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#19 Post by fish4life » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:08 pm

Why buy some fancy king air when a metro will do?
Big cargo door
Faster
Less fuel burn
Better cabin diff = lower pax cabin

Literally the only downside I can think of is noise
---------- ADS -----------

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:12 am

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#20 Post by Pt6-42 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:31 am

Because metro's are garbage
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#21 Post by goingnowherefast » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:43 am

fish4life wrote:Why buy some fancy king air when a metro will do?
Big cargo door
Faster
Less fuel burn
Better cabin diff = lower pax cabin

Literally the only downside I can think of is noise
Big door is generally not required, but can be STC'd.
Faster? Not too sure about that. With the -42 it will do 270kts and the -52 will touch 300kts. The King Air also climbs faster, so it's at altitude and cruising earlier. For the same stage length, I bet the race would be extremely close.
Okay, the Metro burns less fuel
Comparing 6.5 PSID to 7.0 really isn't worth mentioning.

How about ability to climb out of icing or above weather? The King Air is still making 850hp per side into the mid-teens and doing 1000+ fpm at FL280. How does the metro perform at 28,000ft?

King Airs also have better dispatch reliability and are more dependable.

I haven't met a pilot or mechanic that prefers the Metro over a King Air. Beechcraft are better to fly and easier fix.

If you are in a car crash, would you rather have a Chevy ambulance with a big turbo diesel V8 and studded winter tires come to get you, or a Oldsmobile with a straight-6 and Toyota Prius tires, because it burns less gas?
---------- ADS -----------

MrTurbine
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#22 Post by MrTurbine » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:49 pm

fish4life wrote:Why buy some fancy king air when a metro will do?
Big cargo door
Faster
Less fuel burn
Better cabin diff = lower pax cabin

Literally the only downside I can think of is noise



You know you've never flown a King Air when . .

To be honest, to cruise around North America with my family, I prefer a King Air 350 over most light jets!
---------- ADS -----------

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:47 am

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#23 Post by young grasshopper » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:36 pm

The only 200 I've ever seen with the cargo door was Tindi's, which is a B200C from the factory. Looks great but I think it has a lower pressure differential than a regular B200 which can be an issue for some patients and can effect your range.
Same pressurization limitations, and no negative effects on patient care. Primarily used due to contractual obligations for Bariatric transport, but can obviously be used for 'normal' medevac missions as well. Also makes loading/unloading a walk in the park!
---------- ADS -----------
YG

godsrcrazy
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#24 Post by godsrcrazy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:00 pm

[quote="goingnowherefast"][quote="fish4life"]Why buy some fancy king air when a metro will do?
Big cargo door
Faster
Less fuel burn


How about ability to climb out of icing or above weather? The King Air is still making 850hp per side into the mid-teens and doing 1000+ fpm at FL280. How does the metro perform at 28,000ft?


Any Metro with the -10 Garrett is making 1,000 HP continues.
---------- ADS -----------

NotDirty!
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#25 Post by NotDirty! » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:26 pm

godsrcrazy wrote: Any Metro with the -10 Garrett is making 1,000 HP continues.
Not at FL280 you're not!!! If you're not at 100% Torque and 100% RPM, then you are not making full rated horsepower.

BTW, the Metro 3 and 23 have -11, and -12 engines with even more power, but they still can't produce 1000 HP at FL280
---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”